generac generator -no fuel pumping! bad fuel pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fitpays

hey guys, this is my first post ever.  i just bought a 1977 freespirit 27" class a.  it has a 454 big block in it and a generac generator that will not run.  the generator runs on starter fluid/spray, so i know it is a fuel starvation issue.  also it has clear fuel lines and no fuel is moving.  i by-passed the little shut-off valve and still nothing. i sucked on the supply line and got a mouthfull of gas, so know it has fuel!  so i am guessing the pump is weak.  it is sucking a little but not enough to pull the fuel up the line.  anyway, i am wondering if any of you have by-passed all of this stuff and ran a generic electric pump for a car?  i have a 4 psi purolator pump in my garage and i want to try to hook it up to run the genny.  we will never leave it running unattended and i thought this might be a budget fix rather than buying the factory replacement for 155 bucks.  can anyone think of why this wont work?  i think it should be fine but wanted some feedback.  thanks for any help
--dave

Dave

You didn't say how many hrs are on the gen-set....but most problems are caused by too little use & not running them under load each month. Gas gen-sets with little use on older units usually have gummed up carbs.? If it isn't gummed up too bad you may be able to fix it by spraying carb cleaner down its throat. Sometimes they are so bad they have to be replaced. Also check you rubber fuel lines for cracking as they can suck air.

Terry Brewer
On the way to John day Dam

i hooked new line up to the fuel pump and cranked it over.  it just barely sucked the fuel and would not send it up the line.  i also unplugged the outlet on the pump so it would move the fuel freely.  i think the pump is definately the culprit.  do you see any reason why i could not implement that purolator pump?

All you can do is to try it. The electric pump might overwhelm the carb's float or metering mechanism and flood the engine or it might work just fine.  If nothing else, you will find out for sure if the fuel pump is the problem.

You may be experiencing the most common cause o for genset malfunction which is varnish buildup somewhere in the fuel system to or within the Genset.  I have helped others correct the problem successfully by adding injector cleaner to the fuel tank, about twice as much as called for, and pumping the injector cleaner through the fuel line near the genset while turning the genset over then letting it set over night.  The last two times I have done this for somebody it has worked well.  I also recommend that when the rig is going to be parked for some time and the genset is not going to be run be sure to put fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank and run the genset long enough to insure the treated fuel has reached the genset.

I will second the suggestion as to fuel stabalizer when not using it,  Generators should be run often however, Some discussion a while ago as to how often, Genrac says every month on the portable (Briggs & Stratton now does GENRAC portables, I don't know about yours however)  Most commericial generators run for at least 30 minutes a month as well, under load.

My first guess from what you initally described would be a carb issue as well.. However from your second post I'm not so sure, could be the pump or both... And the cleaning procedure someone else suggested might work.

My recent problem with my generator was totally different... It also turned out not to be with the generator,, Fixed (Warranty)

i unhooked the line going to the carb to let it pump freely into a cup. the fuel pump was still so week, that it would not pump the fuel up through the line.  i dont think it is the carb. the carb may be a problem as well, but it is not the problem at hand. at present, the pump is definitely not working.  i will maybe try pulling the pump off and spraying it with carb cleaner, but i think i will need to try a new fuel pump.  i am calling pep-boys to see if they have a low pressure one that has a 1/4 inch inlet and outlet.  the extra one i have has 3/8.  let me know what you guys think????

That is rather good evedence of a pump or line problem.. Yes, a Line problem

I had a car once that was not running well... I unhooked the line and pumped into a cup as you did, there was a fine trickle of gas but evidence of a lot of air, I mean a LOT of air, (you could see the air make a depression in the puddle of gas in the cup)

I replaced the fuel lines, which were rusted and had gotten religion (they were holy, or holey)

Fixed it up slick as .... STP

Another very very very rare problem is the fuel strainer inside the tank (on the open end of the inlet tube) it could be clogged with varnish (Yet another reason to use STA-BIL or equvilent)

I've never actually seen this happen though.  Just read about it in books.

NOTE: if there are holes in the fuel line.. You are likely dripping onto the ground

Back
Top Bottom