Volvo XC90 as a Tow vehicle and engine differences.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pixxels

Hi,
I posted this question on mfg. specific board as well because I'm considering their trailer (Bantam Flier)
I'm trying to figure out the real difference between two options in the Volvo XC90.  We are getting it primarily as a safe family vehicle since we have a 15 month old.  BUT  I really want to camp with the family and my wife wants to 'sleep in a box'.  :)

Volvo says the tow capacity of the XC90 is the same regardless of engine, but I'd like your advice. 

1st option
2007 Inline Six I6: 235hp @ 6,200 rpm and 236 @ 3,200 rpm with a GVWR 5,790 - 6,005 lbs. (I have to check on this specific vehicle)
Max Trailer weight of 4,960lbs (from cars.com) (80% is 3968lbs)

2nd option
2006 V8: 311hp @ 5,850 rpm and 325 @ 3,900 rpm with a GVWR 6,080 lbs.
Max Trailer weight of 5,000lbs (from cars.com) (80% is 4000lbs)

I'm in the west so based on Carl L's advice I should stick to 80% of the Tow rating.  It looks to be only 40lbs difference between the two, but i'm worried about 76 less horse power and 100 less foot lbs of torque.  BTW the 40lbs drop is due to the year not the engine.

Opinions?  Does anyone have experience towing the same trailer with two different tow vehicles like this?

thanks in advance,
Scott

The tow rating is not based on pleasing performance - it is based on what is mechanically reliable from an engineering standpoint and usually on what is safe for the manufacturer from a legal liability standpoint. Things like transmission and axle and the frame mount for a hitch have as much to do with the tow rating as the engine size.

So the 06 V8 is likely to be a better performing tow vehicle even though the rating is the same. 

Hi all, I'm back.  I ended up getting an '07 v8 XC90.  Same performance ratings as the '06.

I just found a good condition older trailer that is a over the 80% gvwr guideline so I thought I'd put it out there to get feedback.

Tow Vehicle:  2007 V8: 311hp @ 5,850 rpm and 325 @ 3,900 rpm with a GVWR 6,080 lbs.
Max Trailer weight of 5,000lbs (from cars.com) (80% is 4000lbs).  15' 8" length.  6' 2.7" wide
Link to yahoo specs for length etc.  http://autos.yahoo.com/2007_volvo_xc90_v8-specs/

Trailer:  1999 Fleetwood model 721G.  GVWR is 4400lbs  (2200lbs per axle).  Dry weight is 3030lbs.  21' long x 7.2' wide.  I really like that it's a dual axle because I'm assuming dual axle is more stable than single and this is one of the few dual axles I've seen near 4000lbs GVWR.  This site has the detailed product info as a pdf in case I didn't included an important piece of info. http://www.bluenoserv.com/2008_rv_brochures/view_category.html. The 1999 Fleetwood Prowler Flyer link.

I'm a little worried because the trailer is over 5' longer than the xc90, plus it's taller and wider.

Thanks in advance for the free advice.  :)

Attachments

• DSC03152.jpg
    DSC03152.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3385_sm.jpg
    IMG_3385_sm.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 7
Volvo says the tow rating for the V8 is 4960 lbs, so you are probably within reason if you carefully keep the loaded weight on the trailer down under the gvwr.  My guess is that performance will be so-so, since that appears to be a high reving V8 with most of the power at very high rpms, whereas trailer towing needs good torque and hp at lower rpms. The 6 speed tranny will help, though.

Yes, the tail is going to be bigger than the dog. It's not a huge trailer, but it IS bigger than the tow vehicle. Other people do that and it is not a rolling , but it also is pushing the limits somewhat. Since family safety is obviously a primary concern to you, so you may want to reconsider.

Frankly, you would be better off with a large SUV, e.g. Suburban or Yukon, for towing. They too are quite safe for a family (size alone is a big factor - lots of vehicle around you for your protection) and you could tow that trailer without fear.

Back
Top Bottom