05 Jeep Grand cherokee Towing question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dayhiker

We have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3.7 litre 5 speed automatic trans 2 wd that is rated to tow 3500lbs. We want a travel trailer we can tow with this vehicle in the mountians of western nc as well as any where else the road may take us.

We were wondering if a dual axle trailer would allow us to tow more or if the dual axle just helped on load distribution. we are in greenville sc and hope to look at purchasing this weekend suggestions welcome.

Thanks Russell
www.RussellLedford.com

A dual axle trailer will increase the gross vehicle weight rating of the trailer but won't have any effect on the towing capacity of your Jeep.

Most trailers over about 2000 lbs will have dual axles anyway.

Look at pop-ups and hybrids. Or maybe look at the Trail Manor line. Better yet, start shopping for a more robust tow vehicle. You really should attempt to pull even 3500 lbs with the Jeep. By the time you deduct weight for passengers in the Jeep and the weight of the hitch itself, you need to be looking at trailers under 3000 lbs and you won't be happy pulling those in the mountains either.

I think we may have found a solution to our weight problem  :eek: 18' 2" long 9' 3" tall fully loaded with options 2336lbs R POD from Forest River Model RP- 175.

Check out the link... ;D

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?nav=rec&page=rpod&choice=brochure

Russell
www.RussellLedford.com

Hate to be picky.  But the brochure says the following option weight the following:
OPTIONS WT.
r-dome awning with screen room          20 LBS.
Convection microwave                          51 LBS.
11K BTU low profile air conditioner           95 LBS.
White sand interior wood package           0 LBS.
Axle riser                                               20 LBS.
Dolby Digital AM/FM/CD/DVD/TV combo     7 LBS.
TV antenna                                           6 LBS.

So add 200 lbs for options.  So up to 2536 lbs, which leaves you less than 1000 lbs for passengers, hitch, propane, clothing, gear, food, kitchenware, etc.  

You sound like you have been talking to a dealer, only them would tell you the weight in the brochure is fully-loaded.  Challenge him to drive it to a public scale to weight it.

Edit to Add:  I do love the way it looks though, it is a nice trailer.

Good point thanks for the input, i dont think we will have a 1000lbs of us and gear but i have been wrong before.

I understand the temptation to get a new trailer, I had the new trailer fever 3 years ago.  I did not have much wiggle room either.  I would not go as far as to say I regret it, but if would sure help if it was 500 lbs lighter.  And as close (if not over) as I am, I would certainly would not want to tow in the mountains, I've only driven on mostly flat with hills, but no mountains.

My dealer let me take it for a test drive before leaving, but the trailer was unloaded and I did not have the wife and kid with me.  So the experience was not realistic.

If you can take it for a drive, ask the dealer to fill up two of the 3 tanks if they are on or in front of the axle.  May still not be a true test, but that will give you an extra 500 lbs.

Hang in there, you'll find the right combo eventually.  Some places rent trailers, could also be worth renting one of a similar length and weight to try out.

That jeep is awesome. I wonder if how much will it cost me to purchase one for my collection? By the way, the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the 2004-05 Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey have been cleared in two individual studies carried out by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Both car makers managed to avoid recalls in the decision. Read more here.

Back
Top Bottom