Rate the Bus Converters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryand

Hi All,
I'm pretty new to bus conversions and want an unbiased opinion. I'm looking for a big name converter and narrowed it down to 3: Marathon, Vantare (or is it Featherlite?), Liberty. I also heard about Parliament, Millennium ( small operation here in Central Florida) and Royal by Monaco (are they still making those?). Please let me know if I'm missing one. Any information on the following topics would be great!

1.) What are these converters known for? Liberty is  the most expensive, does that mean they're the best? I heard they 'hardwire' their coaches. What is Marathon and Featherlite known for? Does one have any exlusivle bells and whistles that will actually do something for me? Do any of them stick out as better service-providers (customer and technical)?

2.) Are there any horror stories about these coaches? If you talk to the dealers they all say their coach is the best and the others fall apart after a year. Any first-hand experiences?

3.) Who has who? My wife is fairly style-conscious. She doesn't want to be stuck with 'a bunch of rich rednecks.' What stereotypes are each converter associated with? Does anyone know if the younger crowd tends to buy a certain coach?

4.) VIP Clubs: Who has the best party? I don't know if people choose their coach by this criteria, but right now they all look they same to me.

Any other info would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance! -Ryan

Gasser and Lou,

The post was a genuine request for help from someone who was looking for a bus conversion company. Unfortunately, nobody responded.

I was previously only familiar with Marathon Coach as a Prevost bus converter. But I became familiar with the others he mentioned while attending the recent FMCA rally.

Tom  I too have heard of the types you refer to, but having no knowledge of Conversions expect those done by individuals, I thought best I zip my lips and fingers and that's mighty hard for me to do.

I don't know.? I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way because it came across so pretentious.? I also live in the south and the red-neck comment also rubbed me the wrong way.?

On edit:  Maybe I am just a red neck at heart! ;D

Yeah, but I'm on the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to being rich. but on the Top of the pole at being poor. Still a Redneck tho.? I prooved that with the junk I haul in my trailer.

Isn't "rich redneck" an oxymoron? I always thought part of being a redneck was being poor. ???

wendycoke said:
Isn't "rich redneck" an oxymoron? I always thought part of being a redneck was being poor. ???

Hi Wendy,

If you visit Dale Hollow Reservoir on the KY side and look at some of those 80+ foot houseboats with hottubs on the stern and a couple of Ski-Doos hanging from davits with KY registrations you will see a bunch of rich "rednecks". Of course that wealth may have something to do with the green leafy vegetation they're growing down there now in place of tobacco.    :D :D :D

Tom,
I accept your reprimand and apologize for my comments.? I will even apologize to RYAND (and his status conscious, rich redneck avoiding, wife) if he so desires.? I was just a bit offended as I too live in the south (NC) and may qualify as a rich redneck, since I have had TWO used RV's parked in my drive on more than one occasion.?

I couldn't resist the comments, but I do appreciate your position.? 'nuf said, lou

Hmm, when I think of a 'bus conversion,' I think of an old school or city bus that's been, well, 'converted' into a motorhome...still has all the windows, usually been painted a color other than school bus yellow, may look great, may look tacky.

I guess you could call a Prevost a 'bus conversion', but not in the presence of the owner ;D

Back in the 70's, there were lot's of conversions; mostly brightly painted with flowers and peace symbols. Some were even said to trail clouds of a strange smelling substance ::)

Karl said:
Back in the 70's, there were lot's of conversions; mostly brightly painted with flowers and peace symbols. Some were even said to trail clouds of a strange smelling substance ::)

That's exactly what I think of when I think of 'bus conversions.' There's still a lot of 'em, mostly in the southwest/west U.S., painted green, taking tourists, mostly students, around the country.  Used to come into Hovenweep occasionally. I believe they're looking for driver/tour guides. ;)

Tom said:
Gasser and Lou,

The post was a genuine request for help from someone who was looking for a bus conversion company. Unfortunately, nobody responded.

I was previously only familiar with Marathon Coach as a Prevost bus converter. But I became familiar with the others he mentioned while attending the recent FMCA rally.

Tom,

Country Coach is one of the premier Prevost conversion companies. They have won awards for their exterior paint schemes.

OnaQuest said:
Tom, I accept your reprimand and apologize for my comments.

What reprimand  ???  All I did was explain that the post was from someone looking for an answer.

Understood Jim. Monaco attempted to be in the bus conversion business with their Royale Coach, but they didn't sell very well. They were hauling the remaining few Royales around the rallies in an attempt to get rid of them.

Tom,

I've seen two of CC's conversion up close and personal as have others on the forum. Terry Nathan had two of them. I like the fact they were not as glitzy as many. It is possible to buy a Prevost conversion that does not look like a rolling bordello. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom