Verizon Data Service on Month to Month Basis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ned said:
I can see 2 disadvantages to the 1151.  If you're in a marginal service area you can't orient the antenna as you can with a USB air card and you can't share the connection with other computers, at least not easily.  I'll look forward to your actual usage reports.

I like the idea that I don't have to plug anything into it.  And just moving it an inch or two can make a big difference.  IOW, I can orientate the entire 1151 if really necessary.  And "sharing the connection" ain't much of an issue to me with this. But what is it that will make such difficult with the 1151?

BTW, can I still activate my air card for use with my other notebook computers on this same V/W account?  I assume there will just be a one time activation fee.

It might  take a while to get an accurate report as the real test is a trip well out of the SF Bay Area. 

-Don- SF, CA​

Yes, you may be able to reorient it but you can't hang it out the window or put it on the roof :)  To share it would require enabling ICS on the netbook, if the supplied version of XP even supports that, and a switch or WiFi access point.  But I don't think that will work as it apparently doesn't have an Ethernet port.  It's fine if all you need is a standalone internet access device and will always be in a good cellular service area.

I believe that the air card would require a new account and another $60/month.

Ned said:
Yes, you may be able to reorient it but you can't hang it out the window or put it on the roof :)  To share it would require enabling ICS on the netbook, if the supplied version of XP even supports that, and a switch or WiFi access point.  But I don't think that will work as it apparently doesn't have an Ethernet port.  It's fine if all you need is a standalone internet access device and will always be in a good cellular service area.

I believe that the air card would require a new account and another $60/month.

IIRC,  it has both 811 W/L and an Ethernet port. Even my EEE PC has both. But I will let you know for sure in a couple of days. And I can always climb up to the roof with it as long as the weather isn't too bad! ;D

-Don- SF, CA​

I was going by the page you linked to, no mention of an Ethernet port.

Ned said:
I was going by the page you linked to, no mention of an Ethernet port.

But it does have 802.11b.g according to here.

"HP Mini 1151 NR. Specs for this 10.1-inch, 3G-capable portable are exactly what we heard via leaked documents, but for those just joining us: 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, two USB 2.0 ports, 802.11b/g, SD slot, and Windows XP Home with Service Pack 3."

And an Ethernet port according to  here:

"1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 processor, 16 GB solid state drive, 1 GB RAM, 54g Wi-Fi LAN (802.11b/g), 10/100 Ethernet, Bluetooth, 3-Cell Lithium-Ion Polymer battery"

"In addition to its integrated 3G cellular broadband connectivity, this HP Mini notebook has an integrated 54g wireless LAN that's compatible with 802.11b and 802.11g wireless networks, as well as an Ethernet jack for plugging into a wired network. With the integrated Bluetooth connectivity, you can communicate and synchronize with Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as PDAs and cell phones as well as use Bluetooth-enabled headsets for handsfree video chats. To increase your storage capabilities, you can access optional Secure Digital (SD) or MultiMedia (MMC) memory cards. Here's the full list of connectivity options:

# 2 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
# 1 notebook expansion port
# SD/MMC memory card reader
# 1 headphone out/microphone in combo jack (iPhone compatible)
# RJ-45 port for 10/100 Fast Ethernet conne

-Don- SSF, CA​

Yes, I said it had 802.11.  The page you referenced was incomplete then as it didn't mention the Ethernet port.  Or the Amazon page is wrong :)  The VZW version may not be equipped the same as the standard HP model.  The fact it has builtin cellular proves that, so it's not beyond reason to think they may have eliminated the Ethernet port in its place.  I would go to a VZW company store and look at it first, but you've already ordered, so I guess we'll know shortly.  In any case, Ethernet isn't that important today as long as it has 802.11.  Setting up ICS is a PITA anyway.

Ned said:
Yes, I said it had 802.11.  The page you referenced was incomplete then as it didn't mention the Ethernet port.  Or the Amazon page is wrong :)  The VZW version may not be equipped the same as the standard HP model.  The fact it has builtin cellular proves that, so it's not beyond reason to think they may have eliminated the Ethernet port in its place.  I would go to a VZW company store and look at it first, but you've already ordered, so I guess we'll know shortly.  In any case, Ethernet isn't that important today as long as it has 802.11.  Setting up ICS is a PITA anyway.

None of that stuff are real issues to me anyway. I have many notebook computers and USB to Ethernet adapters are cheap anyway (see here).

To set up ICS in XP, see here.

I will let you know more about the V/W notebook tomorrow. I will use my Ethernet cable to post here with my new V/W notebook . . . I think ;D.

I should have it by this time tomorrow as long as I am home when they deliver (it will be delivered before 1500 hrs according the the Fed Ex website).

-Don- SSF, CA​

I just tethered my LG Dare yesterday on my laptop, and I will only have to pay $30/month (for the standard max 5GB useage), and I can start/stop the "feature" as much as I want for free.  You also get the first month free with the tethering feature.  It works great!  ;D

Verizon does need to get it together by allowing us to start/stop this feature ONLINE though.  ::)

Mark, I may have stated this earlier on this thread, I forget, but I had to upgrade my phone (at full retail price) 'cause the old one wasn't tether capable.  I have to pay $49 a month for the 5GB, and there were no freebee's.  Maybe it has something to do with what voice plan you already have/had.  I just have a basic no frills 500 minute voice plan.

I, too, wish we could start and stop it on-line.  I didn't even try to deactivate it over the phone at the end of my last trip.  I just stopped by the store.

I started tethering because of your post here and the information gleaned from it Lou!   ;D

Yeah...I have some premium plan alread (1400 minutes family plan) for my family, so I was able to get the $30/mo tethering plan.

We have Cable broadband at home, so I most likely will deactivate my tethering feature after the free first month, and then re-activate it when we need to go somewhere.  

Thanks for the info, Mark.  Hope it all works as advertised for you.

BTW - Verizon was very prompt, and accurate, on the billing adjustments for the time I had the feature activated.

Back
Top Bottom