Running light problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoyM

I have been going through our new to us 83 Vanguard 5ver and am replacing the running lights. I am unable to get power to the passenger side tail light and a nearby side marker light. I know the ground is good because the brake/turn works. Does the feed come from a junction box in the unit or the other light. The rear marker lamps work fine. I could peel the skin and run a new wire from the other tail lamp but I would really rather not get into that.

The two tail lights are Tee'd off one wire, but whether the "T" is is anybody's guess. It would probably be simpler to run another wire from the front, either from the plug itself or from whatever point you can get access to the main wire harness.  There is a chance the wires run under the trailer along the frame too, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. Usually just the brake wires under there.

RoyM said:
I have been going through our new to us 83 Vanguard 5ver and am replacing the running lights. I am unable to get power to the passenger side tail light and a nearby side marker light. I know the ground is good because the brake/turn works. Does the feed come from a junction box in the unit or the other light. The rear marker lamps work fine. I could peel the skin and run a new wire from the other tail lamp but I would really rather not get into that.

the grounds may be separate for each tail light bulb. try grounding the socket assemble. if that doesn't fix your problem, check for power at the socket. cleaning the lamp contacts and socket sometimes works also. :)

I am installing new lights, the ground is common to both filaments. There is no power at the two wires to the tail light. I don't see any harness under the trailer so assume they are inside the walls.

We are good to go. I started at the plug, shudda done that first, and found a poor ground connection. Obviously there was too much voltage drop to run the whole circuit. Now the brakes work too. Amazing. ::)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom