"Diverging diamond" interchange near Springfield, MO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davemittan

A "new, improved" interchange.  Supposedly the only one like it in the US.  At Exit 77 on I-44 in southwest MO.  Doesn't affect people on I-44, unless they take that exit.  Then things might get interesting.

Attachments

• diverging-diamond.gif
    diverging-diamond.gif
    22.2 KB · Views: 57
Here's a guide to the many different interchange designs.  The Diverging Diamond is a new one on me, but it looks interesting.

I'm trying to figure out the benefits.  I'm guessing that there are less stoplights for most travelers.

Looks like something you might expect to see when you exit the channel tunnel between England and France (aka the Chunnel), changing from left side drive to right side drive. OTOH I've never driven the chunnel and have no idea how they accomplish it.

The Springfield TV stations say the DOT geniuses claim it helps left-turning onto entrance ramps.  Well, I've never found turning left onto an entrance ramp to be fraught with perils or problems.  Usually, there's a dedicated stoplight at those intersections.

I imagine the locals will find crossing it will be something they get accustomed to, but I'm guessing it will cause problems with visitors.  Smart move, MODOT.......

Dave, I think I'll stay home.... what a thrill it is to go county roads only and smell the cows roses.

Happy traveling..  carson FL

The biggest advantage is that there are no traffic signals directly at the bottom of any off ramp to cause traffic back up.  The minimum number of traffic signals, and the long approaches, allow for traffic sensing and signal control during light traffic periods.   I think it's a perfect example of thinking outside the box,  as they say.

When they get the wreckage cleaned up, we'll be able to evaluate it's effectiveness further ;) :D

carson said:
Dave, I think I'll stay home.... what a thrill it is to go county roads only and smell the cows roses.

Happy traveling..  carson FL

People driving straight through on I-44 probably won't even notice it.  The craziness happens on the overpass - on highway 13 - the "Kansas Expressway".

Lou (onaquest) said:
I think it's a perfect example of thinking outside the box,  as they say.

When they get the wreckage cleaned up, we'll be able to evaluate it's effectiveness further ;) :D

I call it thinking inside the asylum.  Yeah, I imagine we'll hear about some accidents on it......
The good news:  there are other, more conventional interchanges for travelers to use to get to Springfield / Branson.

If they had made it a double deck overpass and eliminated the two traffic signals, it would make perfect sense.

I think there are too many highway engineers with tooooo much time on their hands who all want to invent the newest, most perfect interchange.

Wendy
small town Colorado - 7 traffic lights and if they put in one more, I'm moving

Wendy said:
I think there are too many highway engineers with tooooo much time on their hands who all want to invent the newest, most perfect interchange.

Wendy is right ...  I worked with five of them for a few years.  ::)  Great guys, but could be very "creative" sometimes  :D

Margi

We're heading that way Thursday on our way to Alaska from north central Arkansas.  As an old highway engineer myself, am looking forward to see what all the hype was about on Springfield TV stations! 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom