My tire story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zukIzzy

I have a 2003 four winds Infinity 34r class A on a ford chassis. It has been the single best purchase I have ever made for my family. We have seen and done things that others only dream of and the best part is we do it together, often with the kids bringing a friend who also get to experience the fun and adventure of RVing.

This past sunday we set out on just such a trip, with the boat in tow and 2 of the kids plus a friend of my 15 year old daughter. My oldest daughter stayed home to drive out with friends and meet us at lake Havasu AZ Monday morning.

Now I have been religious about maintenance and tire care for the 6 years and 80,000 miles we have owned this motorhome and I knew the tires were nearing their expiration. I had purchased new front tires september of 2008 but was trying to get a few more miles out of the drives. Stupid in hind site but I thought I could get by with it cause I have taken good care of the tires they are inside most of the time and parked on plastic tire sheilds with most of the weight on the jacks. Times are tough my business has been deathly sow this year and I am trying to save anywhere I can to get by till things pick up.

In may I had a blow out of the right rear inner. No damage we were going slow and I was able to get it stopped quick. put the spare on and continued our short trip to the desert for  the weekend. This was a red flag and I started pricing and looking around for the best deal on tires. even at the best price I could find I was looking at $1500 that I just did not have or at least that was my rationalization. I mounted up the best tire from the front I had kept when I replaced them for a spare and we went on a couple short trips to a local lake and a desert race or 2. No problems but I knew I was pushing it.

Then my oldest daughter asked if we would take the boat to Havasu cause there was not room on the one boat that was going for everybody that wanted to go. I never turn down a boating trip so We decided (OK I decided My wife said to just buy the tires) we could get one more trip out of them after all I had taken good care of them and other people get away with much worse and money is tight and.............You know how it goes

So there we are happily driving east on the 10 in Indio Ca looking forward to getting to the lake early and getting a few hours in before dark and BAM THUMP,THUMP, THUMP, I got to the shoulder fast with no incident and got out to have a look. The left side outer had blown and the loose wire belts had knocked a hole in the utility compartment, taken out the black water valve and removed any wiring they could reach, and ripped everything but the power cord from inside the compartment, dump hose, tank chemicals, a new fresh water hose all my connection fittings and adapters. I could see all this stuff but I was not going into the freeway to get it and most of it had been run over by now anyway.

OK lesson learned I have to get new tires and fix the black water before we go WHY do I never learn. I put on the spare and start driving for home or wherever I can find 245x70x19.5" tires which are hard to find on a sunday afternoon. No road service has them AAA can't find anyone with any with the load rating I need. I finally find a set in San Bernardino at Camping World. OK so that is where we are going and I can fix the valve there too. Service is closed but I can find someone to mount and balance. Then BAM THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, We did not get 20 miles. This time it was the right side outer and it did more damage including fiberglass, hole in the fresh water tank more wires and blew out the inner wall in the bathroom. I figure  the sudden expansion of air got inside the wall and removed the inner wall panel for me.

So here we are off the 10 freeway in Cabazon with another flat tire no spare and still 50 miles to the only RV tires I have been able to locate. We called a tow company for pricing and that was an option but a high dollar one that I wanted to avoid. We all spent about 40 minutes on the phone trying to find a tire or the best option. It came down to IF I could get the tires to me I could get a road service to mount them but not balance them. I called my daughter and told her to get in my truck and head for Camping world, but first grab my tire Irons, CO2 bottle and Nitrogen bottle from the shop and transfer money to buy tires into her account. In the mean time I used the lug wrench and a small 5/8" wrench to remove the blown tires from the wheels. I had lots of time may as well do something, I also was able to clean up the mess of the utility compartment and asses that damage. Turns out it was very fixable with some parts, glue and a saw. I called Mike @ Camping world and gave him my list, he called back and told me he had it all and would have it with  the tires when Nicole got there.

Nicole came through like a champ and when she arrived I was able to get a tire mounted on a wheel inflated and on the motorhome to get us off the freeway. By then everything was closed and the tire service wanted a lot of money to do what I was fully capable of doing so I busted down the other tires and mounted them up right there in the Dinasour parking lot (some of you will know where we were).  I fixed the black water valves and the wiring enough to finish the trip and we were on our way.

The rest of the drive was uneventfull. The boat broke but we were able to fix that too. I had the tires inspected and balanced at my favorite tire shop yesterday and everything was fine and the balanced up nicley. today the Insurance adjuster is comming at noon to do her thing. I will let you know how that goes.

I will never let an RV tire get 6 years old again. I have seen the light and do believe.

Wayne

Wow Wayne, man tough circumstances but thanks for sharing!  An inspirational story as well, since you are/were able to repair much of it yourself although it sounded pretty severe.  We ought to bookmark this page in a new Library section called "Threads we can all learn from" ... !  :)

Glad you seem to have kept a pretty positive attitude throughout and will be up and running again.  I too am the kind to squeeze every last drop from a penny, but I will certainly NOT plan that tactic with my Class A's tires!  They are vintage 2006 luckily so I should have at least 2 more seasons left after this year.

Sing hallelujah

In the end it cost me over double the price of a new set of tires to try to get one more trip. Bad choice on my part, get to hear the I told you so from my better 3/4 and know she is right AGAIN and have a new to do list to add to the already over due to do list. Insurance adjuster was very nice and gave me her estimate but I can fix it for less then the deductible if I do the work myself so I think I will go that route. She was open to that option and gave me a list of things I must do to avoid possible problems including pictures and some forms to fillout and send in.

An ounce is better then a pound kind of thing in this case.

Wayne

Thanks for posting about this, Wayne.

I've got this one filed away in the old memory banks.

Sad story, Wayne, but at least you were able to get through it and continue on your way.  I just put new tires on the front too (no  choice - had a sidewall failure already), but an figuring to get another year from the rears - they are 5.5 years old now.  Hope my luck runs better than yours cause I have only 50k miles on them.

You might also want to consider a Roadside Assistance plan when your business picks up again. Coach-Net could have made your ordeal a little easier.

RV Roamer said:
Sad story, Wayne, but at least you were able to get through it and continue on your way.  I just put new tires on the front too (no  choice - had a sidewall failure already), but an figuring to get another year from the rears - they are 5.5 years old now.  Hope my luck runs better than yours cause I have only 50k miles on them.

You might also want to consider a Roadside Assistance plan when your business picks up again. Coach-Net could have made your ordeal a little easier.

Not sad, nobody got hurt and something was learned. The family pulled together to fix the problem and we made a memory that we will share years from now. A great story once it is over IMHO ;D

You know I thougth we had AAA roadside RV but they said we did not when I called. My wife is looking into that cause she swears it was added a few years ago. At any rate we will certainly have a roadside assistance plan before we head out again.

This is the kind of thing you want to come from an ordeal like this. Hopfully sombody will read and take steps to avoid this happening to them.

As far as the age of the tires goes the oldest one was made the 41st week of 2002 the newest was the 4th week of 2003. I think one of the major contributing factors is that I am at or near Max weight on the rear axle most of the life of the tires. It may have reduced the life of the tires just a bit 6 years is now my self imposed max and if I try to stretch it I bet the boss of 20 years will not allow it ;D

Wayne

This seems like an appropriate thread to ask... what exactly does a Coach-Net membership dues get you, in the event of a roadside breakdown?  I know they can send out tow trucks or service companies for on-site repairs, but are you still responsible for any part & labor costs?

I've read many of the instances here of expert help over the phone, and other glowing reviews and recommendations of Coach-Net.  For now I have roadside assistance with my insurance carrier (Progressive) that is specifically designed for RV's but I wonder if Coach-Net would ever be worth the extra cost.

ours show 2505 I took that to meen the 25week of 2005. but our coach is alway's light, we don't haul alot..ever.not to mention it sets inside a shop building when not in use.

That was an expensive lesson for sure. How come we have to learn all the hard ones by personal experience? Tire date codes are on my check list for our new to us trailer.

Thanks for sharing your story.

I have tires that 'expire' in October and since we are only planning on some short trips of less than 100 miles for the Summer I WAS planning on waiting until the end of the season and then get tires in the Spring since we do not use our RV in the Winter.  My thought was that I could get an extra 6 months of life over the winter and therefore extend the life of the new set.  You have me thinking twice about that.

Your story also reminded me of some childhood memories.  We had a boat and took it on a trip of about 350 miles one way.  Long story short - three tires on the same side of a single axle because of we could not find a tire of the right size and heavy enough plys.

After about 6 hours too long with too many kids in the car and being about 50 miles from our destination and yet another flat tire on the opposite side at about midnight.... [long sentence on purpose]... my Dad left the boat on the side of the road for the night and we went to the resort.

In the morning, Dad went alone [as a father of 5 kids myself, I now know why he wanted to go alone] to get the boat.  There was a highway patrolman stopped by the boat.  As my Dad drove up and identified himself as the boat owner, the highway patrolman said, "You know that you should not leave a boat on the road like this.  Someone might steal it."

My Dad simply replied, "I was hoping they would."

kevin said:
it sets inside a shop building when not in use.

Is there any electric welding going on inside the shop? I had a problem with a side wall in a set of yoko's for the race car. and while talking to them about possible warranty replacement they mentioned that if the tires were stored where there is welding it can effect the tire compound they didn't say what it would do but they asked.

Arc welding generates ozone, which is a strong oxidant and if sufficiently concentrated can chemically interact with the rubber. Surface cracking is the usual symptom, though cracking can occur for a variety of reasons.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom