??? RECOMMENDATIONS ??? Need a really inexpensive computer(laptop)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddog348

Cousin (68yr)recently diagnosed cancer in left lung --- entered hospice last weekend. Is on meds most of the time.  Wants computer. We tried to get his old computer  set up for him in his room today.  It is fried - says hadn't used couple of months.

Want to get him some thing can play his Hoyle Board games on. Maybe word processer. Will not have internet access. Don't want to spend a lot of $$$$ for possibly very short time.($200$300)

Need simplest - CHEAPEST that will do above. What kind ???- where to buy???  Any suggestion appreciated.          THANX,  Kate

was going to suggest the EEEpc but with only a 7 to 10 inch screen. might be a bit small. I have one and my hands are not really large and I can almost reach every key on the key board using my thumbs to type. (that might explain some of my spelling errors)

Check local computer store they may have some older machines around they may even lend. or pawn shop would have cheap older units.

Lots of used computer son Ebay and craigslist, but you might be better off buying a new cheap one (try www.tigerdirect.com) and selling  it afterwards.  That way you get one you know works well right out of the box (literally).

I found on ebay you had to pay upwards of $175 to get a decent used laptop, so a $399 new one is not a bad deal. Ought to be able to get $175-225 back when selling it.

Here is a factory refurb for $339:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4553294&Sku=S445-150034

and a bew HP for $379
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4431416&Sku=H24-15055

Walmart sells many low priced computers. They have a decent one with a 15 inch screen for $350

Check the major manufacturers web sites, most sell refurbished computers at reasonable prices.  Check Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc. for refurbed notebooks.  A Google search on refurbished notebook will turn up many sources.

Thanks All,  Will go out looking today. BstBy-Wally-Costco etc.etc.

1275gtsport, Yes you are right he has PAWS like a big old bear. 

Thanks again,  Kate

I see NED beat me to the refurb site too.. I've seen refurb-ed Netbooks well under 200 bucks in searching, Don't know how good they are but I've seen them

Watch out for Solid State Drives though.. Many netbooks come with next to nothing in the drive department (A solid state drive)  These drives are barely large enough to hold the operating system.  Don't leave much for Word Processing documents or additionaly games such as Hoyle to be added

Old lap top revived  ;D ;D ;D  no batt must be plugged into 110 But it works - at least for now..  Thanks for all the suggestions.  Kate 

Back
Top Bottom