Pet peeve Phrases (Got any?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of my pet peeves is when someone writes in asking the forum a question or for advice and then never hear from them again. No "thanks a lot" or "here is what I did to fix it". Its like reading a good book and at the end realize that someone riped out the last page.      Chip

Or when someone asks for advice, then tell you your wrong cause uncle bill said so and so.  What the x;/#%*)@"? are asking me for.>>>D

Got reminded of a couple while standing in line at a department store today.  When I heard "I'm all like you can't do that" my ears screamed.  This was followed by "And she went 'well (name deleted) said we could' and I went 'well we are not' and she got mad." 

Was this from a teenager or twenty-something?  NO....the lady in front of me looked about my age (late 50's)!  UGH!!! :mad:

Just saw another on this forum...

"alot" for "a lot"...

I went to school in a rural southern Illinois school system of one-room school houses.  One teacher for grades 1 through 8.  Each grade got less than one hour of the teachers time during the school day.  I still managed to learn more about English grammar, reading with understanding and "ciphering" arithmetic than the average college freshman today.  What in the deuce is wrong with our education system today?

What is wrong? Dumbing down, that's what's wrong!

It's now the "American (un)Way!

I predict that if we live long enough, we'll never see a day when this particular subject does not upset us. So much for things learned when we were young that were important then, not so much now.

aka Porky said:
What in the deuce is wrong with our education system today?

The list of answers/opinions to address this question is soooooo loooooong it would take forever to answer, but it doesn't start with more $$, IMHO.  Especially if we limit topic drift...LOL :'(

taoshum said:
The list of answers/opinions to address this question is soooooo loooooong it would take forever to answer, but it doesn't start with more $$, IMHO.  Especially if we limit topic drift...LOL :'(

:) The question was purely rhetorical, but you are correct, we have proven time and time again that money is not always the answer to better education..

aka Porky said:
:) The question was purely rhetorical, but you are correct, we have proven time and time again that money is not always the answer to better education..
Not according to teachers unions.

aka Porky said:
visch1 said:
Not according to teachers unions.
Money does provide for a better education.  The problem is the poor choices in how the money is spent.  A new high school does not need wall-to-wall carpeting or a "weight room" or a swimming pool or a million dollar sports field, etc., etc., etc.  Don't get me wrong, I am not against sports.  It certainly has its place in a child's education.  However, many expensive sports programs have sucked up a lot of the money needed for teachers, textbooks and supplies.  There needs to be a better balance, keeping in mind the whole idea is to educate the kids.  All of them will need an education.  Only a tiny percentage will gain anything more than entertainment from a big sports program.

One might slam the teachers unions and possibly be right in doing so.  The tenure system can certainly create problems and I believe teachers should be held to account - but paid for their efforts.  However, for the most part, the perceived need for a teachers union stems directly from the matter in my 1st paragraph.  You want better teachers?  Pay for it.

You want better teachers?  Pay for it.

maybe we don't need and certainly cannot afford better teachers... maybe what we need is better students.  Some students are so good they don't even need teachers...

The kids aren't interested in school.  They are busy with extracurricular activities, I pads, cell phones, playing on computers, playing, playing, and many experimenting with drugs.

Another big issue is lack of discipline at home and at school.  I whacked our kids butts, both of them, the challenged one and the normal one.  They understood discipline.

We have sports complexes here near the Woodlands that are something else.  To me golf, swimming, tennis, and band should just be something to enjoy not like you are going to become professional athletes.

But you have to have willing students before you can teach them.  They can spend and spend and it won't help.  I too went to a school for 2 years when we moved back to a small town with a pot bellied stove and outdoor toilets, no nothing else yet I managed to learn.  Amazing wasn't it. Our teacher had 40 kids in her class, no aids, no help at all, she even fed the coal stove at times.

I don't disagree at all with the students being disinterested.  We certainly do need better students.  But, it is "our" shortcoming, not theirs.  I, too, went to a one-room school with outdoor plumbing and I, too, learned.  As for money...there's a few more kids out and about these days.  Walking to school is not acceptable in many areas so transportation costs sky rocket.  We have consolidated everything to the point that we insure busing is a requirement.  Then we pack 30 kids or more in a class and demand the teacher give our little "Precious" some special attention.  We insist the kids be disciplined and then raise holy heck when they are.  We insist our little angel can have his/her cell phone so we can keep in constant touch.  They must have the best athletic shoes and latest fad clothes.  Yet, we say "we don't need and certainly cannot afford better teachers".  It ain't the students!

The curriculum they are required to follow now may be an issue too.  I had a challenged daughter in school but I certainly didn't think she needed mainstreamed.  I thought that took away from the other kids.  I saw nothing wrong with them having their own classroom.  She didn't get it and left her feeling humiliated and the teachers just don't have time to deal with someone with learning issues.  I think that is causing problems and its costing a ton of money we don't have.  And I know some parents like me expected the sun and moon for these kids.  We need to have some common sense when it comes to these students.  I wanted her taught to the best of her ability to learn but not at the expense of many others. 

There are so many mandates hanging over their heads I think it would be really difficult to try and be a good teacher anymore, so I don't totally blame them, there are lots of issues. 

My approach was "tough love" which seemed to work well.  I have 4 reasonably well adjusted and successful boys men.  The problem with so many kids is parents give their kids one or the other - "love" or "tough" - not both or they give their kids nothing at all.

As for how and what is taught...generally speaking, the curriculum teachers are required to follow is established by local school boards and their interpretation of State and Federal regulations regarding education.  Many of the school board members I've met need to be on the receiving end of it instead of where they are.  Of course, I'm speaking about what I am familiar with - rural school districts.  The inner-city schools have their own problems with ethnicity matters, poverty, etc.  Hmmm.  Back to coughing up the cash.

Back
Top Bottom