breakers getting hot and tripping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff04

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Sequoia and when running the A/C the breakers get real hot to the touch and the 30 Amp breaker keeps tripping and the A/C then shuts off? There is nothing else running in the trailer but a few lights? Is there something wrong with the A/C? It's funny cause sometimes it will run for 4 to 5 hours no problem then sometimes it will only run for 1 hour before getting hot and tripping? This is my only complaint on my new / used pop-up I bought in Jan of 09. I just don't want to catch the thing on fire or damage anything else and make it worse !!!! 

Hi Jeff, in the absence of replies, let me give you my thoughts.

With the A/C running and little else, the major power consumer is obviously the A/C.

I highly suspect a low voltage coming from the power pole. When voltage drops the current going through the breakers goes up, causing heating and tripping.

I would definitely get one of the little dial voltmeters that you plug into an 120V outlet and leave it there at all times. (Most RV shops have them). It should register at least 117 V whenever your are plugged in to shore power and even when running a possible generator.

carson FL

This may not be the problem, but you should eliminate that possibility.

It's not unusual for road vibration to make the screws holding the wires to the circuit breaker loosen up.  Then you get heating at the junction, which heats up the breaker and makes it trip at a lower current.

Check the wire connections to the breaker, make sure they're nice and tight and the insulation isn't discolored or burnt from excessive heating.  While you're in the breaker box, also check the screws holding the neutral and ground wires to their busses.

Breakers can also be damaged by a high current trip.  If an arc burns the contact points inside the breaker, the contacts will get hot  under load and make the breaker trip at a lower current in the future.

I am gonna get in there and take a look this week after work. Thanks for the help guys. I thought it may have been a bad breaker? I am heading out on July 10th with the wife alone with no kids and need to get it fixed. Camping with the guys all weekend and never heard anyone complaining but camping with the wife and no A/C and breaker tripping uhhhh Like I said I need to get it fixed!!! Just trying to avoid taking it to dealership and paying for that bill. Thanks again!!!!

With overload of breakers by the A/C, the way to bet is low voltage, browned out, campground power.  The phenomenon is not so rare as it should be -- especially if hot weather is imposing a load on marginal camp wiring.

You need to get a plug in voltmeter, digital or needle, and plug it into a centrally visible outlet and leave it there -- mine is in the kitchen next to the stove.   If the voltage drops below 110 VAC it is time to get nervous.   You might switch the fridge to 'gas only'.  If it drops below 105 VAC it is time to shut off the A/C.   The problem with A/C is that the motor cycles on and off.  Every time it cycles on, it gives a resistance spike and the load on your trailer's 120VAC system goes a bit bananas.  

That said, it could not hurt to have someone give the 120VAC system a check out.

I am an electrician and circuit breakers rarely go bad. I have never heard of a breaker getting hot because it was bad. I agree with the other posters that it is probably a loose connection or low voltage.

Pulled out the 30 amp breaker last night and yes the breaker was burned up on the back side where it connects. Explaining the bad smell we kept getting in the camper. I went to the home depot and got a new 30 amp breaker and installed it last night. The wife and I are heading out tonight for weekend of camping with no kids. I hope this was the problem. We will see very soon wish us luck. I hope this was the problem because 4.00 fix would make me smile right now along with a cold camper while sleeping in and being able to sleep past 7 am without any kids jumping on top of me!!!!!!!!! They will be coming along next trip.

A common problem with RV's is we often have a few screws loose

Copper wire expands and contracts at a rate quite different from the screw that holds it to the breaker, this means that those screws work loose (You thought I meant a different kind of screw perhaps?, no, I was refering to the very screw you just tightened)  Checking them from time to time,,, Good plan.  Usually after the first couple of re-tightenings they hold well.... USUALLY.... l(Means not always)

Back
Top Bottom