W22 Chassis - Complete Brake Failure - Recall 50901-C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FrontrangeRVer said:
Most of the Workhorse owners that owned these chassis have either sold their motorhomes since then, or just given up trying to figure out when Workhorse would pull their head out of the sand.  Also most have left this forum for greener pastures......

The rest of us are still waiting on the official recall....not rhetoric or cheerleading. 

And golden....you will hear about the recall here at RVForum.net! Thanks for the shoutout!  ;) 

If there is someone else that would like a summary like a "Brake Recall for Dummies", I would be glad to post that information if someone is interested or confused on what has been going on for several years with this brake problem.  There is a TON of information out there though, and owners of affected Workhorse Chassis should have two interim recalls, so most wouldn't need that information as they would be in tune with the upcoming recall.
You are right,There's no cheerleading here.  If you want the truth , come here. Driver's just a glorified "paid"salesman. Still cant figure out why driver wont explain how he is paid by wh.  Someone over there just the other day asked him that question directly but he never answered.  HUM.

I just did my monthly call to Workhorse looking for a status on the brake recall.  I was told that Bosch is only just now tooling up for production.  They would not give me any time-lines what-so-ever!  I will continue doing my monthly calls to try to get a status.

BTW....I am new to this forum and have been over at rv.net and just recently found this one!

stugpanzer, all of us owners of the affected units have received two "Interim" recall notices, and we are waiting on the Official brake recall.

Please make sure you are the registered owner on record over at Workhorse.com, and you will recieve notification when the official recall is announced.

I will announce the recall here on this board as soon as it is announced....stay tuned!

Welcome to RVForum.net!

Mark

Thanks to everyone for their posts. I'v been following since my first notice. Mine is an 2003 35' Adventurer. I haven't had the brake problem with my coach but sounds as if I am a prime candidate. I purchased with 16000 miles in '07 and now have 20000 miles. We managed to do a 2000 mile trip w/o problems in '07 then moved from Idaho to Oregon w/o problems. Since the move last October '08 the MH has been sitting (with maintenance ongoing) here on the humid NW coast of Oregon. I plan on flushing the brake fluid with DOT 4 this spring and doing some small trips this summer. I am a little apprehensive about traveling, which upsets me as I shouldn't have to be. Previous posts are correct Work horse and Winnebago's reputations are suffering. A reminder- According to a phone conversation with WH your MH must be registered with the State since that's where they get the addresses. Side question...What is a good reasonably priced brake bleeder which will work on my MH?
Thanks, be Safe and enjoy.

Fletcher, welcome to RVForum!  You will get some advise and info from your fellow Workhorse Chassis owners here!  :).  I bought some "Speed Bleeders", and haven't installed them yet, as I understand the recall will involve new Bosch Calipers, and I want to install them on the new calipers.

Also, check on Workhorse.com for your correct address on file, as that is the list that Workhorse will use to mail out the official (and Interim) notices.

Windsport 02....good to see you again!  :)

I posted the following on RV.Net:
(http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23636984/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm)

I would like to respectfully ask the moderators to consider making this a sticky.

I spoke to The Director of Service for Workhorse over at Navistar (Workhorse Parent Company). I expressed my concern with not really knowing what is going on with the brake recall and also being concerned for my family safety with regards to my RV.

Even though he would not give me a time, my impression is that we will be seeing recall replacements beginning sometime mid-summer.

Meanwhile, he offered to give me his contact info and some documentation that might be helpful for those of us with the brakes in question.

I want to be very clear before I go any further. I am not affiliated in any way to Workhorse or Navistar and if you would check my posts, you will find that I came from TT's over to Class A's fairly recently.

I am under the impression that the person I spoke to is on top of the problem and is willing to answer questions and concerns that I have. I told him that I would post whatever I hear from them here so others can benefit. He asked that I not give his contact info as he would be inundated by calls. I respectfully agreed so no names here. I will tell you though that if you don't feel there is enough info here, either PM me and I will forward it to him or do the same thing I did and call Navistar to get the same info I have here. Also, I am sending him the link to this thread so he can monitor it and perhaps....who knows....maybe he will answer questions/concerns here. Either way, they will know about this thread which is why I respectfully ask the moderators to sticky this thread.

I received three docs that I want to share with you. They are as follows:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mcuy2yz2dj0
50902-I Bosch Brake Interim Diagnosis Information Bulletin FINAL 9-23-09.pdf
-This doc is an informative doc for Workhorse service centers and includes photos and descriptions of the brake problems.

http://www.mediafire.com/?22mj4amtagz
Bosch Brake Update Q & A 12-15-09.pdf
-This doc is Q&A doc for dealers and how to handle specific customer questions.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mz05yzdnqnm
Tech Report 3 Mountain Driving 12-11-09.pdf
-This doc is a Technical Report on using the engine for braking and giving suggestions for mountain/hill driving.

This is the best info I have received from Workhorse thus far. This information helps me to get down to facts and not as much speculation. As I hear more, I will update this post and hope that it becomes a sticky.

Thank you

I've looked, I read and now I need help. How and where do I find the Chassis I have? Also is this problem with all workhorse chassis. I?ll keep track of the forum for the latest. Thank bill

Bill, if you still own your 2009 Hurricane with the Ford V-10, you will have a Ford F-53 Chassis.

FrontrangerRVer, you said:
Bill, if you still own your 2009 Hurricane with the Ford V-10, you will have a Ford F-53 Chassis.

Is this a good thing, well I guess as good as you could expect for being made all over the world.

bill

Bill, you own an excellent motorhome chassis, with the V-10 and 5-speed transmission with a tow/haul mode..  You should expect many years of trouble free service with the Ford chassis.  :)

The M/H is a 2009 but the chassis may have been made earlier. As far as the F-53, where do I find info on this chassis? Where do I find on the coach the "F-53" I have gone to http://www.workhorse.com/  but can fund nothing on the F53. Just wondering, I like reading and keeping up with this kind of stuff? bill

burgiebill,

I think you are getting confused:

Ford engines motor home are built on a F-53 chassis, NOT on Workhorse chassis.  You do not have a workhorse chassis.

Chevy engine motor homes are built on workhorse chassis. 

If you go to a Ford website you should be able to find information.  Here is a web site that might provide the information you are looking for:
http://www.commtruck.ford.com/vehicles/stripped_chassis/f53.html

Marsha~

Boy oh boy Marsha I went a long way past confused, I went straight to the twilight zone. Thanks for helping out. Thnaks for the help,  :(

bill,

Always glad to help!  It took me forever to figure things out; and sometimes I still get it wrong. 

We bought a diesel motor home and were completely lost for at least a year or more; and even now something will come up that we don't know about....... ;)    It's all a learning process.

Enjoy your motor home.
Marsha~

I just got through putting my event on the NHTSA web site. I have a Workhorse W-22 2002 Model under a GeorgieBoy 35.5'. I have replaced all 4 calipers, two rotors and one set of front wheel bearings. This all occured
in late 2007 and early 2008. I have continued to talk to Workhorse and this last week I talked to / ELIE AZZI DIRECTOR, PRODUCT WARRANTY BOSCH BRAKING SYSTEMS CORPORATION 401 NORTH BENDIX DRIVE SOUTH BEND, INDIANA 46628 PHONE: 574-237-3104. His first reply was that they have not started to retool at this time because of a riff between Workhorse and NHTSA then he stopped talking and told me that I needed to talk to WorkHorse it was their problem not Bosch. I had also been writing to Workhorse Technical Support to determine when the campaign would become active. They (WorkHorse) would not comment inthat they do not see it as an active campaign at this time.  I found this out while looking at "My Workhorse" and notice that the Recall 50901-C was not listed. Thats when I asked WorkHorse and they informed me of the "Not Active"  I will post the notes from Workhorse and I if you would like to read them.  When I talked to NHTSA about the issues they were (they said) unaware of any of these type problems but if you look at their web site Safercar.org and do a defect search there are many complaint such as mine.

First, I have had medical issues, and since there is no new real news to report, I haven't posted in a long while. I am as frustrated as all of you at the time it has taken for a solution to this problem. I have not been informed of any new movement in the availability of the "new" parts.    :(

When some useful info is released to me I will pass it on.  :-[

I have not done any events in FL this year  Maybe next year ??? 

Mike...its great to hear from you, and here is a wish for better health.  Don't worry about reporting the Workhorse issues, as us owners are all in the dark, and waiting to hear something.  The health issues should be a front runner, and the other will be taken care of somehow. 

Back
Top Bottom