Depreciation? How much and how quick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyGirl

We bought a Jayco 1207 new in the Spring and after camping this summer have decided that a small travel trailer is more what we want and so would really like to trade up.

However, we know we may lose some money in the process - how do I find the reasonable trade-in value.  The dealer we purchased from has offered us $1900 less than we paid and that number is way below the NADA low retail guide. 

Any comments are suggestions are appreciated.

We do realize that we would probably do better selling ourselves; but would rather not go that route if we have an option.

The actual trade in number you get will usually be the wholesale value. The wholesale value used to about 70% of the average retail value and as far as I know still is.
The dealer may play games with the numbers to make it appear that you get more but in my experience you rarely do.

If you think about it - the dealer has to sell your trade in for more than he pays you for it. He expects to pay wholesale and sell at the average retail value.

HappyGirl said:
We do realize that we would probably do better selling ourselves; but would rather not go that route if we have an option.

I think you answered your own question there.  Dealer trade-in values are the worst in the car/RV business, it's how they make money.  I would think you'd have a good chance to sell your unit by placing a couple local ads, especially over the next couple months during the peak of the summer camping season.

Trade (wholesale is maybe 60-70% of retail. Of course, you should also get a discount on the MSRP of whatever new one you buy, and the dealer usually adds that to the trade value to make it look better.

It's summer - put it in your yard with a For Sale sign on it and see what happens. Other people have the "new RV bug" too.

:) Hi Girl,
This is where most people go for reference.
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-25-0-5602-887-982-50664&l=1&w=25&p=38&f=5693&gc=rv&gtc=tt&any=0
NADA - Recreation Vehicle Consumer Pricing 1975 to 2009

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom