door rattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bama

We have a 2004 Vectra. The door has a loud rattle - drives us crazy. We have had about 3 different people try to fix it with no success.

Any suggestions??

Sounds like you may have the original door striker bolt -- that certainly is a symptom many of us had in '03 & '04. Winnebago replaced the original striker bolt with a new teflon coated version.  You might check a local dealer, or Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City (1-800-343-6255) for the teflon coated bolt.

Thanks for the information for the door part. We have one on the way! Will let you all know if it stops the rattle.

Try wrapping some electrical tape around the door bolt two times. Had same problem in my class c and the noise went away

A couple wraps of electrical tape has worked for me also since 2005.

It might not be the latch, which is more of a squeal on our rig.

Our 2004 Horizon suffered this problem, as did our 2001 Horizon. For us, the issue on both was that the door is made of 2 layers, an inner "sub skin" and the exterior "skin"  that we see. The problem occurs at highway speeds and can be exacerbated by strong or buffeting winds across the front right corner of the rig. What we learned is that the outer skin of the door flexes and rattles against the inner "sub skin".

Our solution was to dis-assemble the door and insert a buffer (in this case, indoor/outdoor carpet) between the 2 surfaces. Worked like a charm after much consternation on the 2001 and its wasn't a fight to get Winnie to do it in 2004 on the current one. Quiet ever since. It also adds some silence to the door, quieting the passenger area a little. (side note: I am about to cover the entire underside of the front cockpit area exposed metal with reflectix insulation to add R value and quiet!)

The outer skin of the lower part of door is riveted on, and its easier if you remove the window glass first. It sounds scary, but it really wasn't that bad. (I was naughty and watched the tech do it). I made sure that they re-assembled it with copious Sikaflex, and rivets.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Hey B&J - good to see you guys active here  ;D

We have never had door issue number one with our '05 - apparently Winnie figured out the problem(s) and it got taken care of by the time my unit went down the line.

My 2009 Sightseer has/had a MAJOR rattle/squeak in the door.  I finally figured out the electrical tape trick and that seemed to quiet the racket.  I am still interested in silencing it further and may pull the door apart and insert the carpet as another poster mentioned.  Seems like the entire latch mechanism needs a design overhaul.  A single bolt just doesn't seem adequate for the weight and shape of and RV door.  Maybe adding a second bolt post latch or something more akin to an automotive design?

Mc2Guy,

Its Important to understand that the sound that is quieted by the tape is generally NOT related to the rattle in the door, fixed by the carpet insertion.

If the tape fixes your problem completely, you do NOT need to add carpet.

They are 2 different problems.

John: Thanks! Moder2 and I were chatting about you and the CRD this morning. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom