2002 Starcraft Tent Trailer - Electrical System & Converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

North of 60

Hi,

I just brought a 2002 Starcraft tent trailer and I?m having some electrical issues and was wondering if anyone night be able to help??

Yesterday I hooked up a new battery and the battery to converter fuse blew ? I tried installing another fuse and it sparks and blows - is my converter screwed now??

Also, when I plugged into 110 Volt my cooling fan for my breaker box is always running is this normal?

Are you sure you got the battery polarity correct?  Incandescent lights will work fine no matter which way the battery is hooked up, but it can cause major problems (including blown fuses) with the rest of the system.

The fan cools the 120 volt to 12 volt converter that's located in the fuse/circuit breaker center.  Whether it runs full time or only when needed depends on what kind of converter you have.

We recently replaced batteries just to find our out converter was shot too and was more than likely the reason for bad batteries.

Thanks for your input Lou & Utmtman!

The Battery is hooked up correct - I tripled checked  :)
The converter is a Centurion - - - after reading the manual again I think I might have blown the AC input fuse, could this be my issue??

The ac input fuse can't be blown if the fan is still running.

Can you get things to work the way they did before you installed the battery?  If so, can you install a fuse (without it blowing) when the trailer is NOT plugged into ac?  If so, can you get your interior lights to work from your new battery?

If you can't accomplish all of the above, your battery is NOT installed correctly.

As (the other Lou) said, the lights would still work from the battery even installed backwards.  That big spark and blown fuse says the output of your converter and the battery you are attaching it to are NOT at the same potential and/or polarity.

Back
Top Bottom