Tongue weight on Front Deck Toy Hauler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cekkk

Our Wolf Pack weighs about 5k, tw dry is about 500.  But after we load two 600# ATVs up there I anticipate at least 1500 tw.  Hope more is on tt axels, but my dually with a Reese Titan class V should handle it.  My question is, it looks like a 20% or maybe more tw.  Has anyone any experience with a number like this?  I'll get the proper wd setup, and another question is, with that tw and a dually, any need to pay for sway protection?

With that much tongue weight, there shouldn't be much sway!  But get a Reese Dual Cam or an Equalizer WD hitch and the sway control is built in. Nothing extra to hook up either.

I'm guessing your tongue weight will be more like 1100-1200 lbs, depending on how you load the ATVs. That's 17.7-19%

Thanks, guys.  I'll go with the Reese, most likely.  Hate to ask for advice and then ignore it.  And I like the lower tw estimate. 

I'm wondering if you have a brand in mind.  How about Barker?  Have a surge protector Q but will start a new topic.

cekkk said:
I'm wondering if you have a brand in mind.  How about Barker?  Have a surge protector Q but will start a new topic.

If you are referring to the jack, no particular brand.  Just get the heaviest rating you can find:  3000-3500 lb. or more if you find more.  Remember when you are using the jack to take strain off the spring bars, you are lifting not only the tongue weight of the trailer, but also the rear end of the truck.

Thanks.  And for the future, is the thanks just wasting time or do you welcome them?

cekkk, common courtesy is pretty common here, so you're starting off just fine.  ;D

cekkk said:
Thanks.  And for the future, is the thanks just wasting time or do you welcome them?

Thanks are always welcome -- if for no other reason than it is nice to know that you read the replies.  Even more appreciated is a followup message on how things worked out for you at the end.  A lot of what goes on here is the collected experience of a lot of folks and follow up is important to improving that knowledge.

The internet is full of sites like this.  Just half of them should be a useful.  I'm about to post a photo of my new rig, if I can figure out how.  Can't get it on the road until title arrives - mail is so slow.

Back
Top Bottom