Best Tow rig for under $25,000 new?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darin38

I've decided to sell my Toyota FJ cruiser and small 20 ft trailer and get something real. I am looking at the new GMC 3500 HD with a two rating of 17,900 pounds. Only they all seem to start at $36,000. There must be some super buys out there right now on new trucks. I used to always find dealer specials on trucks and save thousands. My last Chevy was a 2007 1500 loaded, got it out the door for $21,900! I need a deal like that now. Anyone know where to look? I can spend up to $25,000 as I plan to spend $22,000 on my trailer.

I doubt you will find a new 3500HD within your budget. What about a lease return? My previous truck was a 1990 I got in 1993 with 72000 km on it. It had been a Hertz lease, I found some paperwork the detail shop missed, and was like new.

I just purchased a SILVERADO 2500 4WD LTZ CREW CAB-DURAMAX DIESEL 6.6L ENGINE- ALLISON 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANS--
It was not on the 72 month at 0% --  only some of the 1500 were on the 0% list..  I needed the truck and paid for that need -- err overpaid  :eek:

This truck and most others that I looked at were WAY over your stated budget.  I don't think GMC has any firesale deals coming out of bankruptcy.

The $30,000 range was about what most non-diesel 2500 were priced at...

i bought a 2500HD 4x4 with the new Duramax and LT3 trim package (one step down from LTZ).  It was an '07 still on the lot in December.  I got over 15 grand in rebates and incentives (military, tax season closeout, and a lot of incentive to sell diesels at the beginning of the oil market problems).  It was still significantly higher than what you are budgeting.  May want to consider pre-owned if you want diesel, especially with the new emissions requirements.

Your best bet is to go with a used truck. Should be able to get a good diesel for what you want to spend. No way you can get a new truck for that unless it's hot.  :D

Well is a Chevy Duramax diesel is going to set me back $50,000 new, the I might just as well buy a full sized used big rigg, semi-truck. You can find one about 1-2 years old, with less then 100,000 miles right now for under $50,000. At least with one of those, no trailer is off the possibility list. Also, those big rigs will go a million miles before they tire out. I've seen some with under 250,000 miles going for the upper $20,000s. AMAZING! I called a sale lease place and they told me the market is so flooded with used rigs due to the economy, they are practically giving them away right now.

darin38 said:
Well is a Chevy Duramax diesel is going to set me back $50,000 new, the I might just as well buy a full sized used big rigg, semi-truck.

Sure, but you can't exactly jump in it and run down to the supermarket, the mall or haul some lumber from Lowes in the bed (cause there ain't no bed). Plus your diesel mileage would be awful. IMHO. your best bet is to figure out what the approx weight of the trailer you want and buy a used diesel pickup. One that will give you decent mileage, pull your trailer and a vehicle to use when you are not towing. If you look around, you will find used truck & trailer packages for sale too, especially from someplace like Lazy Days that takes them in trade for motorhomes.

Back
Top Bottom