slideout lock... doesn't?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

??? I think the slideout lock isn't working. 

When I retract the larger slide, I'm supposed to activate a slide lock but when I push the switch, I hear nothing these days.  I think I used to hear a motor run for a few seconds but that was before the HWH hydraulics problem.  I've checked the switch, the fuze panel and, if the lock in in the middle of the slide, on top, then I've looked to see what I could see (not much).  I took the screws out of a black plastic cover but the cover must be glued to the roof of the slide so I'm hesitant to knock it hard enough to break the bond when there probably isn't anything wrong with the motor. 

Then I looked through the wiring configuration "manual" and found that Winnebago lock motor wires are labeled PPU, PPV, PPX and there is a flat four conductor cable behind the front fuze panel with a white connector that is not connected to anything... but I can't find anything that it might connect to?

What might I do next?  pull off the dashboard plastic so I can see the switch?  Or is there some diagnostic I can run to pinpoint the problem?

any suggestions will be appreciated .... :-\ ??? ??? :)

I have had the same problem with both of my slide locks. I took it into the Winnebago factory and had them look at it. Their answer was that they tend to bind. They told me to loosen the four nuts that hold the motor to the backing plate. Then wiggle the motor assembly and tighten it back up. That does it most of the time but is an annoyance because it happens again later. I have also had loose wire problems in the wiring harness that is under the cover. In fact this is on my list to check out again because one lock is not working right now. I think my current problem is electrical so I am going to check out the electrical plugs and see what I can do to either tighten or bypass the plugs and eliminate this problem.

Darn you guys are good. I was having the same problem, followed your instructions and 15 minutes later had the lock fixed. Thanks so much this and all the help I get from the framily.

John and Ann

Lock, really? All I have (had) is some goofy strap that attached from the trim molding to the floor. Excellent method for trim removal.

If I understand you correctly, I do need to take the black plastic cover off in order to gain access to the motor?  Thanks so much for your comments and insights!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

travelingsages said:
I have had the same problem with both of my slide locks. I took it into the Winnebago factory and had them look at it. Their answer was that they tend to bind. They told me to loosen the four nuts that hold the motor to the backing plate. Then wiggle the motor assembly and tighten it back up. That does it most of the time but is an annoyance because it happens again later. I have also had loose wire problems in the wiring harness that is under the cover. In fact this is on my list to check out again because one lock is not working right now. I think my current problem is electrical so I am going to check out the electrical plugs and see what I can do to either tighten or bypass the plugs and eliminate this problem.

taoshum said:
??? I think the slideout lock isn't working. 

I took the screws out of a black plastic cover but the cover must be glued to the roof of the slide so I'm hesitant to knock it hard enough to break the bond when there probably isn't anything wrong with the motor.   
I can relate, when my toad turn signal quit working & we went looking for the fuse, we ran into a similar problem.

We took the top cover in the compartment where we were told the fuse would be. After looking behind that top panel, we put it back on, thinking, nobody in their right mind would put a fuse in there. After researching other RV'ers, we were convinced it must be in there. When we went to remove the bottom panel, it was sealed in so tightly, we had to use a chisel & 30" pry bar to break it loose. Then after working through a rats nest of wires, in the back of this compartment was a third cover to remove. We were then able to locate the blown fuse.
We sure are glad there is such good help on these forums.  PS: We have now added a new access door. 

Method B to free up slideout lock motor...

1) Remove black plastic cover over motor and screw assy.
2) Go find your fully charged cordless drill/screwdriver battery (12 VDC min).
3) Separate 2-wire connector going to motor. Yellow is +, black is -.
4) With an appropriate set of jumper wires, e.g. meter leads, momentarily connect battery to motor BACKWARDS (+ to -, - to +)
5) Motor should reverse and become unbound.
6) Connect battery connector.
7) Test lock mechanism a few times from whatever switch is normally used and observe how it is supposed to work.
8) Reassemble remainder of whatever you took apart.

I have done this 3x now. Same slideout each time, large one on street side. Got procedure from Winne Service Admin. This method ensures that motor mount does not end up in different position.

Thanks, guys! 

One of my two slides locks is apparently not working.  I don't hear the unlocking/locking click like I do hear on the other side.  I have to try that drill battery trick.  I guess my lock is stuck in the unlocked position, because I can run the slide in and out no problem.

Hope to get to check it next week if I can find a few minutes.  Oh to be retired!

Best Regards!

One more thing for all us slide lock guys.  On the slide, there is a little nipple looking thing that is up high on the slide outside of the lock about the size of a dime.  It is a drain for any moisture that gets in under the slide topper.  Sometimes they get plugged up by dust that gets under the slide topper and the water that blows in under the slide in a heavy rain will drain into the inside plastic cover and then overflow into the cabinet.  Don't ask me how I know this.  :-[

Every once and a while, take either a toothpick or a paperclip (straightened out) and push it into the hole and make sure it is clear and open.  Then it will drain properly and your cabinets will stay dry.

See, John, you don't have to be envious, it's one more thing to maintain!  ;D

Best Regards!

My slide lock cover started leaking badly and after removing I found that some type of previous maintenance (not mine) had shredded the rubber boot that's supposed to collect the water and drain it outside.  I removed the lock assembly and fabricated a cover.  My problem is now that if I unplug the lock assembly the slide won't operate.  There is a two-wire connector plug, and one wire each to each side of the lock arm.  Any ideas how I can connect the wiring to defeat the lock?  I second the 2X4 method; this one is a leak waiting to happen.

;D ;D ;D 

I tried the solution mentioned above... i.e., loosen the 4 attachment bolts and let the locking plunger "float" for a while... then operate it, then re-tighten the bolts.  It worked and I really appreciate the suggestion. 

I'll save the 2x4 for later.

thank!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom