Any guitar players?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darin

Howdy. I'm new to the forum.  Thought I'd try to make a friend or two, never know when they might come in handy. :)

I'm Darin, live near Harrsiburg PA, I enjoy long walks on the beach and quiet....... no, just kidding.

But I am a guitar player.  Just wondering if there are any others around here.

Here's my youtube page:  Darin's Youtube

I have been playing guitar since 1965, directly inspired by the Beatles to start playing. I also play bass, drums and keyboards. I am a full timer and I travel with a guitar, bass, amp and synth.

Attachments

• Cielo Stilleto.jpg
    Cielo Stilleto.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Dean Edge 09.jpg
    Dean Edge 09.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 17
I am also a guitar player.  In my RV are four guitars (6 & 12 string acoustics, and two electrics), a small amp and pedalboard.

I removed the sofa and replaced it with a recliner and had enough room left over to create a small music niche for my amp, pedal board, and guitar stand.

Steve

Guitar with a hubcap.  I play the dobro, have it with us.  Have a guitar, mando and fiddle at home as well as an amp.

No synth tho.  mainly acoustic. 

Mosty bluegrass, some vintage country & gospel.

Fred G. said:
Have played classical guitar since I was 14 years old.

You classical guys are crazy. I can't think that much!  :)  I'm into playing noodly shreddy type stuff, which can be challenging. But nothing like good classical. 

Play is a big word.  I strum along easy 3 chord songs.  I have a 12-string and a mandolin.  Got something for double-string instruments I guess.

Darin said:
You classical guys are crazy. I can't think that much!  :)  I'm into playing noodly shreddy type stuff, which can be challenging. But nothing like good classical. 
By "classical guitar", I meant the type of guitar and NOT the type of music. The closest I get to that is flamenco genre. Other than that, is mostly Mariachi, Bolero and Country music. Yeah! those classical guitar guys are nuts! I have a friend that plays that stuff, and is next to impossible for me to play that.

My wife bought me a classical guiter, I sent it back afterwatching the video explaining how to manicure and polish my fingernails.  This is when I bought my first dobro and fingerpicks. 

I prefer the steel strings, but they are all in the same general area. 

Bluegrass is way more fun.  Never heard of a classical guitar jam.  (G)

I began taking classical guitar lessons when I retired.  Took them for four years and had to quit when we started traveling.  I explained to my instructor that he had his hands full teaching me as I don't have enough rhythm to be catholic.  I do play classical music.  With the lack of rhythm it is all but impossible to play with anyone. 

I have a book and CD with me that is supposed to teach me to strum.  I figure if I can learn to strum then I can play about anything.  Perhaps I will find time enough to use it one of these days.

Where to begin, I did a stint, 1993 - 1999 as a full time bass player. I now play guitar both acoustic & electric, bass, a little banjo and even less fiddle. When I did my full time stuff I was based out of Nashville, TN and played with a couple signed artist's  on development deals. We played a very hard hitting country sort of like Eddie Van Halen meets Merle Haggard if you please. We did original, top 40 country, R&B, Blues and even a little Progressive Jazz stuff.

I still hit some of the local scene's here in Durham, Roxboro etc. and play. I do a lot of big parties as a soundman. One of the things I want to do when traveling is find some pickers and have fun. When we were in Maggie Valley last year I was on the porch of a hotel my son was staying in and pulled out the six string and had a flock of folks come over and invite me and the wife over later for a jam session. It was FUNNNNN.....

That's very cool.  I played in a country band for a few years. At first, I really had no idea what I was doing.  Then after 4 years. I still had no idea how to play country!  It seems to be like blues. If it's not in you, you can play the notes, but it just won't sound blues, or country.  I came out of the 80's rock scene, so I'm kinda stuck in that genre. 

Here's what I do. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4c1qCKUko&feature=channel_page

-Darin

PancakeBill said:
Bluegrass is way more fun.  Never heard of a classical guitar jam.  (G)

It's true that jamming, Bluegrass is way more fun.  I listen to all kinds of music and still like the heavy metal to some extent.  But for me, around a camp fire, it needs to be acoustic and nothing like Bluegrass beats it.  I have gone twice to a Bluegrass festival in Rogersville, NB and had a blast.  I'd love to go to Blistered Fingers, it's not that far from here.

Here's a teaser
Here's another

I played the  bass in a garage band starting in '64 (Voxx Bass).  Still have it and pick around on it sometime.
Recently have picked up  the Mandolin and learning the cords.  Got hooked on BlueGrass, late about 2 years ago.
Having a great time with it..  Probably won't get where I can play a lead part,  but that's OK with me. 
I like 56kz2slow  will always be a stummer..

Have a great day
Jim

Jerry Douglas is the best, and a great guy to boot.  Have had the opportunity to meet him a few times, plus backstage ppass one time.  Very humble guy. 

I have a bnch of friends that go to Blisetered Fingers, great fest.  We never got there, but if we had known we were going to leave te summer of 05, we would have made more of an effort.  Figured we were close we can go anytime. 

Blistered Fingers sounds like a great festival.  August in Maine should be nice.  We'll have to put it our schedule when we get a chance to travel that way.
(Always like the fresh lobster,  and blueberries!)

Didn't know about Jerry Douglas.  Checked him  out on-line.  Like the samples that could be heard.
May have to order a CD. 

We attend several Scottish Festivals and Highland games each year,  and you can see how our ole-timey/bluegrass/country are offsprings of Celtic music.
Not too many Scottish songs that are real happy  (Lost the girl,  Lost the wars, Crying in your Beer, etc)  But they do it in an upbeat sort of way.  And the instrumentals are very similar.

Jerry is an amazing musician.  Check out his Trans-Atlantic sessions.  Recorded in Ireland in a farmhouse with some fantastic local musicians.  Also, check out Natalie McMaster.  NS girl who will knock your socks off, saw her at theGrey Fox fest in NY.  Can dance a jig while playing the fiddle.  Amazing.

Darin said:
Howdy. I'm new to the forum.  Thought I'd try to make a friend or two, never know when they might come in handy. :)

I'm Darin, live near Harrsiburg PA, I enjoy long walks on the beach and quiet....... no, just kidding.

But I am a guitar player.  Just wondering if there are any others around here.

Here's my youtube page:  Darin's Youtube

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom