SLide Out Troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azbeachboy

We have a 38 foot fifth wheel with a 16 foot slideout.  We keep the trailer in Rocky Point, Mexico and we have a hard time getting the slide to slide out and, more importantly, slide in.  This is our first trailer with a slide out.  The trailer is only 1 1/2 years old.  We think the elements (the trailer is on the beach)are getting to the mechanism that makes it work.  What should we do???

Thank you,
Chuck

azbeachboy said:
We have a 38 foot fifth wheel with a 16 foot slideout.? We keep the trailer in Rocky Point, Mexico and we have a hard time getting the slide to slide out and, more importantly, slide in.? This is our first trailer with a slide out.? The trailer is only 1 1/2 years old.? We think the elements (the trailer is on the beach)are getting to the mechanism that makes it work.? What should we do???

Inspect, clean if necssary and lube, This is known as routine prevenetive maintance.  If you have your owner's manual it will explain it to you, if not you might ask someone if you can glance at theirs, if not then Woodalls publishes a general "RV Owner's Manual" which is not rig specific but covers most of the more popular brands when it comes to appliances, AC, furnance, plumbing and slides

John has given you some great advice.  Preventative maintenance is important.  Since it isn't working now I would clean and lubricate the slide drive moving parts.

Ron said:
John has given you some great advice.  Preventative maintenance is important.  Since it isn't working now I would clean and lubricate the slide drive moving parts.

Ron,  I should mention I had to take my own advice recently... Jacks on my brand new MH were retracting slow, very slow

Mentioned it here, long thread about what to oil them with,  Broke out the owner's manual before doing anything and used the manafacturer's recommended lubicrant (which is not what I would have thought they recommend) and hit the retract all jacks button.

Blanged things popped up so fast I could imagine a THUD as they hit full retraction (there was not a thud, but I could imagine) good as new they were.

Those manuals are well worth the effort to lug them around

(Met a friend at lunch the other day.. Told him I got a new Motor Home... Mentioned they come with an owner's manual, Ask wife to show him the manual (Since it was beside her) she said "i'm not digging around in the bag for the manual" I told her the bag WAS the manual  it's about fifteen pounds of paper)

Chuck,

You may have rust build up on the tracks from the salt air. When you lube be sure to use a proper slide out lube! Anything else could attract dirt over time and make it even worse to move the slide.

The drive mechanism is not the only thing to clean and lubricate on a slide. The rubber seals that brush against the sides, top & bottom can also get dirty or maybe even salt-encrusted if you are on an ocean beach. Same for the exposed underside of the slide, which has to ride up and over the edge (and probably the interior carpets as well) when the slide retracts.  All of these things contribute to friction and slow moving slides.  Simple cleaning is usually sufficient, but some folks use a "slide out lubricant" (usually  a pure silicone lubricant spray) on the seals, which is supposed to preserve them as well as providing smoother operation.  Don't put it on the underside itself, though, or you may spread it onto the carpets.  Be parsimonious - excess lubricant collects dirt and then spreads it around.

One dealer recommended that I use a slushy solution of dish detergent & water to clean and lube the slide seals.  It is an excellent degreaser and a decent lubricant that won't harm the rubber or carpets.  Makes sense, but I don't know how long it clings or retains its lubricant qualities.  But he used it on our balky slide and it then worked smooth as silk for the next several weeks.  Then our factory techs simply waxed the underside and got pretty much the same effect.

My trailer is a elite special edition and didn't come with a real owners manual. The bedroom slide works great. The slide with the problem works on a chain and tooth principal. Thanks for all the informaion.
Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom