Winnebago 2010 Models

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
29er said:
If I am reading all the posts correctly, the 42' tag axle has a 400 hp Cummins ?
The horsepower and torque post is quite pertinent. A much heavier MH with the same hp/torque as the old models. That's something to think about.
We camp out at Valley of Fire quite often and the basement air is more than enough. Of course, I'm only talking 110-114 degrees here. LOL but true.
I love our 08 Tour WD, but don't like the way Winnebago is headed, if these posts are true. No IFS ?? except as possible option, unbelieveable.

Kerry
do you have IFS on your 08tour?

In my opinion...  If your gonna do it do it right...

I am with John and others... Sorry, No Side Radiator, and more importantly, no IFS, no deal.  I understand they might be trying to get a jump on brining in a higher end coach to the market, but this 'Flirting' with semi-ok ideas is basically why Winnie couldn't sustain the Ultimate's.  Either do it or don't, but doing it half way is only gonna cost money and drive off business...

I wanted to add a bit to this discussion. 

I would think that Winnie would also be best served by quit bringing in NAMES, and then drop them several years later.  Voyage and Vectra come to mind. 

On the other subject....IFS and side radiator.....yes, this is fairly shocking news to most of us big forum users, as these items were plainly desired by many....here on this board and elsewhere.  As much as Winnie does listen to it's customers, they might have dropped the ball on these.  :eek:

Mark - I suspect much (if not all) of the product decisions are driven by product planners that are (or better be) in touch with the likes/dislikes of existing owners of Winnebago Industries products, and what would appeal to prospective new owners. Jane and I (along with I'm sure hundreds of other Winnie owners) fill out detailed questionnaires about likes/dislikes of features, floorplans, etc, and what other features that you would like to see brought to market.  The product planners then have to synthesize all of the thousands bits of input and come up with product that will sell, and a product that has a certain price margin - Winnie need to make an appropriate profit to remain in business and satisfy the shareholder's financial expectations.

Unfortunately, a side radiator and IFS are not at all 'sexy', aren't really noticeable, and most likely the vast majority of the buying public could care less.  There is no 'bling-bling' factor in these attributes, so Winnie dropping them isn't at all surprising.  Those buyers that are educated, informed, and have the resources to afford a higher-end coach will be much more likely to demand a side radiator and IFS in their next purchase.  Winnie has abandoned this tier of customer who will now look at the Allegro Bus or Dutchstar, Mountain Aire, etc.  Oh well...

Name dropping - yup, they come and go like the tide...

I have at least one more RV in my future.  As this will be my 3rd I will be much pickier. I don?t have the figures on how many buy for pretty (first timers) verses practical.  Before the internet I am sure pretty won out over practical. With my background in diesel it would seem I would have bought a diesel one over gas. I have run the heads on all makes of diesels (adjust valves on all makes & set the injector clearance on older GM 671 & 53 series. Never owning a class A Rv the internet taught me that a gas engine would pull me over the Rockies. I gave it a try. I had to slow to 35 just once over the Rockies.  Here is what I feel important. In Alabama I have to pay 1,300 for my Tag on an $89,000 Gas Voyage. I would have to pay 3,700 a year for a tag for a 250,000 Vectra.  With cities  now short of money I expect this will go up. I pay $525 a year for insurance (don?t have the figures for what a 250,000 insurance policy would cost)
    I would have the same roof edge seal problems with either one, Vectra or Voyage (inexcusable to me) The same rust on the compartment sides, the same broken strings on the blinds, (same day night shades came on Vectra & Voyage to my knowledge in 2006) The same doorstep stair problem (bad ground) same crazy things that need repair at the dealer like hot & cold water to sink hooked up backwards.
  This next one I can?t understand at all, I installed a Splendide Washer in mine and I added and plumbed a drip pan under it. As I understand Winnebago or Tiffin will only put the drip pan in as an option! Drip pans should be under all washers in Class A that cost 250 K .
    When that heavy roller at Winnebago rolls over the side laminations with the glue and the inside wall is pressed together that wall could go on a Vectra or Voyage. What I am trying to say here is we as consumers help dictate what sells. If you can get the same basic insides, same basement air, same 4 door refrigerator, then why when I pay 89 thousand and someone else pays 250 thousand why do they have the same problems? I am not trying to turn this into a gas verses diesel thread. Just trying to say that anyone spending 250 thousand should get something much better. I have never had to bring mine back to the dealer as I can do most repairs. I still may get a diesel but will have to be shown where the value is. I have no love fest with any Rv manufacturer. I sometimes fall for the glitter myself. My Rv is paid off. Before I get the next one I will keep checking my down to earth list. I hope Winnebago stays out in front.  I have never enjoyed traveling like I do in a class A. I just want a lot more value if I go from 89 K to 250 K. The only reason I can think of for a new one now is the 3 year Ford engine warranty is just about up.

art, I look at it this way. You will never get a chevy to be a BMW, or anyother high end car. You will never get a winnebago product wether it is a $89,000 or a $25000 product to be a Newell. I have yet to see a bago product be high end. I own one, only because I could not afford a better peice of equipment. Try as they might, winnebago will alway's have that assemblyline feel,(which they should) The true hight end coaches feel one off built too me.

If I had to do it all over again, I would've bought a used coach first, not sure if it would've been a gas though, not sure if it would've been a bago either.

Art, I would like to share 2 recent experiences why I am very thankful I have a Winnebago and if I ever buy another it will be a Winnebago. It doesn't answer your questions but are things for anyone to consider when looking to buy another coach.

I've owned RVs for over 30 years, the last two being motor homes to full time in. My decision to buy Winnie, first a gas and now my DP was reinforced twice by venders over the last year.

I bought a fire supression system for the engine compartment. The alarm system was not ready so the vendor brought it to an FMCA rally and installed it for me. His first words when he lifted the bed to access the extinguisher in the engine compartment were amazement at the substantial steel decking covering the engine. He stated he had worked on most others and has never seen so good of a covering. He went on to say some use wood there .

Several months ago I purchased the Onan 30W gen auto start. The Onan guys installed it at a rally so when I began having problems with it I thought it must be the unit and not an installation issue. The unit would keep going back and forth into the "establishing communications" mode and every week or so lock up. Onan could not figure out the problem but we mutually decided to have them look at it at GNR. By the time GNR got here they discovered the problem. It is a problem they are having with Winnes. Winnebago puts, in their words "so much steel" in the cab/firewall area the signals are not getting through. They have a fix for it now.

Yes, the bells and whistles are nice to have. There are some things I would not be without but knowing what Winnebago puts into the things we can't see will have me buying one every time.  Yes you do get that same frame construction in a gas or diesel. I am glad I now have a diesel and would not want to live in a gas coach again. I loved my Adventurer but there is no comparison in the ride and storage capacity, which is important to me as a full timer.  I did look at other manufacturer processes in the past which is what led me to Winne in the first place.

As the price point increases so does the quality and quantity of the bells and whistles. We each have to decide at what point that is cost effective for us.
BTW no more broken strings on blinds with MCD now although I have to say in 10 years with those things I've never had one break (now they all will  ;D)

kevin said:
art, I look at it this way. You will never get a chevy to be a BMW, or anyother high end car. You will never get a winnebago product wether it is a $89,000 or a $25000 product to be a Newell.

No - it's not a Newell, a Prevost, MCI, London Aire (by Newmar, now discontinued I hear), nor was I looking for a Newell, etc...  Winnebago wasn't positioning the Vectra/Horizon or even the Ultimate Advantage/Freedom to be a Newell, etc.  Even if I could afford a Newell, etc, I don't see myself as needing to make that kind of statement and would rather put that money to work instead of watching it depreciate.

What I do have for my ~250K list price Horizon is a comfortable, beautiful, well designed and constructed portable living facility, entirely functional, easy to drive with every amenity that I could possibly want or need.  We are closing in on 50,000 miles of travel in the Horizon (since May 25, 2005) and I can honestly say I am a very happy Winnebago Industries camper  :) :)

I might just be to happy with my 89k unit. In my thinking if I am spending 3 times as much I should be 3 times as happy. Like I said I have never enjoyed traveling as much as I do in a class A. I am sure glad Winne is getting rid of the day night string shades. The one over the escape window that we don't even move just broke. Has anyone used a better string to fix theirs? I have some spare guitar strings that might work!

john I wouldn't want a MH for the statement, I just think that they are made alot better than a winnie. I thought that after spending over 200k I would have something that was thought out better, not to mention a company that could fix their problems at the factory.
I was hoping that they wouldn't put too long of screws in my slide out that would rip the seals, and puncture the walls, or atleast check it before they came and got me. fix the paint problems, the slide out rubbing on the floor, island sliding out ripping out of the wall while changing lanes, trim falling off the inside of the coach, last but not least, explain to me why a coach 2yrs old at the time had no problems with the sealant on the windows, until they had it at forest city, now it looks like someone used a case of black sealer and it constantly oozes out(they told me "well atleast you know it's sealed")

this is a company that baiscally not only made me put miles on my coach, but not fixed it. They only problems fixed were either done by myself or the frieghtliner dealership,cat

so for 200k I feel alittle cheated, so if I just think of winnie as my local chevy dealer I feel better, cuz I would expect this kinda treatment outta them :D

I'm glad you got a good one and they have taken care of you, that atleast gives me hope for someone, but they will never be a higher end MH company, well not to me. kevin

Kevin is a perfect example of what I call the Loves fest syndrome. He has valid complaints. I feel for him. On my Voyage someone at the factory did not hookup the sewer pipe right out of the tank & it dripped & smelled terribly for 3 months before I found it. There are going to be problems in all Rvs. Those of us who have no complaints should listen more to him. How were his complaints handled. The biggest problem I see with Winnebago is they don't seem to have a Leazon officer. Someone you can talk to & get results. I was following a big complaint about a Tiffin Bus that should have never left the factory. The forum was full of thoughts of what should be done. Well the bus owner got to talk to the Big Kahuna himself Bob Tiffin & the owner was very well taken care of. They say Bob will return all calls. I ran into a couple in an RV park with delamination on the side & it was out of warranty & Bob Tiffin had the complete side replaced free. This is far more than I expect from any Rv manufacturer. Who do we talk to at Winne? I will no be part of a Love fest unless it is earned. Art

art I just needed to vent lastnight, my bad. I just felt that if the factory can't or won't fix it, what chance to I have anywhere else ??? I felt like I was just being run thru the cow dip so to speak :p

Kevin
I can see why you are a little agitated. I would be to. Even now that I can afford to have my oil changed I still do it myself just to avoid the hassles. Art

Back
Top Bottom