Verizon Data Service on Month to Month Basis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

Not sure if my title explains what my real question is or not, but I'm interested in having data service that I can turn on and off and pay only when I use it.  There was a thread not long ago on this subject and I can't seem to find it now.

My real questions are:

Can I get just this service (feature) and order service a month at a time?

Should I arrive at the Verizon store with air card in hand, or purchase from them?

Will the card be very expensive without signing up for a 2 year plan?

Can I get a card cheaper somewhere else?

Can someone point me to that previous thread?

Thanks in advance.  My CRS is working overtime.

Lou,

The service provider gives you the aircard when you sign up.  You don't just go out and buy an aircard.  You'll have to contact each one of the providers to find out which one is cheapest for you and if you can get the plan on a monthly basis (probably not - the whole idea is to get a 2-year commitment).

ArdraF

The last time I tried (November) Verizon did not allow you to turn an air card on and off although you can put it on a vacation plan under certain conditions. I ended up buying a PDA with the tethering FEATURE. (Verizon features can be turned on and off at will.)

This past May I purchased an air card off of EBay for around $40, went to a local Verizon Store and activated it for about $40, a 1 time charge, and used it on my 3 week trip. Deactivated it and the cost was $60 for a months charge. I was told there would be no more charges, except the monthly charge the next time I activated it. It?s just what I wanted as I don?t take many trips per year. I don?t know how many times per year I can go on and off.

I recently investigated this and settled on purchasing a cell phone that I can tether to my laptop to get internet access.  If you have a tether-capable cell phone with Verizon, you can turn on and off tethering at any time and they prorate the service to the day.  It is $50 per month for tethering, so that works out to less than $2.00 per day (plus your regular cell phone plan charge).

I purchased my cell phone last week (LG Dare) and I have not tried tethering yet.  I plan to test it this weekend.  I also purchased a Cradlepoint router so I can use the laptop with out being tied down by a cable.  The whole package was around $175 through the 3G Store.

For more info go to 3GStore.com and EVDOInfo.com/tethering.

I'll let you know how it works after I test it out this weekend.

Good luck,
Delbert

You have three options, Lou.

The easiest way is to use a cell phone that has modem capability (most of them, these days) and tether it to the computer when needed. Tethering means to connect it with a USB cable or Bluetooth wireless.  That way you can activate the Mobile Broadband data feature as an add-on to your voice account and there is no fee for starting and stopping. The monthly fee is $49.99 and it is prorated day by day, so about $1.67/day.

Verizon now allows you to have a month-to-month, no contract data plan for a cellular modem  (aka air card) if you buy the modem outright. The modem costs about $200 if you buy it from them, but you can usually pick one up elsewhere for  less. And there are used ones on ebay too. The cost is $59.99 per month for that but there is an activation fee, as Visc1 described.

If you buy the modem thru Verizon or a dealer such as The 3Gstore, the modem is usually free but there is a 2 year contract at $59.99/month. You can put your contract "on vacation"  once or twice a year and suspend payments and there is is a suspension fee of $15 each time.

visch1 said:
This past May I purchased an air card off of EBay for around $40, went to a local Verizon Store and activated it for about $40, a 1 time charge, and used it on my 3 week trip. Deactivated it and the cost was $60 for a months charge. I was told there would be no more charges, except the monthly charge the next time I activated it. It?s just what I wanted as I don?t take many trips per year. I don?t know how many times per year I can go on and off.

The rules seem to change from time to time and place to place.

I bought an air card with the understanding that I could suspend at will.

The second time I suspended service I was told that I could only suspend twice in two years.  There is also a $15 suspension charge.

Talking with the Verizon person I learned that I could Deactivate and no cost, and within 90 days could reactivate at no cost - with no guarantee that my number or plan would still be available.

Joel

Thanks everyone.  I found the other thread from last January/February.  Between that thread and your timely updates here, I have a pretty good idea of what's available and how I want to proceed.

I usually only take one extended trip per year where I know I need access that I can't achieve any other way.  I'll check it out today.

Thanks again.

When we were looking at the same options I chose to purchase the router and air card, and use the service both on the road and at home.  We have been well satisfied. 

RV Roamer said:
Verizon now allows you to have a month-to-month, no contract data plan for a cellular modem  (aka air card) if you buy the modem outright. The modem costs about $200 if you buy it from them, but you can usually pick one up elsewhere for  less. And there are used ones on ebay too. The cost is $59.99 per month for that but there is an activation fee, as Visc1 described.

It seems those who work at the Verizon Wireless store near here don't know about it. Yesterday, I went into a V/W store and they told me that the minimum charge to use an air car is a one year contract.

-Don- SF, CA​

It is quite common for the store reps to be uninformed about data card usage and plans. Few people are interested in paying full price at the store for a modem, so nobody ever asks and the clerks don't know about it. Just keep asking and be sure to say "I have my own data card/modem and just want to get it activated".

RVcyclist said:
It is $50 per month for tethering, so that works out to less than $2.00 per day (plus your regular cell phone plan charge).

I purchased my cell phone last week (LG Dare) and I have not tried tethering yet.

Delbert, I have been tethering for several months now - and am very pleased with the plan.

If you are under certain level of PDA plan, the monthly fee to tether is only $15.00 (which I am). It is month to month with no set up fee. I can startt and stop whenever.  Am not sure of the PDA level cut off, best check with a Vz store. There seems to be different levels of stores in terms of how much they know about services available. In Avalon, AZ, the store referred me to the Goodyear store saying it was a cooperate (I think) store. Here in Roseville, the Vz store seems to know everything as well. This where I purchased the tethering plan.

Not sure if has been mentioned, but you cannot use the phone for calls while tethering - tho voice mail and all cointinues to work. You can purchase a second line for $9.99 and a second cheap phone - and use call forwarding while tethering..

In order for tethering to make sene, you need a phone with EDVO "REV-A". Otherwise it is too slow. Your LG-dare probably has it. I tried the air card first and find that tethering gives me the same speeds.

Bob Buchanan said:
Delbert, I have been tethering for several months now - and am very pleased with the plan.

If you are under certain level of PDA plan, the monthly fee to tether is only $15.00 (which I am).

Not sure if has been mentioned, but you cannot use the phone for calls while tethering - tho voice mail and all cointinues to work. You can purchase a second line for $9.99 and a second cheap phone - and use call forwarding while tethering..

Bob:

Are you already paying 45.00/mo for data on your phone? Verizon told me that the additional charge for tethering is dependent upon the plan you are on. I am on a 29.99 data plan so the tethering charge is 30.00/mo more. It is supposed to add up to the total of 60.00/mo that an aircard costs.

Like Gary my Verizon 8900 receives calls while online.

Bob Buchanan said:

In order for tethering to make sene, you need a phone with EDVO "REV-A". Otherwise it is too slow. Your LG-dare probably has it. I tried the air card first and find that tethering gives me the same speeds.

Bob,

When tethered with my Verizon BlackBerry, an incoming call rings the phone and gives me a choice to answer or ignore.  If I answer, the data is on hold and continues when I end the call.

PhilB

The LG Dare is EVDO Rev A compatible.  I turned on tethering a few days ago to make certain that everything worked as planned.  I am very pleased with the results.  Today I tethered the Cradlepoint router to the phone and got it working.  I had a little trouble setting up my computer, but a call to the tech support at the 3GStore took care of the problem.  I am impressed the the personnel at the 3GStore and I highly recommend them.

The plan that I have for the phone is the lowest cost plan that Verizon has available for nationwide access.  The phone is not a PDA, so I do not have a data plan. I considered purchasing a Blackberry, but I would not use it enough to justify the cost of the plan.  With my plan, the monthly cost of tethering is $49.95, but it is prorated for partial month use.

This is the perfect solution for me.  I am teaching an online course this summer and need access to the internet everyday (including weekends).  Now we can travel on weekends without worrying about finding WiFi access.

Jeff said:
Verizon told me that the additional charge for tethering is dependent upon the plan you are on. I am on a 29.99 data plan so the tethering charge is 30.00/mo more. It is supposed to add up to the total of 60.00/mo that an aircard costs.

I wonder how that will work on my plan. I pay as I go. I used to have a contract until I noticed I only used the cell phone one time in four months. The normal mode for my cell phone is OFF. I always have it with me but mainly just for emergencies. My cellphone is a Samsung / Verizon  model SCH-U650 which I have used more as a Camera (it saves to a mini-SD card in the phone) and that has not been much either.

I have a Verizon USB  aircard (model UM150VW) that I have never used.  I may activate it soon. I would like to be able to get on line during my RV trip in Alberta in about two months.  I have not yet even looked into if it will work up there. If not, I probably won't even bother with it and just throw it back in my junk box.

-Don- SSF, CA​

DonTom said:
I wonder how that will work on my plan. I pay as I go. I used to have a contract until I noticed I only used the cell phone one time in four months. The normal mode for my cell phone is OFF. I always have it with me but mainly just for emergencies. My cellphone is a Samsung / Verizon  model SCH-U650 which I have used more as a Camera (it saves to a mini-SD card in the phone) and that has not been much either.

I have a Verizon USB  aircard (model UM150VW) that I have never used.  I may activate it soon. I would like to be able to get on line during my RV trip in Alberta in about two months.  I have not yet even looked into if it will work up there. If not, I probably won't even bother with it and just throw it back in my junk box.

-Don- SSF, CA​

Don:

Lat year Verizon's data plan for Canada was paid by the kb as they had no flat rate plan for data. It was expensive!

Jeff said:
Don:
Lat year Verizon's data plan for Canada was paid by the kb as they had no flat rate plan for data. It was expensive!

I didn't think V/W even had a flat rate data plan these days. Or does it?

But how expensive is "expensive"?  About how much per minute?

-Don- SF, CA​

In the US Verizon's "unlimited" data plan is actually 5GB which handles most people's personal needs but in CAnada they were a few cents per KB which adds up to big bucks in a hurry if you do anything but a quick check for email.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom