Outboard dual propellors, how do the work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's fun to watch the 50'ers, with dual engines, back down into their berths using nothing but the engines for steering.  The Captain will stand with his back to the console (facing aft) and play those throttles, behind his back, like a fine musical instrument.

That be what my captain does. She also has a bow thruster at her disposal though  ;D

carson,

25 June 2009 I wrote: "On the modern frigates you see completely other blades."
Here is a picture that shows the blades of a about 25 years old frigate:

Attachments

• pro_26.jpg
    pro_26.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 29
Thank you, Mike. Man, the things one can learn on this forum.

Looks like those propellers are super efficient. probably low noise as well.

Wie geht's.  carson FL

Nice 7-blade props. Make ours look like they came from a bird bath pump.

Back to twin props, the Cessna 337 (Skymaster) (push-pull) has no problem with "P" factor or torque effect on take-off or in flight, feet flat on the floor.>>>Dan ( owned one for ten years.)

Utah...
That brings back memories. This is not an attempt at thread-drift...

In 1965 I was called to an emergency technical repair situation. It was a situation to keep a Newspaper plant on the "air" in Utica, NY. I lived in Peabody, Ma. At that time a private plane was hired and off I went. It was a Cessna Skymaster, first one I had ever seen.

Great flight and.... I fixed the problem in a short time. Have only seen a couple of Skymasters since then
Thanks for listening.

carsons FL

In 1964 the Skymaster was the only aircraft ever to have been purchased by the military straight off the civilian production line with no changes for military use. Designated the O2, it was used extensivly in  Viet Nam for a forward controler and observation platform.>>>Dan

And the only twin engine aircraft that could be flown with just a single engine endorsement.

Ned, that was a mistake and only lasted a short while, many were killed doing just that and the FAA changed it to a twin requirement (centerline thrust), but it is a fine aircraft.>>>Dan.. private,multi, instrument commercial, land & sea, A/P-IA

My knowledge of the Skymaster is from 30+ years ago, so thanks for the update.  I never flew one myself.

I probably have a picture in the archives of an O2, we had a bunch of them in Bien Hoa.  Had a chance to go up with a pilot one day, but couldn't get in toudh with my boss to clear.  Stayed on the ground.  He yelled at me, don't miss it if you have a chance, just let me know later.  Never had another chance.

Bien Hoa was May to Nov 70.  Then went up to DaNang for the rest of tour.  I was in the 303rd MMS.  (ammo), mostly worked on the flight line at Munitions Control. 

We just missed.

Maybe then?  We had a great little bar upstairs at our barracks, complete with 2 barmaids.  NothingI was aware of on the flightline. We also had some great steak and beer parties paid for by the proceeds at the coffee/soda bar at the bomb dump.  Some old tech sgt was amazing at trading. One party we had all the beer you could drink, steak, a cornish game hen, hamburgers hot dogs, a band and some intereting entertainemnt.  Ironically, we are going thru pictures to keep or toss and that party was among the group.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom