Troubles with my Gen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe we should pass a law:  Only "engine battery" and "House battery" terms allowed. That would solve the problem. ;)

carson FL

carson said:
Maybe we should pass a law:  Only "engine battery" and "House battery" terms allowed. That would solve the problem. ;)

carson FL

Good idea Carson. Or maybe "chassis" and 'house" battery. I definitely agree we should stop using the term "coach".

Thanks guys, that would help.  When an old fossil like me gets confused it sometimes takes a pretty good rap to the forehead to clear things up  :eek: :D ;D

No starts are one of the easiest things to diagnose "Hands on" and one of the hardest "Miles away"

Was there an error code (Blink code) if so, what was it.

As for the portable generator question: IF the main generator is running, then if you plug the coach into a portable generator,, There will be no draw, (Assuming the main is working) as the main has control of the transfer switch.

Thus the portable will do nothing but make noise and eat fuel.

Now if you take a portable charger such as a Vector, Sears or Black and Decker smart charger and plug IT into the portable, it will charge whatever battery you clamp it on (See how I avoided house/engine questions)

IF your main genrator is off however (Which it is) then plugging the rig into a portable would be the same as running the main generator, If the house charger normally charges the main engine battery,,, it will, if not, it won't

Some of the things that prevent starting:

For an engine to run you need four things

Air
Fuel
Compression
Spark (Ignition source) properly timed

Now, on a gas engine, that is it, On a diesel the "Spark" is a bit complex to explain.

But a no start means that either you do not have a proper Air/Fuel mix  (Empty gas tank, Religious fuel line (Holy) Clogged filter, Bad fuel pump, Dirty carburetor)

YOu have no compression (Ring job)

or you have either no spark, or it's mis-timed

Odds favor the fuel issue
You do not h

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Good idea Carson. Or maybe "chassis" and 'house" battery. I definitely agree we should stop using the term "coach".

Since both the chassis and house batteries are in the coach, I think that is a very good idea :D

Be careful playing with gas lines on Onan generators, typically they  have a electric gas pump, you say you are not a mechanic, maybe you should get one. If you can find the carburetor you could take a good sized screw driver and tap the carb with the handle end of the tool, the idea is to free up a stuck float valve in the carb. The float valve allows gas into the carb fuel bowl, it stops fuel from entering the carb by pushing a  pencil looking valve into a matching seat, they can get stuck in place when the gas dries up and leaves a varnish coating on the valve. good luck.

I got it down to the pump....had to drop the entire unit to get to it, stupid design...

Question is, on the pump it says replace with a low pressure pump only, Can I get one at any auto part store?

Help would be great as the family is going camping tomorrow and I have a gen sitting on the ground....:(:(

low pressure indicates around 5psi and not 35 psi, NAPA and most auto parts store should be able to set you up, can be a pain switching from one model to another in a small space, with different fittings and connectors, not to be insulting but I did not read that you found a bad gas pump, so I assume you did and are not doing this because you do not know what else to do, just curious..

EMS1 said:
I got it down to the pump....had to drop the entire unit to get to it, stupid design...

Question is, on the pump it says replace with a low pressure pump only, Can I get one at any auto part store?

Help would be great as the family is going camping tomorrow and I have a gen sitting on the ground....:(:(

Ypou can get a low preasure electric pump at any auto parts store. Every Onan I have ever seen has had a Faucet style pump (little square is box that rattles when turned on) Try taping it with the handle of a screw driver a few times with it turned on. that will usually unstick the plunger and it will work again. if not an new one can be had easily.

wayne

I got a fuel pump.........3-5 pounds...is this too small??

I got it in now I have a different trouble.  There is not enough power to the gen to start it. It won't start unless the Mh is running. When I jump it with a Battery it start but I have to choke it mannully???

What the hell????

Whichever battery your genset is designed to start from, it is weak or the connection is poor. Since running the engine solves the problem, that suggests it starts from the engine battery rather than the house battery.

This is really messed up....I need to boost the solenoid on the gen for it to start not enough power, the sol just clicks....Before I did the pump it rolled over just fine whith no troubles....

|Then after it runs for a few minutes its just dies for no reason........

It also needs to be choked to run and wont start without a boost....

Crap!!!!!!

Wonder if I accidentlly touched the positive wire from the gen to a ground....what would that have done???

Now when I unplug the MH from a land source I have no power to the MH.......

Choking it redues air intake and makes a richer fuel-air mixture, so it sounds to me like you are not delivering enough fuel. Maybe that new pump isn't working right or isn't up to the job.

Maybe you blew a fuse on the main power source from the battery. Also check the battery disconnect switch(s) in the coach to see if they got knocked off when you shorted it.

The old one said replace with a low pressure, I put in the lowest I could find, I think it is 3-5 pounds. I remove the fuel line from the carb and crank it, seems like lots of fuel

After about 30 seconds after I disconnect the battery I boosted the gen with it dies....not enough power going to run the fuel pump

And without the gen running or it being plugged I have not power to the inside of the MH, not light ,fridge and such

Just replace the fuel pump on my gen, may have touch a live wire to the frame or something, anyways not I need to boost the gen to start it and when I remove the batery the pump dies.

Also when the Gen is not running or I am not plugged into the house I have not power inside, no light and such.

What may I have triggered if I touched a live wire??

I was taking the kids camping this weekend......Leaving this afternoon with no power source where I am going.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom