A mickey "MOUSE" observation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Just recently I had to replace my optical mouse on the computer (defective micro-switch on left button)

The old one was USB cable connected and all was well. The new one I chose was optical/wireless. Neat stuff.

However, I soon found out a couple of things. The USB receiver plugged in about 36" (3') away on my tower and it turned out that that distance caused intermittent operation. The next step was to use an USB extension cable to place the receiver about 12" away.  Worked great.

Soon I noticed that the screen saver and monitor shutdown functions would not work any more.

Removal of the receiver would restore those functions. Guess there is some constant activity going on that keeps the screen alive. I even tried to place the live mouse far away... still wouldn't work.

My only answer now is to shut the monitor power off in off hours; it gets quite hot running full bore all night.

MY system: Dell Optiplex 330, XP Home, 19" flat monitor. Guess I can live with that...maybe save a bit of energy at the same time.  Am I missing something or is that the answer.

carson FL (freezing here 78? and thunderstorms.)

Open the Device Manager and then the properties of the mouse.  On the Power Management tab, uncheck the option to allow the device to wake the computer.  See if that helps.  What model mouse and is it Bluetooth or proprietary radio?

Hi Ned... I did as told.. Ctl Panel..Device Mgr..Properties..Power Mgmnt. I unchecked the option...

Did a few cycles of test... no dice. The screen saver would not come on. I had it set for 10 minutes and screen for 20 minutes.  Nothing happened. Same as before.

I suppose that command will allow you a choice between "mouse movement" or strike "any key" option to restore operation.  Seems to me the Mouse Receiver is communicating somehow continuously with the CPU and keeping the system alive. Oh well, any other ideas?

The mouse info: MS Mobile Mouse 3000,  Model 1359,  Made in China.

Thanks for your help, will use my method unless I hear more info from you or others.

carson

See this article and this one for some possibilities.  A Google search on Microsoft Mobile Mouse 3000 screensaver XP turned up some other relevant articles.

MY screensaver(HP-Vista) does not see to mind my "logitech" laser wireless mouse. Sure glad 'cause I wouldn't attempt to think I knew how to fix it.

Thanks again, Ned

I read your link as well as a number of google threads. I finally decided to take  a hint to download a program from MS, supposedly a fix.. Turned out that I already had that download in my system.

Seems like no one has the real answer. Sure has been discussed on the web though.. Guess I'll just use my Plan B, shutting off the monitor, until something better comes along. The mouse was only $30.00.... and it works great, except for .....?

I did download the MS update program.. it said it was already installed on my system. Go figure.

carson FL

I have never seen how a wireless mouse would have any advantage over a wired mouse. Most people don't use their mouse more than a foot or two away from your screen. My advise would be to return the mouse and get a refund then buy a wired mouse. A wired mouse is much cheaper (1/10th the cost), much more reliable, and doesn't need batteries. Plus your screen saver and monitor shut down would work. Think of how much you will save on Rolaids.

Carson, did you read the article on the PCMService?  That would seem to be the culprit.  Another article specifically mentioned that service and Dell in the same sentence.

seilerbird said:
.....Most people don't use their mouse more than a foot or two away from your screen.

Tom

The wired mouse connects to the tower, not the screen, so distance can be more problematic for many people. I always had a problem with weight drag of the cord affecting the ease of use of the mouse. Give me a cordless any time.

A wired mouse is much cheaper (1/10th the cost), much more reliable, and doesn't need batteries.

My Logitech cordless V220 mouse normally sells for $29.95, I've seen it on sale for $20. I haven't seen a $2-$3 mouse in a long time. We like ours so much we have 2, one on each of our computers. Very reliable and the batteries last a long time.

seilerbird said:
I have never seen how a wireless mouse would have any advantage over a wired mouse. Most people don't use their mouse more than a foot or two away from your screen. My advise would be to return the mouse and get a refund then buy a wired mouse. A wired mouse is much cheaper (1/10th the cost), much more reliable, and doesn't need batteries. Plus your screen saver and monitor shut down would work. Think of how much you will save on Rolaids.

If I had to go back to a wired mouse I think I would give up computing. Especially on the laptop. The less wires I have to hook up the better.

Regarding my OP.

Good news, I downloaded the latest M/S update for the 3000 Mouse. Took some doing but it worked. At first it seemed to go nowhere but in the end it must have sneaked through.

Now all is back to normal.. Screen saver comes on at the right time and screen goes black at the right time.. Thanks, Ned , for the alternate tips. Always remember , Google is your best friend if you can find it.

I wonder how long the AA cell will last. They say up to 6 months. I'll let you know, if I remember.

carson FL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom