Tiffin Allegro FRED weight issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aero RV

Hi again everyone.  I'm still searching for my first motorhome.  Just when I think I have it narrowed down, there is a bend in the road.

I am looking at a 2009 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED.  GVWR is 24,000 lbs.  GCWR is 26,000 lbs.  The UVW off the chassis sticker is 20,445 lbs.  What I am finding is there is not a lot of capacity for "stuff" once the coach is loaded and pulling a toad.  Correct me if I'm wrong:

GCWR - 26,000 lbs

Subtract

Dry weight of coach (20,445 lb)
Water (86 gal) - (714 lb)
Propane (24 gal) - (81 lb)
People (4) - (500 lb)
Toad - (~3,500 lb)

Remaining: 760lb for "stuff"???  :eek:  Doesn't sound like very much.

Are my calculations correct?  According to the specs, if this coach had a workhorse chassis I could actually haul more since the workhorse chassis itself weights much less than the FRED???

Allegro Specs:  http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdf/2009allegroSpecs.pdf

Thank you in advance.

Brian

Your arithmetic is correct. Most coaches aren't carrying 4 people, though, and that may add 2x 154 lbs to your capacity.

760 lbs is light. Enough for weekends and vacations but not much for extended use.

I didn't see the dry weight in the Allegro specs, so I'm guessing you got those off the sticker in the coach itslef? It should have been posted there and most of the arithmetic already done (CCC calculation).

Basically the low GCWR vs GVWR  trades off CCC for toad weight. If you can find a toad around 3000 lbs or less, you are in decent shape. If it weighs 3500 (don't forget the tow bar and face plates too) you are getting pretty skimpy. The FRED is betetr suited to the 32 foot model than the 35. The Ford or the Workhorse might be a better choice if you haveyour heart set on the 35 footer. Fuel economy is what you pay for that, though.

Or consider the Allegro RED (Rear Engine Diesel) instead. It's a much better package for a 35 footer.

Thanks again Gary for your help.  Yes, the dry weight was taken from the sticker inside the coach as per the dealer over the phone.  I asked him for the CCC but he didn't get that value so I just performed the calculation.

We have 3 small children so the 35QBA "bunk bed" floor plan was ideal.  You would think they would have considered there would be more than 2 people in this coach since there are bunks, and a possibility of a toad too??? 

I suppose I could save some weight by half filling the water tank and search for a lighter toad...but, still need a toad that will haul 5???  If they would have put the Allison 2100 tranny like they do the Allegro Bay FREDs, there would have been an extra 2K GVCW to play with.  No bunk house floor plain the Allegro Bay model though...darn.

I'll look at the Allegro RED's again but last I priced them, they are around 150K instead of 105K for the FRED.  May be better off with a year old Newmar Ventana 3942 pusher bunk house for around the same price???  Or, the Workhorse / Ford like you mentioned.  Just really like the idea of the FRED...more power, torque, engine brake, decent price...an overall good bang for the buck IMO.

The FRED is a great deal in a moderate sized coach, but the GVWR is not up to a 35 foot body plus the weight of the diesel engine and still give you extra for cargo and toad. You can only do so much with a entry level chassis and the 35 foot body is stretching the limit.  You see what it costs to step up in chassis capability under the same coach body (that's what the RED is), so you know the tradeoffs.    It's more money for the bigger chassis, same money but a gas chassis, or same $$ for an older used rig with more capacity. It's the old "Champagne taste but beer budget" problem.  :-\

Brian,

You might want to look at the Allegro Bay FRED.  It has a GVWR of 26,000 and a GCWR of 30,000 and the UVW is only about 500 pounds more than the Allegro FRED.  That would give you a towing capacity of 4,000 pounds and more CCC as well.  The Allegro Bay FRED costs more than the Allegro FRED but not as much as the Allegro RED.  I have also seen some 2007 and 2008 used ones with less than 10,000 miles on them for 90-100k.  Just a thought.

Dan

Brian,

Sorry. I thought there was a bunkbed model in the Allegro Bay, but after looking again, I see that there's not.  Keep looking.  You'll find something that will work.

Dan

Gary - you got it, marketing at it's best.  ;D

Dan - Thanks.  Actually considered the Bay 38TGB too since both couches pull out.  May still be in the running actually with all of this in the equation.

I might add we will be primarily using the coach for 2 week or less vacations and weekenders.  If I only fill the water tank to 35 gallons or so, that would allow me about 1,200lb of "stuff"...may work for our use...hmmmmm...tough call.

Aero RV said:
Yes, the dry weight was taken from the sticker inside the coach as per the dealer over the phone.  I asked him for the CCC but he didn't get that value so I just performed the calculation.

How convenient  he didn't tell you the CCC - I thought CCC was on all of the weight stickers now.  Check out the Winnebago gassers as well.

When we were shopping in 2007 , we looked at the Fred discovering the same weight problems among a few other issues; although they were mainly preferences.
That is why we decided on the Winnie  Adventurer with the W-24 chassis. GCVW 30000

Back
Top Bottom