Hood modification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captain bud

After countless attempts to adjust the hood on my 2003 35U, I decided to change the swing of the hood from a downward motion, to a standard "lift up hood" configuration.The first step was to find hinges that would accomplish this. I found a pair in stainless steel in a marine store in a plain plastic bag (manufacturer ??) which would work. I used nylon shimming material to compensate for the body curvature. I left the latching mechanism in place and works fine. I am now fabricating a hood rod to complete the project. BTW I removed the old complex hinging device that some engineer had a nitemare and designed...

captain bud said:
I found a pair in stainless steel in a marine store in a plain plastic bag (manufacturer ??)

Lots of the stainless marine hardware is Chinese in origin, but that doesn't automatically mean it is inferior.  For critical applications on the boat, I always bought the best from a trusted manufacturer.  For hinges, as long as they don't rust (make certain it passes the magnet test - there should be zero magnetic attraction), you'll be fine.

Yes - my 'hood' and engine doors are a interesting engineering, but they work quite well.

I did a magnetic test, and had zero attraction. They had an offset to the hinge and looked like they were frofor cabinet hardware. The machine finish and the SSbolts and nuts were above Chinese quality..maybe I just lucked ut..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom