Slide Out Woes Class A Winnebago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carljudy

We have a slideout that drops down making the slide out even with floor.  Sept. 2008 bolts holding compartments broke and we spent 3 days getting that fixed.  Turns out we received larger bolts for the repair. 

Jan 2009  slide out began pushing up the rug.  It didn't rip it, just bunched it up.  We went to Lazydays to have it fixed. They said the rail was bent and caused slide not to come up high enough.  They replaced rail and fixed the rug.  Thought problem solved.

April 2009 Slide out began to rip rug on front end behind the driver's seat.  We went to a dealer in Albuquerque NM to see what the problem was.  The dealer said it needed readjustment, that the front end of slide was low.  So things were good and problem solved. 

April 2009 we decided to contact Winnebago for appointment to have the slide checked along with some other things we were concerned about.  By the time we arrived here June 21 - slide had started making noises going out and coming in.  Winnebago inspected it today and found plastic bushing broken and in need of replacement. 

Has anyone out there had this type of problem with their slide.

We seem to have ongoing issues with this slide.

Thanks
carl and judy
2004 winnebago adventure

I have heard about the plastic (nylon maybe) bushings or guides cracking and breaking in the large living room slide, but other than that, not too much in the way of trouble reported.  If you can swing by the HWH factory in Moscow, I highly recommend you let them fix the slide problems.

This is the same problem that I am having but have not been able to diagnose yet. First was the bunching of the carpet just behind the driver then the carpet came loose under the sofa, the next thing was a tear just behind the drivers seat. Now the slide seems to be dropping too soon and hangs up on the way out.  Have you been successful in a repair and what was the issue? ???

On the last 5ver that I had, the living slide was a flush floor slide.  The edge of the floor that was under the slide had a 4" piece of hard plastic that guided the slide up and over the lip when bringing the slide in or out.  The carpet on the slide was cut about 6" wider than the slide and when fully opened, covered the plastic piece.  If the slide is sagging and dragging the carpet it needs to be adjusted with the leveling bolts underneath. The worse case senario would be that the floor of the slide has buckled and needs to be replaced.

John, when we had the issue with the bins on the slide in Sept  HWH stated to us that once the slide in installed they no longer have anything to do with problems that  arise.  Other than sending us new bolts which we paid for, they have nothing else to contribute.

In the case of the rug bunching when the slide came it, Lazydays, Tampa FL stated that the "guide bar" was bent and replaced by Lazydays and paid for by our extended warranty. That was in January 2009.    Everything seemed ok at that time.  By the time we arrived in Albuquerque NM we were having additional  problems when the slide began tearing the carpet behind the driver's seat.  The rest of the length of the slide appeared to be ok. 

In Albuquerque at Rocky Mtn RV, we were told the slide needed adjusting.  We had it done.  Extended warranty would not pay for any of the cost.  Again, it seemed ok.  However, we since we had made an appointment at Winnebago for  June 22, we decided to add the slide issue to our list to have it checked out by Winnebago.  On our way here, the slide started "thumping" as it goes in and out and appeared to be having problems again.

Winnebago checked it yesterday, June 22, and found the polyethylene guides (bushings) were broken and needed replaced.  We are at a loss as to why this problem was not detected at Lazydays or Rocky Mountain RV or Camping World back in Sept 2008. 

This is the all the information we have on the problem.  We are hoping this "fix" at Winnebago.  So far we have spent a total about 10 days at RV dealers attemping to get this problem solved.

We do plan to be at HWH Thursday and will see if the can ge any info from them.  We are not optimistic because of their prior statement regarding problems with the slideout.

carl and judy

Good luck getting winnie to fix it right, hope you have a better time than we ever did. Our slide has been making moaning sounds, but sunday when I went to put it in the driverside acted like it was hung up on something, so sounds like we maybe in the same boat as you? I sprayed some kwickway lube on the nylon blocks a couple of weeks ago since they were moaning. who knows

[email protected]

Carl and Judy Winnebago Slideout

We paid a visit to HWH a day after leaving Winnebago.  Winnebago adjusted our slideout and replaced the plastic bushing.  When we arrived at HWH we put the slideout on our list of things to be checked.  The tech at HWH checked the slide and said it seemed to be fine.  So far it seems ok. 

HWH will fix the slide if it is a hydraulic problem but not if it is a problem of positioning in the motorhome.  We're hoping the work done at Lazydays Tampa, Mountain RV in Albuquerque, and at Winnebago, in IA solves our problems.  So far it seems ok but we are still a bit paranoid at every little noise.

Happy Trails

Carl and Judy

An HWH rep recently replaced one of our leveling jacks and its spings.  He also inspected our slides.  I asked him to take a look at the nylon bushings on the drivers side slide.  He said they were OK for now and if they were to break I might have to use a jack to get the slide retracted.  He told me that if the bushings ever break to bring the coach to HWH and they would replace them at a reasonable hourly rate.

[email protected]
carl and Judy smith

we are glad to hear HWH will fix components to the slideout.  We will keep that in mind for future issues that may arise.

We appreciate the rv.forum website.

I have been to Forest City twice and each time had my slide-out adjustment on the list since it was really marking the carpet and leaving a terrible indention in the carpet when retracted.  Nothing was ever done to improve the situation and all they said was "all the trim on the outside of the slide-out aligns with the rest of the coach trim so everything is adjusted correctly".  Yeh, sure.  I told them I could care less about the outside, it was the inside I was interested in but still no improvement.

One of my nylon bushing glides on the front room slide-out is partially broken but still in place so I ordered new ones.  Talked to HWH and Winnebago both about the procedure to replace all the bushings but got conflicting information about how to do it.  The later model coaches are simple to change (one poster said he could do all of his in less than an hour) but no one can agree on how to do it on the 2004-2005 models.

Allen

our coach looks great(alignment) on the outside too, but we have  a exact line of where it sits on the carpet, and rubs the tile floor in the kitchen too... Hey maybe I can win the lottery tonight, and trade it in on a Newell ;D

We had problems with our slide being out of adjustment, first it was too high then too low. I discovered that the bushings were bad after reading about it on one of the forums. Winnie sent us to a dealer (2nd one) who also didn't know how to fix or adjust it so finally HWH called and walked a tech through the entire procedure and we have had no problems since. This was about 2 years ago.

I just installed some carpet and vinyl tile in an Adventurer with the living/dining slide. One thing I noticed, was that the middle of the slide bows up while the ends are down.

Attachments

• mike grossie friday 017.jpg
    mike grossie friday 017.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 142
  • mike grossie friday.jpg
    mike grossie friday.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 127
FWIW - Advice from the tech that worked on one of our room extensions (slideouts) at Forest City.

Periodically, at least when you wash the coach, use the garden hose with a nozzle set to heavy stream ('blast' mode) and squirt water on all four sides of each of the rams and around the area where the rams slide in. This flushes out much of the dirt and whatever that accumulates where the rams slide in and out. Seems to work. Makes squeaks and grinding noise go away. I would rather do this than spray some type of lubricant in there that the dirt, etc. can adhere to.

Our slideout mechanisms are HWH. Don't have a clue about Kwikee.

I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey 36G.. recently the bolts holding up the slide out compartments also broke.  I contacted Winnebago Ind. and they told me to contact HWH.. I did that and HWH responded very positively.  I had to get the label # off of the slide rail it begins with AP.. I did this and am waiting for a call back.  They are very good on call backs!

I also had a problem with the rear leveler jack springs, which HWH replaced and no cost.  They are a super company to do business with.

Does anyone have a problem with the corian counter tops developing cracks?  Both the kitchen sink and vanity sink tops cracked.
Winnebago told me after the one year warranty they won't cover anything. What's new?  I contacted Dupont corporation and their ten year warranty doesn't cover motorhome counter tops. They told me to contact Back to Perfection for authorized repair.
This will cost over $500. and I should pay. 
Anyone else had a problem with countertops cracking??

[email protected]
carl and Judy smith

we are glad to hear HWH will fix components to the slideout.  We will keep that in mind for future issues that may arise.

We appreciate the rv.forum website.

I was at HWH in late August to have the Right Slide on our 40AD fixed since it was not closing all the way (chain had to be repaired) as well as jacks that were very slow to retract (springs changed)  and all I can say is they are amazing to deal with and worth the drive to have any work done on the slide and leveling.  It was two hours of labor at HWH and was going to be a full day at the local RV dealer!

We had all the work done in about 3 hours and for a very good price!

It was a 10 hour drive for me but I'm sure the savings in labor of having someone that knows what they are doing was worth the cost of the fuel!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom