Troubles with my Gen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMS1

I have a 95 Chochman with an Omna (SP) gen.

I have not used it in a couple months and went to start it tonight because I am rough camping this wek and it wont start.

I checked for spark and thats ok, it has just over half tank of fuel.

Need help FAST!!!! Please

When I took the spark plug out it was very try......

Anyway of hooking up the generator to a jerry can ( by passing the MH tank) ??

Not sure on the min of gas on board for it to able to run...... ??? ??? ???

I'm a bit confused; is the fuel for the generator supplied by the coach fuel tank or is it a portable generator, one you have to fill with a gas can?

If it is from the coach's tank, some/most will cut the fuel supply to the generator if the coach's gas level is near 1/4 tank full.  It prevents you from running the coach's fuel down and then you can't drive.  So if your fuel  tank is low, the generator will not start.

Also, if your batteries are low, the generator will not start either, so make sure your batteries are fully charged.

Marsha~

I would fuel the coach up and start the main engine to make sure the batteries are strong enough, then try to start. If it still does not start, remove the air filter and look into the carb, pump the fuel and see if fuel is shooting out of the jets. If no fuel, check the filter and the fuel pump. If fuel seems to be pumping, you need to check for spark. Good Luck.

David
2003 American Heritage

sorry I saw that you checked spark. :( Yes you can hook up to an alternate fuel supply, but it needs to be before the generators fuel pump. just unhook the fuel supply running to the fuel pump and run a line from there to another supply. Another way to check the fuel pump is to remove a line after the fuel pump, try to start it and the pump should pump out allot of fuel. If this happens, replace the fuel filter.

It is an on board unit, it's an Ohan.

It feeds of the main gas tank and it reads just over half tank.

The only thing I did since the last time I ran it was replace the Coach battery.

It turns over very fast and it has a strong spark.....

then check if fuel is reaching the carb, if not it has to be the filter, could be 2 filters, fuel pump, or fuel shut off. Keep checking for fuel between supply and the carb until you find the problem. Good luck.

I don't have much experence with generators....will it be hard to locate the filters and pump??

Other question, if I take along a portable generator and plug it into my MH, when the generator is running will it charge the choach battery?

I am not familar with your Onan, but any Onan that I have owned in the past, the filters and fuel pump are very accessible. Definitely remove the air filter and look into the carb, open the choke. Try to start the generator and look if fuel is squirting on the inside of the carb. At least this is a place to start. If no fuel, sounds like the fuel filter(s), have not been changed in awahile and should be done. Most likely it is close to the carb. Look for the fuel line leading to the Carb and there will be an inline fuse there. you can always disconnect after the filter, try to restart and see if fuel comes out of the filter, if non or very little, remove the line before the filter and try to start again. If PLENTY of fuel, the problem is the filter, if still no fuel, it is the fuel pump or the fuel shut off.

I am not a mechanic, but have gone through this same process several times as I am always tinkering. If you want you can send me an email as I get them right away and I'll do what I can. [email protected]

Good Luck!

I am not near the Mh right now but will look later....but I don know that when I look at the Gen, the air filter is at the side and impossible to look into the carb.....

OK, the gas Onan's that I have had you can look at it in this way, if not, you'll have to remove any intake tubing leading to the carb. Also if after cranking there is not a fairly strong gas smell is a good clue that you are not getting fuel, or not enough fuel.

It is not unusual for these generators to gum up their carburetor if they sit unused for awhile. Best practice is to run them every month for 20-30 minutes, under load. If the carb is gummed up, you will probably have to replace it, since Onan does not offer rebuild kits.

You say the spark plugs are dry, so it probably is not getting fuel. Check the fuel intake as Maryland David suggests.

I recall there is a black gas line coming from the bottom into the carb, I will remove that line turn it over and see from there.....

Is the fuel pump electric??

maryland-david said:
Also, if you plug in your motorhome to an ouitside source, yes it should charge the coach battery.

Be careful with these kinds of statements, especially in the early to mid '90s time frame.  Not many coaches were wired to charge the coach battery from the converter back then.  Many still aren't.

Fair enough, everything that I owned from the 90's era would charge the coach battery.

Lou (onaquest) said:
Be careful with these kinds of statements, especially in the early to mid '90s time frame.  Not many coaches were wired to charge the coach battery from the converter back then.  Many still aren't.

I recall there is a black gas line coming from the bottom into the carb, I will remove that line turn it over and see from there.....

Is the fuel pump electric?? 

EMS1 said:
Then how do they charge??

My bad!!  I was reading the word "coach" and thinking" chassis".  I'll go back to sleep now ;) :D

I meant to point out that not all chassis batteries would be charged from shore power (converter).  It was I (not you) who was confused.

Can I plead dyslexia? ;D ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom