Transporting fire wood into Newyork State

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMS1

We are packing up next week and heading to Darien lake for a few days and was going to take some firewood in a small trailer.

Is this allowed?

Lots of parks either prohibit bringing in firewood or bringing it in from a distance greater than 50 miles.  The reason is that by bringing it in you may also be bringing in harmful insects such as the emerald ash borer. 

From your posting it is not clear what border you may be crossing, but I would guess you are talking about the U.S. - Canadian border.  At any rate, I have no first hand knowledge but would guess that it will not be allowed.  A few telephone calls might be in order.  Please let us know what you learn.

The last time I was in Canada was two years ago and at that time you were not allowed to take any firewood in because of the Emerald Ash Borer. I would assume it is still the same but not sure.

Woody

Would anyone know what number I would call about this?

I am crossing from Ontario into Newyork. Niagra Falls

There is a law that prohibits the import of firewood into New York unless it has been kiln-dried. The regulation also limits the transportation of untreated firewood to less than 50 miles from it's source. I would just buy firewood locally.

Ya, I was just trying to save some money, I know I can buy it off the side of the road but they want like 8 bucks and you get 6-7 sticks...... ::) ::)

That rule is in effect all over the west because of the pine beetle infestation. They do not want wood carried anywhere!

One of the considerations you should think about when thinking about transporting wood across state lines, or even across a single state is just how much money you will thus save

I mean, you can get quite a bit of wood, for the cost of a gallon of fuel.. and every pound of wood you cart, will add to your fuel consumption.

So.... Do you save money by hauling wood... Or do you save it by buying locally. 

This is actually a calculus problem, And since I don't have all the pramaters I can not solve it for you.. I can however tell you the answer is millage dependent.

For example you might get "You save money hauling wood if it's less than 200 miles, but save money buying there if it's more than 200 miles"  NOTE: 200 miles is not likely the proper number

John From Detroit said:
I mean, you can get quite a bit of wood, for the cost of a gallon of fuel.. and every pound of wood you cart, will add to your fuel consumption.

The effect of weight on gas mileage is virtually nothing. Towing a vehicle subtractuts about a half a mile per gallon. The weight of wood would not affect gas mileage at all unless you were hauling a gigantic trailer full. You are not picking the weight up, you are dragging it on axels with wheel bearings.

One of the more amazing thigns MPG wise, on my gasser is what happens when I hook over 4,000 pounds of Lumina to the hitch.

Absolutly NO change

Now, that may sound amazing, but in fact there is a very good reason for it

Turns out the presence of the Lumina back there "Spoils" the air flow over the back of the Motor home, and the effect of that is equal, and oposite to the effect of the weight.. Plus that lumina rolls right easily

To get back on subject.

It is just NOT a good idea anymore to transport fire wood.

IF you do it, make sure YOU burn every scrap of wood you bring in.

I used to take a bath in the lake when canoeing.  Not any more.  I carry a bag shower.

I also used to take fire wood.  Still temped some times but I don't do that anymore either.  I know many people still do but that is how the Emerald Ash Borer that started out being a S.E. Michigan problem has now been spread.

Be a good neighbor and don't bring any in.

Back
Top Bottom