Sofa "motor" problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

One more question and I'll take a break... I promise.

I tried to convert the sofa from a sofa to a bed and I got it "down" ok but it would not return to the sofa position.  This is one of the "electric" units and the motor that does the work kinda stalled.  So I took it apart to see what I could see.

The motor was getting voltage and the switch would change between +12 and -12 VDC.  The motor turns a flexible shaft to the lead screw that raises and lowers the sofa, but the motor would not turn "on".  So I pulled the flexible shafts out of their "gear boxes" and manually raised the sofa to the "sofa position" and then reassembled the sofa.

Now I guess I need a new motor for the sofa.

Comments?

Sorry,
Has anyone else had a similar failure?  Is the motor likely to overheat and burnout a winding?  Is there an impedance measurement that would diagnose the situation?... that kind of comment?  thanks.

DonTom said:
Other than "comments?" where's the question?

-Don- SSF, CA​

Had a similar problem with mine and found that for some unknown reason, one side was moving before to other. disconnected one cable and synced the two sides and everything worked fine then. I guess it was binding with one side starting to move first.

yes, I think that is the original source of the problem, the  flex drive came loose on one side but I didn't know it and kept trying to run the motor... it got into a bind of course, then I had to take it apart and resync but now the motor doesn't respond to power....

Wizard46 said:
Had a similar problem with mine and found that for some unknown reason, one side was moving before to other. disconnected one cable and synced the two sides and everything worked fine then. I guess it was binding with one side starting to move first.

Back
Top Bottom