Weight Of 21 Foot TT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TravelDog4455

Hello everyone!  I am brand new to this forum and also to the world of RVs.  My family and I (the 3 of us) recently got "RV fever", and I am trying to put together a fast plan to obtain and utilize a used travel trailer up to 21 feet long or slightly longer depending on the weight of it.  Ideally it would be no older than 10 years, so models 1999 and up are being considered.  New is out of the question as I do not want to break the bank here. 

I'm willing to spend 5 or 6 grand or so.

I am trying to keep the weight down.  I have done numerous searches but cannot find an answer
to:

1) What is the average weight of a 21 foot travel trailer?  My guess is about 4500 lbs, but I
am not sure.  4500 lbs gross trailer weight is beyond my capabilities to pull, so I ask,

2) What are the brands/models of some of the lightest low twenties-footers travel trailers on the market today?

Thanks!

Older ones will be lighter, in general. The weight of trailers has been growing rapidly as buyers demand more and more amenities.
4000+ is typical for a hard sided trailer in that size. Some of the hybrids and fold-downs like a Trail Manor will be in the 3000-3500 range. To stay under 4000 on a hard sided trailer you probably need to be looking at 18 footers.

Rockwood has some nice ultralites. Starcraft has a line of hybrids (expandables) that are fairly light. And check out Trail Manor.

http://www.aero-rv.com/trailers.php?tab=specs

Thanks Gary.  I appreciate it.

I'll have to see what is lost going from 21 feet to 18 feet.  Or perhaps we should rethink the long trip idea and just get something that is comfortable, and stay within a few counties staying at parks and beaches here and there, taking our time on the road.

I know they are much lighter, but popup-tent-type trailers are out of the question for us.  Basically anything with a tent-type expansion is not very appealing to us.

Thanks again!

I would strongly consider a hybrid given the specifics you listed.

Good Luck!
Greg

You may be working the wrong end of this equation.  You need to know what the tow rating of your truck is, and where you plan to tow it -- in the east or in the far west.   Armed with that information then you can shop for a trailer using the rating to compare with the gross vehicle weight rating of a prospective trailer.

Describe your truck.

Take a look at the Rockwood Mini-lite series. You can get a 21 footer with a unladen weight around 3000 and fully loaded at 4200. And no canvas push-outs anywhere. However, I think you should reconsider what a hybrid could do for you. A hybrid is NOT a pop-up in any sense.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=brochure&nav=rec&choice=rk

You may want to  look at ECO TT's.
I have the 18Ft with  Queen Bed.  My weight fully  loaded is  about 5000 Lbs.
and  pulls easily  with my Tundra.
They  do have larger units.
Mine is great for just the two of us and our 2 dogs,  but we like to use the outdoor space alot.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom