W22 Chassis - Complete Brake Failure - Recall 50901-C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JonahNaz said:
Quick update:

1.  There is a long backlog for parts right now so it will be 3-4 weeks before they recieve the new pads, right front rotor and ABS parts.

I just returned from taking my MH to a Workhorse service center. They informed me that WH has approved they install non WH parts for now to meet the demand and then replace with the WH "fix" parts when the fix (money) is in.

I had the same offer from the service center but not from Workhorse.  The service manager mentioned the nonOEM parts but strongly recommended against it.  I am waiting for the OEM parts, but honestly, I do not know which is better or more reliable.  I went with the service manager recommendation so I would not put myself in a potential claims problem when the final recall comes through.

I would guess that if Workhorse authorized the substitution, then there should not be a problem at recall time.

I would like to say WELCOME to okiefran and Yambor44 to the forum!  :D

When the official "recall" parts come out, and you are able to take your Workhorse Chassis in to get the calipers replaced, you will hear it HERE FIRST!  Stay tuned!

ITS DONE! Yeah!

Late last week we went and picked up our MH.  All of the work was done on the brakes as promised and Workhorse is paying for the entire repair.

Replaced:

brake pads
brake rotors
caliper
brake fluid
ABS Sensor
wheel hubs / grease / bearings / cups

Forgot to add to my last post:

I talked with the service manager who did the work and asked if he had any information about the pending recall:

1.  Still hearing that it is planned for sometime this Fall
2.  Most likely it will cover all wheels on the MH's, but this is not definate as of what he heard last
3.  The 'fix' is not yet fully known and there will be delays getting suppliers tooled up to produce inventory.
4.  Unknown if pads/rotors will be replaced or just calipers / caliper components.
5.  Estimated cost per MH will be over $1000 to Workhorse/suppliers.  {I can't imaging having to eat a $50MM problem in this economy.}

cjramblers
winnebago adventurer 34 ft
wh chassis
brakes

Can anyone comment on what happens to owners who had brakes fixed early Jan this year because calipers and pads burned up, abs and heat sensors burned, all rotors were cracked.  We paid over $3000.  out of pocket after our warranty paid their share.  This was before workhorse would admit there was a problem and we saw 3 or 4 rigs lined up behind us at the service center waiting to have their brakes done.  We did receive $1700. (Goodwill) from workhorse but are still out $1440.  How do we get the balance of our money from workhorse.  We still will have to have the brakes done again when the recall comes through with a fix because the same brakes were put on our rig as were on there before. 

Workhorse refused to admit any problems at all  at that time so where do we stand.  Does anyone out there has a contact at worhorse who could help us recover what we had to pay out of pocket (charged it) (the $1440)??

It's interesting how much more cooperative workhorse is now compared to Jan of this year. 

Carl and Judy

JonahNaz said:
ITS DONE! Yeah!

Late last week we went and picked up our MH.  All of the work was done on the brakes as promised and Workhorse is paying for the entire repair.

Replaced:

brake pads
brake rotors
caliper
brake fluid
ABS Sensor
wheel hubs / grease / bearings / cups

While I realize WH paid for the repairs, any idea what the total cost was?

Carl and Judy, please call the Workhorse Factory Recall at 877-294-6773 for any information about the brake recall.  There have been several members here that have sent in a request for reimbursements.  I'm not sure if they will pay any more than they did when you agreed on the amount they submitted to you the first time, but you can send in a claim to:

Campaign Recall Center
850 Stephenson Hwy
Hwy Suite 510
Troy, MI  48083

My understanding is that they are requesting a cover letter, all invoices and receipts, and a copy of your vehicle registration.

And to answer your other question, YES, you will need the "updated" calipers, because the replacement parts that were installed on your unit are still the problem parts.  Hang in there, as Bosch is building 200,000 of these calipers and you will get four of them in the recall.....sometime this Winter!

Good luck!

JonahNaz, thanks for the update and information!

While the Workhorse owners that haven't had brake problems will most likely only receive the updated calipers for the recall, at least you got new pads!  Drive safe and try not to use your brakes that much until you can get in to get the updated calipers when they come out in the fall (they will have STEEL sliding pins).

Word at the Workhorse Motor Club rally in Greenville, OH was that the caliper piston will now be steel instead of phenolic. The piston has been the real culprit, the slide pins haven't been as much of a problem unless the coach sat inactive for a long period in a very moist atmosphere and corroded. Using the brakes should be more beneficial than sitting idle.

Richard,

I have no idea what the total cost would have been if Workhorse had not covered on warrenty.  Based on the damage I am sure it was $1000 - $2000.  There was also a towing bill for a 100+ miles from our house to the service center.  I am sure that was north of $500.

I know that there are a lot of people who spent a lot of money out of pocket on brake issues.  I bought this unit used last November and the chassis was a couple of years past the normal warrenty period, yet all was covered by Workhorse.  While that does not seem right, I would like to think that the efforts of many people to pressure NHTSB and Workhorse are starting to pay off.  I would also like to think that people would be properly reimbursed for previous expenses.

My quess is that we will not really know until later this fall or winter.

FrontrangerRVer,

You do realize that I am "one of them", one of the six Ambassadors, however, I try to be as honest as possible and have the RVer in mind ---

Unfortunately there are restraints we have to operate under, but I try to get truthful info out. Also, I registered here with the same screen name I use on all sites I visit.

This may or may not be part of the brake issue ---

I recently greased my Zerk on the master cylinder bell crank with chassis grease.  Within 2 miles, my coach and toad brakes were very slow to release when I took my foot off the brake pedal after applying the brakes. The cruise control failed to operate unless I raised the brake pedal with my foot. The actual fix was to flush the chassis grease out with white lithium, which is the correct grease, and the boot on the pedal shaft through the firewall needed to be "pushed" toward the firewall, allowing the pedal/boot to fully return the pedal.
  I wonder if this may also be happening on other coaches and "dragging" the brakes somewhat.

I just hope Bosch gets the new parts out ASAP -- this issue has gone on far to long.

[quote author=miket]one of the six Ambassadors[/quote]

Is this an official manufacturer position, a part time job for which folks are reimbursed, or a volunteer advocate role? Someone explained this to me once, but I've forgotten the answer. TIA.

Tom, the Workhorse Ambassador position is a volunteer position within Workhorse, and while they receive no salary for the "title", they do recieve all their expenses  while attending Rallys etc.  Their main job is to promote the Workhorse product in a positive light.  The Ambassadors have no "inside information" that the others of us don't have about the chassis except that they are in closer contact with the manufacturer than the average owner.

Miket, yes I knew you were a Workhorse Ambassador, but it seems by your posts on RV.Net you don't express your opinions as if it were an official statement from Workhorse like one of the other Ambassadors is doing at irv2, and I believe the owners here appreciate that.  Thanks for being honest and keeping the RVer in mind, and the "cheerleading" to a facts only position.

Keeping the brake problem "blame game" to a minimum is a good idea to, as we are all tired of the hearing this nonsense from one of the Ambassadors elsewhere, and it appears that you haven't fed into that, so.....THANKS!  Glad you saw my invite on another board and decided to join us here.   ;)

FrontrangeRFVer & Tom,

The last post pretty much sums up my deal with WH --  we are actually  sub contractors, not employees as such ---  They don't quite pick up all expenses, but cover certain items. We attend some trade shows and also OEM rallies, WIT, Good Sam, HR, Monaco, etc.

I know whom you are referring to, and I have my own opinion of what goes on at that site ---  I've  had some of my posts re-arranged to change content and intent --- I find RVNet better, and thanks to a note I saw there, I've found this site. I will only post what seems to be truthful and informative, and not preach --- as I said, I'm an RVer too, and have seen some unfair things ---

Thanks for that explanation Mark. My question was addressed to miket, but I see Mike has confirmed your explanation.

Mike, my reason for asking about the Ambassador role and the relationship with the manufacturer(s) is that we have a member group for "Industry Representatives", with 3 dedicated message boards. Industry Reps are granted posting access to the 3 boards, and are assigned a badge that appears beneath their name in forum messages. The badge lets forum members know they have an affiliation with the manufacturer or supplier, and that they're essentially representing the interests &/or position of the company.

You can browse the 3 boards by clicking the Home button above and scrolling down to the Industry Representation and Support area. Take a peek at the sticky introductory message on each of the 3 boards, e.g. this one, and let me know via email if you fit the definition. TIA.

Tom.. I don't know what ambassador you are refering to on IRV2, but I do know that at least one person on IRV2 is an official representative of Workhorse

I do not know his screen name

I do know his real name and title within the company

But I'd rather not state it here.. But part of his job is writing company policy on many things.

John,

I don't really care who does what on some other Forum; I was merely responding to miket's comment here in this message.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom