Pet peeve Phrases (Got any?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou (onaquest) said:
Any one have particular words or phrases that just make their skin crawl when they see them in a blog/post or hear them in a casual conversation?  I sure do!
;D   

Words that mean nothing until they are defined each and every time.

For a few examples, words such as:

1. best

2.  freedom

3.  Love

As Taoists say, "excessive is equal to insufficient."

And each of the above words (as well as many others) have excessive definitions which makes the definitions  insufficient.

-Don- SSF, CA​

seilerbird said:
I don't hate anything. Hate is such a waste of time and emotions. I prefer love.

But . . .

"It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not."
--Andr? Gide

-Don-​

DonTom said:
As Taoists say, "excessive is equal to insufficient."
And each of the above words (as well as many others) have excessive definitions which makes the definitions  insufficient.

I think I may have to add "phrases purposely designed to make me feel stupid" to my list ;) :D :D

Lou (onaquest) said:
I think I may have to add "phrases purposely designed to make me feel stupid" to my list ;) :D :D

But we all should feel stupid because:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity--and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstein

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
-Albert Einstein

"It is impossible to underrate human intelligence--beginning with one's own."
--Henry Brooks Adams

-Don-​

Some great answers so far, but to steer the thread where I had hoped it would go, I offer the following:

Things that sound like "fingernails on a chalk board" to me are;

Spoken word(s):

Supposably - for supposedly
Acrost - for across

Written word(s):

Are - for our
your - for you're
silicon - for silicone

There are many more.  My brain just isn't working this morning.

Lou, are you sure you want to open this can of worms? :D

nucular for nuclear - even news announcers do this

relator for realtor

56kz2slow said:
Carbon dioxide is an important gas.  Without it, my beer would be flat.

Marc, "you da man!"  ...ouch, that actually hurt.  (using one of my own immensely disliked phrases... :D

Tom (seilerbird) doesn't like "hated", so I came up with immense dislike.  waddaya think ???

Ned said:
Lou, are you sure you want to open this can of worms? :D

I know, Ned.  Sounds more typical of a Carson post, but my Florida bud has been kinda quiet lately. :D

Irregardless - no such word.
People who would never say the F word but feel comfortable with Fricken???????
ax - ask

George, You hit one of my biggest disliked verbal words - Ax and axed for ask and asked

Lou, Don't forget on your misused in writing list - its and it's used incorrectly (it's is it is, its is possessive)

And my all-time written grammar irritation - commas and periods always go inside quotation marks (I'm talking double quotation marks and American vs. British English)

Wendy

DonTom said:
But we all should feel stupid because:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity--and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstein

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
-Albert Einstein

"It is impossible to underrate human intelligence--beginning with one's own."
--Henry Brooks Adams

Bummer  :)

Wendy said:
And my all-time written grammar irritation - commas and periods always go inside quotation marks (I'm talking double quotation marks and American vs. British English)

Wendy, I'm afraid that I may be the worlds worst when it comes to the use of commas.  I just throw one in a sentence where ever I have to pause and take a breath.

BTW - I have a large box of commas on my desk so I won't run out soon.

A less noticeable misuse is:

Maybe - for may be, (or vice versa verse) or(verse vica) or (visa versa) or conversely ???  t'other way 'round!

KodiakRV said:
"Inadvertant error" -- Most errors could have been avoided, in my experience.

So, who would make an intentional error? Other than a politician?  ;D

jrshall said:
So, who would make an intentional error? Other than a politician?  ;D

Politicians don't make errors, they "misspeak" - and probably would misspell misspeak.

Wendy

Wendy said:
Politicians don't make errors, they "misspeak" - and probably would misspell misspeak.Wendy

..and the arrogant sob's will also look you in the eye and tell you that they don't owe anyone an apology....

I smell dangerous thread drift  coming on.

Politicians have a purpose.  If we didn't have politicians, we wouldn't have politics, and if we didn't have politics then we would have one less topic that we're not supposed to discuss here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom