blue ox towbar question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2KViggen

We just had the dealership that we purchased our RV from install a blue ox towbar on a 08 wrangler unlimited.  There are cables attatched to the mounting system any ideas what those cables are for?  It's on the end of the mount & is wrapped around the frame, I figure it's for safety or something like that?

The dealership that installed it we think installed it wrong due to feeling something hitting the gas pedal & steering column (took jeep in for service at jeep dealership & they determined what the cause was).  Do we need the cables on the mount or should we try to get the dealership to fix it somehow ...... not really sure what they would be willing to do though.  So far we are becoming less pleased by the day with the dealership  :mad:

I installed my own Blue Ox base plate on my 08 Honda CRV.  There was a cable on each side that is attached to the Honda, wraps around the base plate, and again attached to the Honda.  This is a safety item in case the base plate comes off the car.

My Blue Ox base plate for the '97 Honda Accord has no such cable(s).

I figured it was for something like that..... the question is, is that cable necessary?  How long ago was the blue ox installed on the 97 accord?

I figure I will need to have a little chat with the RV dealership about it.....

The base plate with the cables installed on the 08 Honda CRV was purchased and installed in June of 08.  I also installed a Blue Ox base plate on a 2000 Saturn in 2000 and it did not have the cables.  I think the cables are something new, but why not just call Blue Ox and ask them.  800-228-9289

Rex

I have seen cars with cables that went from the frame to the hitch, usually near or at the point where the safety cables to the tow vehicle attach.  IN the owner's manual for every tow system I've looked at it says to attach the safety cables to the frame of the vehicle, NOT to the hitch assembly (Which includes the base plate)  I wish they had done that on my vehicle as.. Well, the only reason the base plate did NOT seperate from the car and make one mell of a hess is that I inspected the bolts and re-tightened them  (Which by the way the owner's manual tells you (And I) to do).

So that is what they are for.,, Part of the safety system

If they are hitting something they should not (And how they can possibly hit the accelerator I do not understand) you can ZIP-Tie  them out of the way, in normal operation there should NEVER be any tension on those cables,and if the base plate comes off the car a standard cable tie or "Zip Tie" won't hold under that kind of strain so it won't be an issue.  but the presence of the cables can make the difference between a couple of thousand in damage (What I had when the hitch came apart, though not at that point) and a total washout with possible death in a car coming the other way.  (My safety cables......HELD)

It is called a baseplate safety cable and is used on some vehicles to provide a failsafe if the base plates break away. The dealer who installed it should have given you  the instruction package thatcame with the base plates and tow bar, but you can download it from the Blue Ox site. Here is the link for an 08 Wrangler:

http://www.aemfg.com/pdfs/BX1126.pdf

Step #11 on page 5 shows the installation of the base plate safety cables, including pictures. These are separate from the safety cables that come with the tow bar. If the installer did not put them on, take it back and insist they do it per the instructions from Blue Ox.

thanks again everyone for the help/info!!  I am taking the jeep down to the dealership tomorrow to adress the issues with the cables (they were even hitting the tires when making tight turns!!) & also how to get power to the brake buddy while having the battery disconnected...... & a lit of other issues with the rv. 

Going to be a long day :(

just got back from picking up the RV.... the clanging is gone & the tech apologized (I told him what it was doing) for not putting zip ties or something else on those break-away cables to keep them from causing the vibrations.  He ran a new power line which comes from the RV's power & ends under the dash so we can plug the brake buddy in there & use the RV's power.  I also read the link a few posts up about how to install the kit & noticed he didn't spray paint on the frame area that was cut so I had him correct that.

The reason for disconnecting the negative terminal is that's what the jeep manual states to do when towing the vehicle.  Put trans & transfer case in neutral (jeep is a manual), put ignition in ac/on & dosconnect battery.  Disconecting battery keeps the miles off the jeep

Are you sure the Jeep accumulates miles with the battery connected? Most Jeeps do not. Normally the battery disconnect is just to keep the battery from going dead. 

One does NOT disconnect the battery!! Have the power cord, from the coach to the toad, tied into the coaches battery directly to the toads battery. No problems. we've had this solution on the last two rigs we've owned. Class c w/Honda CRV and now  Pusher w/Honda Pilot. Never have to worry about dead battery or resetting everything in car.

RV Roamer said:
Are you sure the Jeep accumulates miles with the battery connected? Most Jeeps do not. Normally the battery disconnect is just to keep the battery from going dead. 

I am sure.... the manual states to do so & yes we know from experience that keeping the battery connected & towing the jeep behind the RV does add miles to the car.  We added 47 miles to the jeep w/o the jeep using a drop of gas. 

I think it's pretty stupid that Jeep would do such a thing to these vehicles ...... the tech at the RV dealership was shocked when we told him what the jeep manual states.  After they made the necessary adjustments to the wiring the brake buddy now gets power from the RV & on our drive back from the RV dealership no miles were added :) 

I researched this a bit and found that Chrysler/Jeep recently changed the ignition switch so that the odometer is now active in the ACC position that is needed to tow with the steering wheel unlocked on the Wrangler. Some other Jeep models don't have a steering lock, but the Wrangler does.

How would the Brake Buddy reliably apply brakes to the toad, in a breakaway situation, if power is provided/required from the MH that just broke away?

RV Roamer said:
It wouldn't. That's why it is better to rig a 12v power outlet direct to the battery for the BB.

My point exactly, but the OP says he ran power from the MH to operate the Brake Buddy.

I would do the following;

Disconnect the battery from the toad circuits. (if indeed, the manual says to)
Wire a 12v power outlet for the BB directly to the battery.
Wire a toad charge circuit from the MH to the Toad battery. (maybe)

thanks for the ideas everyone!!!!  It's been so hectic here (girlfriend +3 kids moving in to my house which is completely gutted, redoing that while getting ready for a trip) I haven't been able to think about all aspects of towing the jeep.  I never even thought about the BB loosing power if it would break away.  I will definantly look into doing what I need to do to get it to work from the jeep's battery.  Not sure I would want to be driving down a road out west & get passed by the jeep I am towing.......

thanks again :)

Lou (onaquest) said:
How would the Brake Buddy reliably apply brakes to the toad, in a breakaway situation, if power is provided/required from the MH that just broke away?

The Brake Buddy only needs power to run the compressor. Once the pressure is up, no power is needed. If the break away switch is pulled the brakes will still be applied.

Back
Top Bottom