I keep running afoul of the 10 year rule.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nonextant

Hi,

My name is Mark, and I bought an RV to live in while stationed at Fort Lewis, Wa.

So far it has been great, but I just can't find a place to live. I am currently staying at Riverbend RV Park, just north of Lacey, and while it's a great park, when I stopped in the office today to ask if they have any monthly rate spots open, I'm told my motorhome has to be a 1990 or newer, so now I'm out on my ass on the 7th.

It seems like every RV park I go to has a 10+ year or newer rule.

I can certainly understand wanting to keep your park nice, but c'mon.... I'm quiet and clean and my ride is not held together with duct tape.

How common is this trend and does anyone know where I can stay near Fort Lewis?

I appreciate any advice you all can offer.

Thanks,

Mark

There are a few high end resorts that will enforce an age limit on RVs, but on the rare occasion we have run into those, we just say "Thanks, we'll take our business to a park that wants it".  In truth, we've only been refused entry at one park in 12 2 years since we turned 10.  At any others they have either ignored it, didn't ask, or asked for a photo and then waived the rule.  Does Fort Lewis have a famcamp?

I haven't run across one.

So far I have been to Lost Lakes (very snobbish, high end "community"), Nisqually park (ugly parking lot right next to I-5), one in olympia (can't remember the name, but half trailer park/half RV park)

It's definitely a struggle to find a park with monthly rates.

Mark

That's what they told me in the office today. I'm pretty bummed about it, as it's in a beautiful area, and very close to work. It's also been very nice and quiet other than some guy with an electric guitar over the 4th of july.

I have been asked the age of our coach a few times when traveling across county. This seems to happen more when calling ahead to find a park for the evening. I always tell the person I speak to the coach is in good condition and so far that has been good enough.

I have a policy.. If the park asks the age of my rig (currently 4 years) I ask them if they have a 10 year rule.. if they do I tell them my rig is a 2005, and I'll be parking it elsewhere.

This does not, usually, make them happy.

But it makes me happy

There are many very fine rigs out there that have been very lovingly cared for that are 15 or 20 years old and I'd be proud (or perhaps Embarassed) to park next to 'em.. ON the other hand there are some very new rigs I"d not wish to be seen near.  so the 10 year rule. just does not cut it with me.. and I make my objection known in the only language they understand... TAIL LIGHTS

Try the Olympia park on 1441 83rd Ave, SW in Oly.  I don't have the number available with me but we stay there and get weekly rates and I know of people that have been there for a year or more.  We will be there the end of August.  They are heavily treed and Sat reception is iffy if at all.  Fairly easy to get to off exit 101 with a couple of turns, about 1.5 miles altogether from the exit.

John From Detroit said:
I have a policy.. If the park asks the age of my rig (currently 4 years) I ask them if they have a 10 year rule.. if they do I tell them my rig is a 2005, and I'll be parking it elsewhere.

But it makes me happy

Sort of like cutting off your nose to spite your face?  :)

PhilB

Not at all.... Generally I find nicer parking at the "ALL ARE WELCOME" parks.  in fact so far, that "Generally" has been "Always" I"ve yet to find a 10 year park as nice as the competition

Also if enough people tell 'em "I don't deal with snobs, I don't like age discrimination"

Perhaps they will change

My theory is if they are so busy that they need to limit the age of the rig, they likely also charge too much and they clearly do NOT need my custom

If you have never stayed in a park with a 10 year rule, then you are not qualified to judge their quality.

John From Detroit said:

But it makes me happy

My old 1979 RV was the junkiest looking RV almost every place I took it to, but it has  never been refused anywhere that I would want to stay.

But RV parks with a ten year rule would NOT upset me as long as there are other RV parks in the area.  No matter what they do, they are not going to make everybody happy.

I assume the RV parks with the ten year rule are more expensive to stay at.  And I bet some of their customers would even like a five year rule.

And such rules will help keep the snobs away from the rest of us. ;D

-Don- SSF, CA​

I ended up at Nisqually RV Plaza. Not the prettiest of RV parks, but they make an exception to the year rule for military personnel.

All in all, this trend really bothers me, as Frankly, I cannot afford a newer rig, and I honestly don't believe the build quality is much better than the Motorhome I now own. I have less than 40K miles on my georgie boy, and while the style is outdated, I have been upgrading the interior since I bought it. In fact, I'm installing hardwood floors this weekend, and will soon be reupholstering it in beige microsuede. I have built new cabinets in the bedroom and will be designing new cabinetry for the front half as soon as I can come up with a good way to mount my 42" plasma so that I don't have to pull it down and pad it everytime I move. I have to live in this thing for the next 2 years so I will make it as nice as I can. That's just the interior appearance. Everything I have put in is at a higher build quality than the original equipment and from looking at newer models, it seems like most RVs are designed to look nice, but once you start in on the details, a lot of them seem rather cheaply made. Frankly, that surprised me given the prices around the 100K mark.

Now, I checked out a park called Soloman something or other in olympia last week, and I can understand owners not wanting their properties to look like run down trailer parks, but I would much rather check in and receive a list of rules and standards that give them the right to eject me for unfavorable activities or an unwanted appearance (for example, hanging my laundry out by the road or having trash around my lot) than just be turned away out of hand based solely on the age of my RV.

I stay inside most of the time and make an effort to be a quiet and courteous guest. I am friendly to the people I meet, and try to go out of my way to help others. I would like to think that I am the type of renter that owners would like to have.

I suppose that is enough of me ranting on the subject. At least I have a place to live now and can start focusing on my list of things I really need to get around to fixing on my rig.
I guess my new gripe is how hard it is to find troubleshooting and repair information (or any information at all) on the equipment installed in older RVs. For example my generator will not start... not a big problem if it's an Onan, but Kohler seems to be pretty rare. I think my next big one will be my leveling system (no power) as I seem to be sitting at a slight angle to the left rear... not enough to be a huge problem, but mildly irritating.

nonextant said:
I appreciate any advice you all can offer.

Have you tried the FT. Lewis military RV Park?

See here.

BTW, I was stationed at Ft Lewis in 1969 for a few months (for Basic and AIT) before being shipped to Vietnam as an 11B.

-Don- SSF, CA​

nonextant said:
I have less than 40K miles on my georgie boy, and while the style is outdated, I have been upgrading the interior since I bought it. In fact, I'm installing hardwood floors this weekend, and will soon be reupholstering it in beige microsuede. I have built new cabinets in the bedroom and will be designing new cabinetry for the front half

If there's a "next time" when a park wants to turn you away for the age of your MH, perhaps you should invite the staff INSIDE and see if they change their mind.  ;)

Not that you should *have* to prove your rig is "good enough", but I suppose every private business has the right to decide who they will allow in.

I recently ran into the question of age in Monterey Calif.  One place said since my MH was over the age limit the Manager would have to look it over and decide if I could stay in their campground.

Ask for and inspection if you want to stay there.

Russ, WB3FQI/6

Just because the RV is younger than 10 years doesn't mean the the people that operate them are more desirable to be around. To me, the folks around me are more important than the make, model, age and what they paid for the unit. Ever been next to a new Prevost that had an jerk for an owner. Granted, that's not the norm. Only needs to happens once!

But there's a need for rules, provided exceptions can be made for those that took care of their rigs.

Any of the park guides like woodalls list (RV) age restrictions in their listings?

Back
Top Bottom