No hot water. Waterheater working. Adventurer 35A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arne

After a "helpful" neighbor tried to fix a leak in my water system we have no hot water. I suspect that he toggled some valves. 
The leak was in the water pump itself.  The pump has been replaced, and the two valves I can see are returned to Normal (The water heater is not bypassed, and I am not winterizing).  When I tried to drain the water heater, warm water came out, but here is no hot water inside the rig.  There is heat coming from the heater vent.  Also I cannot find an easy way to access the heater without removing a body panel (not a door).

I am sure there is a simple solution but I have no idea what it is.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Arne

You say there is no hot water inside the rig, but is there cold water from the hot faucets or no flow at all??

Just to be sure, have you tried it with the WH bypass in the other position?

There is normally a check valve on the outlet side of the WH (normally on the back side of the WH), which is suppsoed to let hot water out and prevent cold water from back-flowing into the WH. On my system it is pretty obvious as it is brass colored and the rest of the pluimbing is white plastic. Many owners have had problems with that check valve self-desctructing inside and restricting or stopping hot water flow. Some have replaced it with a new one, some have simply knocked the inside of the valve out (many are plastic inside) and found that their system works fine without the check valve. 

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes we get plenty of cold water when we try to take a hot shower.  As for valves on the waterheater itself,  I see no way to get access without taking the rig appart, and it is inlikely that anything has changed there in the last 3 days.

arnre

Perhaps one of your water valves is a "blend" valve that mixes the hot and cold water.  If it's turned all the way one direction, you get 100% cold water from the FW tank or hookup supply.  All the way the other direction, you get 100% hot water (at a low flow rate usually) from the HW tank.  The ideal spot is somewhere in the middle, that gets you hot enough water at high enough pressure.

Arne - I have also heard about the hot/cold water valves on an outside shower wand being in the on position with the shower wand head turned off (I can't quite figure that one out) - maybe check everything that is easily moved or changed.

We now have hot water.  The handle of the heater by-pass valve fell off when I installed a new water pump.  I inadvertently re-attached it upside down.  Hence I was bypassing the heater when I meant to be in the "Normal" mode. Reattaching it in the correct position was all it took.

As I suspected it was a simple solution, however it took me quite a while to find it.  The give-away came when water gushed out of the hot water faucets when the water heater was fully drained with the drain plug removed..

arne

Arne said:
water gushed out of the hot water faucets when the water heater was fully drained with the drain plug removed..

Now THAT is a neat trick!  ;D

Glad you found the solution and are back to taking hot showers again.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom