Pet peeve Phrases (Got any?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about "DUCK" tape (not brand) for duct tape. Just saw on another site. Even talking about Gorilla duck - that is something I don't think I want to see.

Carl L said:
besides no one loves an editor.

You got that right!!!  However, nearly everybody that reads your work often acts like an editor; springing into action to poke holes in your questionable grammar and even more obvious speling (or lack thereof) skills.

Steve

maddog348 said:
How about "DUCK" tape (not brand) for duct tape. Just saw on another site. Even talking about Gorilla duck - that is something I don't think I want to see.

Ironically, you can't use 3M Duct Tape on heating ducks, sorry ducts.

Mc2guy said:
I have two pet peeves, first is the word "height" when pronounced "heighth."  There is no "th" sound at the end of that word, just a nice, sharp, crisp "t."  Boy, that chaps my ____.

Different dialects in different parts of the country pronounce words differently. There is really no absolutely correct way to pronounce any word. Are Bostonians pronouncing car, yard and Harvard incorrectly? Is a southerner pronouncing anything correctly? I pronounce album as alblum since I am from the midwest and I pronounce height as heighth. I am not changing the way I speak just because you have a low tolerance for other dialects.

All of this begs for yet, another response. I agree with most of the above. But people, please do not forget, language is like a living organism; whether we like it or not, it is forever changing. Surely, we do not speak the same English as it was spoken only two centuries ago. In fact all languages change over time. Maybe it is just too difficult for us to keep up as we age.

Mariekie

mariekie said:
All of this begs for yet, another response. I agree with most of the above. But people, please do not forget, language is like a living organism; whether we like it or not, it is forever changing. Surely, we do not speak the same English as it was spoken only two centuries ago. In fact all languages change over time. Maybe it is just too difficult for us to keep up as we age.

Mariekie

I believe in progression/evolution of a language over time, it is the deterioration I have a problem with.

seilerbird said:
There is really no absolutely correct way to pronounce any word.

I think most English dictionaries in print would disagree, since all have phonics-based pronunciations clearly stated.  Just because certain regions choose not to follow those guidelines doesn't make them correct.

mariekie said:
Surely, we do not speak the same English as it was spoken only two centuries ago.

Two centuries, sure.  But most of what this thread refers to is slang (or mispronunciations) aged closer to two decades or less.

seilerbird said:
Different dialects in different parts of the country pronounce words differently. There is really no absolutely correct way to pronounce any word. Are Bostonians pronouncing car, yard and Harvard incorrectly? Is a southerner pronouncing anything correctly? I pronounce album as alblum since I am from the midwest and I pronounce height as heighth. I am not changing the way I speak just because you have a low tolerance for other dialects.

Um, no.  I have no problem with regional enunciation.  I travel up and down this country and enjoy the regional dialects.  Mispronouncing a word doesn't get a pass just because of regional slang, however.  When a Bostonian says "cah" that is just the way they enunciate their "r."   They aren't adding a letter or syllable that doesn't exist to the word!

Lastly, I never asked you to change the way you speak.  

Have an aquaintence who frequently uses the wrong  word and blames any misunderstanding on her Michigan accent.  And she is teaching your children/grandchildren.

mariekie said:

Ach yes, I remember the poems of my youth.  Like we used to sing over a few beers:

Hw?t! We Gardena in geardagum,
?eodcyninga, ?rym gefrunon,
hu ?a ??elingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing  scea?ena ?reatum,
monegum m?g?um,  meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.   Sy??an ?rest wear?
feasceaft funden, he ??s frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weor?myndum ?ah,
o???t him ?ghwylc ?ara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade  hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.  ??t w?s god cyning!
??m eafera w?s ?fter cenned,
geong in geardum, ?one god sende
folce to frofre;  fyren?earfe ongeat
?e hie ?r drugon aldorlease
lange hwile.   Him ??s liffrea,
wuldres wealdend,  woroldare forgeaf;
Beowulf w?s breme  (bl?d wide sprang),
Scyldes eafera Scedelandum in.

Good times, good times.

Carl, we sang the more modern English version ;)

LO, praise of the prowess of people-kings
of spear-armed Danes, in days long sped,
we have heard, and what honor the athelings won!
Oft Scyld the Scefing from squadroned foes,
from many a tribe, the mead-bench tore,
awing the earls. Since erst he lay
friendless, a foundling, fate repaid him:
for he waxed under welkin, in wealth he throve,
till before him the folk, both far and near,
who house by the whale-path, heard his mandate,
gave him gifts: a good king he!
To him an heir was afterward born,
a son in his halls, whom heaven sent
to favor the folk, feeling their woe
that erst they had lacked an earl for leader
so long a while; the Lord endowed him,
the Wielder of Wonder, with world?s renown.
Famed was this Beowulf: far flew the boast of him,
son of Scyld, in the Scandian lands.

So your pet peeve is old English poetry, or just Beowulf?

Back
Top Bottom