WB Journey Fog Lights failed VA State Inspection!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Snipe

Took my Journey in to my dealer for the annual VA state inspection and it failed because my fog lights work off a switch independent of the headlights.  Evidently, VA thinks that if I was to be driving with just my fog lights on and it got dark, I wouldn't know that my taillights were not on and someone could crash into the back of my MH.

I'm pretty sure that I'd notice my headlights were not on and I wouldn't be able to see my dash gauges, but VA thinks I'm not that smart.  ???

So to solve the problem, I had to have a relay installed to allow the fog lights to be on only if the headlghts are on.  It took an hour of labor ($120/hr) plus parts, etc to have it corrected.  :eek:

The rub is the law was in effect since 2005 and I bought my MH new in 2007.  This is the third time the dealer inspected it, it passed the last two years.  I argued that I was sold the MH in this condition, but didn't get any "love" on it.

Some days you can't win!  Just have to laugh.  ::)

Best Regards!

The basis of a lot of these regulations assumes the operator is a total and complete idiot.  You regulate to lowest common denometor and you are now the victim of regulation.

It seems every time I take a vehicle other than my MH in for inspection they always find something I need to jack up my bill.  Last time I had my Liberty inspected it was $800.  But I did know I needed brakes and the tires were getting there.  Just didn't plan on replacing them together.  I then had to turn down over $500 in RECOMMENDED repairs.  I take my MH to the local Winnie dealer and life is good.

Mr JJH said:
It seems every time I take a vehicle other than my MH in for inspection they always find something I need to jack up my bill. 

This is a major reason why I like having Florida residency - there is no vehicle inspection.  I dealt with state inspections in Florida when you had to take your vehicle to a Florida state manned inspection station and you could be in line for literally hours if you procrastinated towards the end of the month (this is 40 years ago.)

Then in Texas, you could go to any approved location, but there were always  headlights that needed aligning for an extra fee - yeah - right.

Interesting...I too failed a vehicle inspection in Virginia for not having the the fogs relayed to the taillights, and that was IN HIGH SCHOOL...  I had installed the lights on a dedicated (isolated) switch with the relay on the ACC circuit and the guy made me rewire it.  Actually, he even helped me do it while at the inspection station (took 5 minutes to rewire the relay) for free.  

Haven't run into many inspectors with that kind of generosity since then...in fact I have had two turn me away for motorcycle inspections before I even got into the station.  Once for having non-DOT approved driving lights on my dual sport, and once for having street slicks on a sport bike (they were both legal, BTW).  Guess they've got to justify their job I guess. :-\

I can remember in Massachusetts when I was young it was TWICE a year! Spring & Fall inspections. Seemed like ball joints always needed replacement. It is a real inconvenience to bring a motor home in. All the inspections in the world will not stop the crazy drivers changing lanes without signals and following to close or pulling out in front of my unit.

In 12 years of Texas safety inspections, the only repair we have ever had to make was a damaged windshield wiper on the car.  Nothing ever on the motorhome.

I have lived in two states (Ark and SD that have done away with mandatory inspection, because will not do a proper inspection for the fee and requiring Unneeded work to pass.  I always made it a practice to never4 have any work done at the inspection station. 

Tony

Picked up my MH today, the dealer gave me $40 off the bill as a gesture for missing the defect the last two years.  :)

Some times you win a little!  ;D

Best Regards!

Back
Top Bottom