2008 Jayco 806 needs axle repair (under warranty) ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhearn

Hi all,

First post on this forum... Looks like a great group and I am hoping for some advice/thoughts.

We bought a 2008 Jayco 806 pup in the spring and have been out a few times. However, after a couple of our return trips, in the rain, we noticed water in one of the bench cabinets and realized that there was a hole about the size of 2 side-by-side quarters in the black wheel fender (you could see the ground). As it is under warranty, we brought it back to the dealer.

After some investigation, they told us that the axle was not installed correctly and was positioned too far to the rear. Therefore the wheel was not centered in the wheel well and we had been rubbing the fender on bumps. The fix will require that the axle be re-welded into the correct place, which is an 8 hour job. I am glad that Jayco is going to cover it under warranty, but I am still a little concerned about having the ?axle re-welded into place?. Anyone have any thoughts one whether or not this problem is common or makes sense? Should I be concerned about the dealer re-welding parts of the trailer?

We have also noticed that our tongue weight seems to be much higher than advertised (290 lbs with empty trailer with battery/LP bottle on front), so I am hoping that this is related and that pulling the axle point forward will help a little bit. Does this seem like a reasonable tongue weight for a Jayco 806 (advertised at ~1400 lbs dry)?

Appreciate any help or insight.

Thanks...
Mark

Moving the axle forward will lighten the tongue weight.  Typically the tongue weight will be about 15% of the total weight but a "dry" trailer is sometimes less and that is what is shown in the brochure specs.  As soon as you put propane in the tanks that changes because you have added weight well forward of the axle and that all goes into tongue weight.

Frankly, dry weight and dry tongue weight bear little resemblance to reality.

Back
Top Bottom