Leaking vent replacement options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjs2657

I am new at trailer ownership, and just purchased a used Park Model Travel Trailer. The vents on the roof are leaking, and look as though they have been resealed [several times] before. I want to replace/upgrade to a fan model on one and to reseal the others. The roof is galvanized steel. I would like to do this job right the first time so my new floor project doesn't get ruined. I was thinking when I remove the vent to put a layer of eternabond tape on the galvanized roof [to reinforce and strengthen], a layer of putty tape to seal, then the vent itself. Has anyone tried it this way, if not what are your thoughts on this?
Also, the ceiling panels have been ruined. They look like plastic covered paneling [1/8 luan]. What type of replacement options are there? In Home Depot they have a type of paneling used in baths which is ALL plastic. Are there any thoughts on these, as they would not get ruined if they got moist again.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Stan

As to the sequence of replacement of the vent, I would place a layer of butyl (or putty) tape around the opening, replace the vent and then apply Eternabond (the 4" wide tape) over the edges.

The ceiling panels are another matter.  You need to make sure you stop all water entry from the top before replacing any panels.  Water doesn't just affect the outer surfaces either.  You need to ensure that you are not trapping any moisture between the roof and ceiling.  Completely seal the roof then remove the ceiling panels and repair any water damage prior to putting up your selection of a panel material.

Good luck with your project.

Back
Top Bottom