Pet peeve Phrases (Got any?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

Any one have particular words or phrases that just make their skin crawl when they see them in a blog/post or hear them in a casual conversation?  I sure do!

My most hated list:

Politically Correct...  ...says who ??? 
24/7...  ...not sure why :-\
Prolly...  used for probably.  just plain laziness. disgusting ::)

I have others, but I'm more interested in reading yours. ;D 

Some of these appear on TV more frequently than forums, but they still get me grinding my teeth:

Awesome
Definitely
Absolutely
Huge
Totally
Price point
Like, you know
OMG!
Man Room (or Man Cave)
Issues
Event
Problematic
Scenario

And on and on and on.......

(You can tell I watch a lot on HGTV)

Lou,  Yes I do - I am  p r o b a b l y  guilty of irritating you on occasion and am definitly NOT PC.  My language(written/spoken) varies with my mood of the day - topic - audience.

Now on to your question.  In casual conversation.  It is when someone does not want to take the time/effort to use the correct name for something and substitutes some 'cutsey'  word.  :mad: :mad: Have an acquaintance that uses the term "jobber-do" for everything/anything  - "...the jobber-do on the end of the hose that waters the lawn..."  OR  "... I have to get a jobber-do for the front of my car...".  Makes my stomach do flip-flops.  Never know what he is talking about. ??? ???

OMG!, Dave, you are definitely like, you know, so totally in tune with today's buzz words. It's Absolutely awesome!!  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Maddog348, I know what you mean.  I have a good friend who refers to my motor home (and most anything else) as the Do-lolly ??? ???

Lou (onaquest) said:
OMG!, Dave, you are definitely like, you know, so totally in tune with today's buzz words. It's Absolutely awesome!!  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey Dude (another one) -

You know, we really ought to be fair - our generation had our own overworked and abused phrases:
Bummer
Far out
Cool
Bad trip
Neat
etc.

It seems that every generation has to put their own unique stamp on the English language - what's left of it.......

"Frickin".....spoken by kids, adults, and can be heard numerous times on good 'ol prime time TV at any time of day or night.....and we all know which four letter word this one replaces  :-[

and "Ya Know"....currently Danica Patrick is the reigning champ with this one....not knocking her driving skills, BTW ;D

At work:
Where the rubber meets the road

Big Picture  (You  don't understand because you can't see the Big Picture.)

Uh, Uh,    How many times can you say it in one sentence?

Doh  (Simpson copy)

Jim

Lou, you were close.  24x7x365 is really stupid, doubly so.  Think about it.

Ned said:
Lou, you were close.  24x7x365 is really stupid, doubly so.  Think about it.

Are you saying that there aren't 365 weeks in a year?  There has to be! I've got the T-Shirt to prove it... ;)

Dick and Pat said:
"Frickin".....spoken by kids, adults, and can be heard numerous times on good 'ol prime time TV at any time of day or night.....and we all know which four letter word this one replaces  :-[

I agree. it's not the slang that I find offensive, it's the vulgarity, arrogance and ignorance that get to me.

Here is my contribution: Probably treading in dangerous waters...

Political speak;

Investment by Government = Your tax dollars.
  Carbon = poison (all living things contain carbon)
  Carbon dioxide = something the trees need to grow. They give us oxygen in order for us to     breathe.
  Green energy = Biofuel.. uses up and depletes arable land, which can produce food. Corn?
                                    Solar, how do you run ships, trucks, locomotives, planes, wars etc on
                                 solar?
                                    Windmills,  see solar. Electricity only powers production, not transportation. Even hybrid engines end up short on the energy saving equation, considering how much production power it takes to produce them..batteries etc.

How about the "clunker rebate" how much power does it take to to recycle an old clunker?

I could go on and on, I guess I am not enlightened yet. Sure would like someone to enlighten me.

Please don't reply unless you know what  makes sense. Did you notice yesterdays vote in the House?

Guess I better quit here.

carson FL

I'm with all of you on "like" and "you know" which seem to come out of the mouths of actors and athletes a lot.

I also dislike "hockey mom, "maverik" and "verbage."

As for "vulgarity," that's something that varies widely depending on the person. I have an aunt who is cursing massively if she says "darn."

Wendy

I have an aunt who is cursing massively if she says "darn."  Wendy

Wendy, you gave me a chuckle.  I've always had somewhat of a "potty mouth", but in my mothers house "gosh darn" was equivalent to "God D---" and was not tolerated. :eek: :mad: 

Lou (onaquest) said:
in my mothers house "gosh darn" was equivalent to "God D---" and was not tolerated. :eek: :mad: 

Same in our house. Every once in awhile Mom would say "damn" and we knew we were in deep, deep kimchi.

Wendy

davemittan said:
Some of these appear on TV more frequently than forums, but they still get me grinding my teeth:

Awesome
Definitely
Absolutely
Huge
Totally
Price point
Like, you know
OMG!
Man Room (or Man Cave)
Issues
Event
Problematic
Scenario

And on and on and on.......

(You can tell I watch a lot on HGTV)

Yyou should not ever attempt to talk to a teenager.

I don't have any phrases I hate. I don't hate anything. Hate is such a waste of time and emotions. I prefer love.

the one phrase that makes my stomach crawl........
"are we havin fun yet?"
and then of course "ya know" is really irritating
other than that, I'm pretty mellow

Back
Top Bottom