Which wire is which

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2boyz

I installed a new Onan Generator and was running the the wires to the junction box under the master bed located by the generator compartment. The question I have is this, the generator has white,black and green wires.The junction box has white,black and a pink wires. What is the proper wire connection that I need to make?

What coach line uses pink?  My initial sense is w-w b-b g-p, but it is electric and you can't assume.  In your coach amnuals there should likely be some description. 

However green will be ground, so with a meter see if there is continuity from pink to chassis ground.  White should be neutral andblack power.

I have an All American 28' Toy Hauler- I'ved looked in the manuals and there is no information that will help.I will try the continuity test to see if the pink wire is a ground

If those are teh 120vac wires then White is the "Neutral"  (A word that really does not apply in this case) and hooks to the wite wire
The Black is the "hot" lead (Which does apply) and hooks to the black lead  These leads should go to an ATS

You will need to find out what the blazes the pink lead is, trace it to the other end, this culd be a "Generator sense" lead for an EMS or some such it might also be a  Generator sense for an ATS.

Green is Ground. and either connects to the Generator ground lead on the ATS (WHo knows, they may have used the PINK wire for that) or to the chassis

What do the white, black and pink wires connect to? It should either be an automatic transfer switch or a receptacle into which you will plug your RV's shore power cord. In either case, we need to verify what the pink wire actually does.

Another thing to look at is the pink wire the same size as the white and black?
A sensor line usually would be smaller the others will need to be able to carry the full load of the generator.

I really cannot folow the wires they go up into the front wall of the rv. the wires are the same size ... about 6 or 8 cord size(fairly large).

Locate your automatic transfer switch, see if the pink wire goes there, if so... Good chance it is the same pink wire

Use of proper test meters will confirm that.

If the RV did not come with a generator, you can be pretty sure it did not come with an expensive automatic transfer switch already installed.  If pre-wired for a generator, I suspect the wiring goes to a receptacle that the shore cord will plug into.

the rv does have lyght power systems transfer switch , i spoke with an electrician and he told me that the switch is made for 220v only and the generator is 120v . Is he correct

Depends on what model switch it is. The 30A switch is definitely 120v all the way. The 50A switch accepts 240v on the shore power side but should be ok with 120v from the generator as long as it supplies TWO hots and a neutral.  If you have the 50A switch, then that "pink" wire is probably intended to be red and therefore the 2nd hot wire from a large generator. You may not be able to use your generator with the 50A switch, though perhaps you could feed both the pink and the black from the generator black. I don't know if that would work ok or not.

Lyght Power 30A Switch

Lyght Power 50A Switch

i understand that i have a switch that requires two hot leads and a genset that has only one. if i was to run just one hot lead how will i know that the genset is working properly?

if i was to run just one hot lead how will i know that the genset is working properly?

I'm not sure what you are asking here.  ???  In its simplest form, the answer is the genset is working properly if you get electricity in the coach.

My suggestion was that you might run the single generator output hot lead to both transfer switch hot inputs. This is exactly what you do an shore power when a 30A-->50A adapter is in use, so it might work on the generator side as well.

sorry i'm not to direct on getting the info over to ya all - (hentz the word "newcomer") thank you for all your help !!!

I figued it out ,well maybe Roamer helped. I connected the green to ground the back and pink then the white to white ...works perfect

Correction to my last post ... I connected ,from the generator to the transfer box, the green to copper ground, the white to white , and the black to the black and pink  ;D  Thank You!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom