Pet peeve Phrases (Got any?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know how I could have forgotten this one - the TV just reminded me of it:  "That's what I'm talkin' about"
Oh, shut up.

scottydl said:
... And the ever popular "for all intensive purposes" which falls into the same want-to-sound-smart category as "irregardless" ... the phrase is "FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES"...

That's the one I was gonna write!  :p

Okay, the one that drives me up a wall is "Me and him/her/name are going.." when it should be "He/she/name and I are going.." That one is like chalk screeching on a board to me.  Most of the young people in our family misuse this phrase.  When they were little we tried to correct them, but it didn't help.  I've even heard TV commentators misuse it.  We learned English in school and how to construct a sentence.  I'm not sure what they're learning today but it is not good English grammar.

ArdraF

scottydl said:
- "VIN number" ... the N in VIN already stands for number!  So "VIN number" is like saying "Vehicle Identification Number number".  ::)

So, for Linux/Unix fans, you would not like GNU, because it stands for "GNU's Not Unix".  It's a recursive acronym. As a computer geek, I understand what you mean.  It's like NIC, which stands for Network Interface Card, but I hear NIC card/

Slap!!!

Sorry, I had to take a break from typing to kill a mosquito.

Since English is my 2nd language, I learned from the books, not the street.  One of my biggest peeve is the plural of you, which is you, but I often hear youz, yuz, yous or yus.

ArdraF said:
Okay, the one that drives me up a wall is "Me and him/her/name are going.." when it should be "He/she/name and I are going.." That one is like chalk screeching on a board to me.  Most of the young people in our family misuse this phrase.  When they were little we tried to correct them, but it didn't help.  I've even heard TV commentators misuse it.  We learned English in school and how to construct a sentence.  I'm not sure what they're learning today but it is not good English grammar.

ArdraF

Ardra,

It was the "baby boomers" and now it's the ME generation. My grandkids drive me up the wall. All their sentences start with "me and ....."

Well, this is a sorta (oops!) local one, but anyone from the San Antonio area will know what I mean immediately:

New BraunSfels instead of New Braunfels.  I don't know where that extra S comes from, but it just irks the daylights out of me.

How about go or goes instead of say or said?  Example:  I go "How are you today?"  And he goes "Fine." 

That one drives me nuts!

Margi

What state of activity are you in if you are fixin to get started?

geodrake said:
And, wouldn't those who are not from Arkansas use a teeth brush rather than a tooth brush?

I'll have you know that I have a full set of teeth.  Wanna see?

Attachments

• Dentures.jpg
    Dentures.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 7
Dave, must be something in that Illinois water.  That's where I lost most of mine.

BTW - George wouldn't be makin' jokes if he knew how hard these store bought teeth could bite. :D :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom