Winnebago 2010 Models

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Jerry and welcome to rvforum!

The Horizon/Vectra was a new model in 2004 so seeing it disappear is not real surprising - I think five to seven years is a long time in the marketing game.

I'm not able to send pics, the wifi drops out on me. I've tried to send a series of text messages to John via my cell phone with some pics of the new tag axle. It is 400 HP Maxium chassis. Has Hydro Hot zoned floor heating. 4 slides. Not able to get inside until Sunday night.

Yes, I understand that Winnie is going to also join up with Tiffin to add the "Fred" to it's offerings.  This will be a good move (IMHO) for Winnie as the FRED will cater to the young people that want a diesel engine.  The FRED is a light duty Freightliner Chassis with a GM MaxForce 7 engine, and will be available in the Sightseer and the Vista.  I don't know what engine the Adventurer FRED will have though.

I wonder if Winnie shunned the Workhorse CHassis altogether, including the UFO, the W-18 though W-24 chassis?

I'm certainly not surprised by the dropping of the Destination/Lattitude models (especially on the UFO chassis).

I wonder if the Ellipse will have upgraded amentities that the Vectra had?

FrontrangeRVer said:
I wonder if the Ellipse will have upgraded amentities that the Vectra had?

I think the Ellipse/Tour were about the same as the Horizon/Vectra except for independent front suspension on the Horizon/Vectra.

All will be revealed Monday  ;D ;D

A tag axle takes away a lot of storage, and basement A/C takes even more.  With both, it doesn't leave much room, so putting the A/C on the roof makes more sense.

Ned said:
A tag axle takes away a lot of storage, and basement A/C takes even more.  With both, it doesn't leave much room, so putting the A/C on the roof makes more sense.

That's right! I never thought of it. That would not be a good combination. The single axle Ellipse, Tour, etc still have TrueAir.

Three zoned roof airs can cool better than the basement air during those very hot days on a large coach like the tag axle. They are supposed to be more efficient and quieter than the ducted roof air of old.

Don't forget that it's supposed to be a 42' coach which makes some room in the basement.  I'd like to see roof air with Hydro Hot and the tag axle.  Best combination of space and functionality.

Roy

I looked at the tag axle chassis in the Freightliner tent. I was hoping to see a side radiator and a tag that lifted. No go for either one.

Becks ----
The XC tag axle chassis has the option of fitting a rear mounted or side mounted radiator. So Winnie can have either one depending on how they order the chassis from FCCC.

The tag axle does not lift as you indicated but does have the ability to dump the air just on the tag axle. As a matter of fact, it dumps the air automatically just on the tag axle. when you back up the coach.

Take a good look at the Ellipse to see if it has the side mounted radiator being it is an option. If does not, it won't be on the short list for me should I decide to look at a other coach in the future.

Jerry J said:
I was wondering if Winnebago is going back to the roof air, the Ellipse seems to have 3 airs on the roof.

When we toured the Winnebago factory a couple of weeks ago, the Ellipse was working it's way down the production line. The guide indicated that the roof airs were preliminary since the duct work, much more extensive than on the 40', was still being designed and tested. No indication of which would become the norm, tho he seemed to lean toward basement air.

Harry B said:
Take a good look at the Ellipse to see if it has the side mounted radiator being it is an option. If does not, it won't be on the short list for me should I decide to look at a other coach in the future.

Yeppers - it needs to have a side radiator and IFS for me to be interested.  There is no mention of either in the spec sheet unfortunately.  My theory is the Horizon/Vectra were dropped and the Ellipse/Tour take over the top spot, but without independent front suspension. 

A nice feature of the 42' chassis is the 150 gallon fuel tank.

2010 models are now showing up on Winnebago web site, though still light on the hard info.

Photos have been posted in the IRV2 Winnebago forum.

emiddleb said:
Photos have been posted in the IRV2 Winnebago forum.

Somebody posted a bunch of pictures of the Ellipse and it is unfortunately a straight axle front suspension and rear radiator.  There was a comment made that only two of the roof airs will operate at the same time.

So my suspicion about the IFS disappearing with the Horizon/Vectra model is correct - the Ellipse/Tour move up to take their place at the Horizon/Vectra price point.  Winnebago has lowered their production cost with rear radiator and straight axle, while maintaining the approximate MSRP of the more costly to produce Horizon/Vectra.

Just looked at the preview of 2010 models on Winne's website.  My take is as follows:

1.  Ellipse/Tour slightly upscaled in terms of features, cabinetry, etc. to satisfy those who would seek features in a Vectra/Horizon

2.  As John noted, no IFS or side radiator to reduce costs.....a disappointment to me but understandable in the current economy and doable since many folks shop for floorplan and give little thought to mechanicals (gotta keep the DW happy)

3.  Looks like the Journey gets 'upscaled' with two 40' floorplans, with a Journey 'Express' (39' and 34') more of the entry level DP.

Also noted in the pics of the Ellipse from the GNR that the lower front fascia lowers but doesn't seem the genset is on a slide.  That seems a bit strange....access to the genset only from either side of that big door.  Perhaps that door is designed to be easily removed for more full access to the genset.

Regarding basement air vs. roof units in the 42', I'd say if Winne hasn't up-sized the basement air to cool that larger rig, they should go with the roof top units (don't understand the comment that only two can be used at the same time??).  Most of us are aware that the basement air seems challenged in very hot weather. 

John Canfield said:
Somebody posted a bunch of pictures of the Ellipse and it is unfortunately a straight axle front suspension and rear radiator.  There was a comment made that only two of the roof airs will operate at the same time.

So my suspicion about the IFS disappearing with the Horizon/Vectra model is correct - the Ellipse/Tour move up to take their place at the Horizon/Vectra price point.  Winnebago has lowered their production cost with rear radiator and straight axle, while maintaining the approximate MSRP of the more costly to produce Horizon/Vectra.

The Ellipse is $330,000 msrp.

330K for the 40 or 42' model?  I noticed in the specifications for the 42AD, it actually has a little less external storage than the 40' plans.  The tag axle must take up quite a bit of room.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom