correct way to use the toilet in the MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nrglog

When we park for one or two days should we connect to the sewer or not?  I am finding that if I don't I get an odor but today, hooked up to the sewer I still get a slight odor?

Hooking up to the sewer will make no difference, however if you do - do not leave the dump valve open.  This would likely create an odor problem.  Most of us hookup to the sewer but keep the dump valve closed until it is time to dump.  Dumping to early (before the black water tank is fairly full) or leaving the valve open when connected will cause a stinky brown pyramid to form just below your toilet. 

If you do decide to leave the hose connected it is a good idea to form a small trap in the hose to keep flies etc. from coming up.

Make sure you have a layer of water in your black water tank.  This will eliminate most odors by itself.  After I dump and close the drain valve, I fill the toilet to the top and flush it 5 or 6 times to put some water in the black tank.  This way the solids in the tank will spread out and dissolve instead of just gathering in a lump under the toilet.

If needed, I'll dump the tanks when I first arrive at a site.  Otherwise, I'll connect the sewer hose but leave both the black and grey tank valves closed.  Both to keep sewer flies out of the tank (as mentioned above) and to collect water in the grey water tank.  Once or twice a week, I'll go outside and dump the black tank, then dump the grey - flushing the grey water through the hose after the black has emptied will do a pretty good job of cleaning out the hose.    After I'm done, and the drain valves are closed, I'll go inside and put the initial water charge into the black tank.

was told to wait to dump black water (toilet) holding tank until about 3/4 full or so - it dumps much better than if half full or less.
If you really need to empty the tank - fill up nearly full with water, then dump.
for storage and travel - as hot as it is in Az - we always keep about 1/4 of a tank of clean water and chemicals in both holding tanks when not using it - just to keep it from drying out completely in the heat.
always best to keep the tanks closed when parked - never leave the valve open and expect your wastes to go down the drain. and like mentioned above - dumping grey water after black helps clean the hose out.

All of the above information is correct and should be followed. One thing not mentioned above; always make sure you leave some water in the toilet bowl after flushing. If you allow the bowl to sit dry you can have sewer gasses from your holding tank coming up through the bowl. leaving water in the bowl insures a good tight seal.

Just a suggestion, most of us do NOT use any chemicals in the black tank.  It defeats the bacterial process needed in the black tank and often creates more odors.

Marsha~

We use chemicals in our black water holding tank....I can't imagine the smell if you don't.  :eek:

Also, the old standby advise about waiting until your black holding tank is at least 3/4 full before dumping is good advise....make sure your gray water is about half full so you can dump that tank after dumping the black water tank so you can rinse out any solids in the hose.

Believe it or not, a properly functioning black tank without chemical additives produces less smell than one that's chemically enhanced.   The key is to start with a layer of water and let the normal bacterial action do it's job.

FrontrangeRVer said:
We use chemicals in our black water holding tank....I can't imagine the smell if you don't.   :eek:

It will probably be less, but perhaps not right away. All the chemicals have to get completely out of the holding tank to let nature do its job correctly. IOW, if you decide to stop using the chemicals, expect more smells for a while but significantly less after a while. And I don't mean only  because you get immune to the smells. ;D

IOW, it's best to NOT start using chemicals or  you get stuck with needing them.

-Don- SSF, CA​

Every time I see this thread reappear on my unread list, I'm tempted to answer the question based only on the information given in the title of "Correct way to use the toilet in the MH".

My answer would be to lift the lid, sit squarely in the center, tuck in any overhanging body parts, hold on to the towel bar and let nature take it's course.  However, being much to couth and sophisticated for such a crass retort, I will refrain.

BTW - I don't use any chemicals in my black tank either, unless you count all that well filtered vodka.

In March 2008, after attending the SE Rally where I talked to several experienced RV'ers, I quit using chemicals. No odor problem since. Only advice I may have is: turn off your fantastic fan while flushing.

I also am a fan of using Calgon (either liquid or dry) in both the black and gray tanks.  It makes the walls very slippery which helps keep things from sticking.  I also use about a 1/4 cup of dishwashing liquid when we drive, so that it sloshes around a bunch.  When we get to the campground, I usually dump that liquid and start fresh.  Some folks have more odors from their gray tank than their black tank.

Roy

FrontrangeRVer said:
We use chemicals in our black water holding tank....I can't imagine the smell if you don't.   :eek:

Also, the old standby advise about waiting until your black holding tank is at least 3/4 full before dumping is good advise....make sure your gray water is about half full so you can dump that tank after dumping the black water tank so you can rinse out any solids in the hose.

Well, I don't use chemicals (other than H2O) in the black tank and I can't imagine the smell either.. and my nose works very well.. No smell...

UP ON THE ROOF is a pipe, with cap which I do adimt I replaced with one of the odor suckers (The RV-360 as I recall) that act like a weathervane in addition to creating a very slight vacuum if the wind is blowing or the rig is moving.  But even without that there is no smell,  First the tank is sealed with respect to the rig save when dumping, 2nd, if you know how sewer systems work (I'm a country boy) they basically don't stink.  At least not unless you make 'em stink.

The vent pipe takes any odor up out of your way,

Oh, if I'm going to be putting the rig into winter storage,,, Then I use chemicals

1/2 cup each Calgon Water softner, and Dawn Dishwashing liquid, 5-6 Gallons water, And DRIVE, about 70 miles the last time, then dump.

Following that the sensors read full for about a day or two, then empty (And the tank was indeed full..... of soap bubbles)

NOTE: there is NO CHEMICAL you can put in the tank that will make the standard tank sensor work the way you think it should.. Can't be done.. Though the "Geo-Cleaning" method I just described will do it... Till you fill the tank again.

Marsha/CA said:
Just a suggestion, most of us do NOT use any chemicals in the black tank.  It defeats the bacterial process needed in the black tank and often creates more odors.

Marsha~

I can't for the life of me understand where you got your information.  In all the years I've been RVing, I've only met one other camper who used only water.  He had to dump daily (he had a big 5er) because of his water usage.  If I were to venture a guess, it would be that the majority of RVers WILL use chemicals. 

I follow a semi-Geo method.  Semi because in extremely hot weather I will ALWAYS use some chemicals.

I think you'll find that most of the long time RVers here don't use any chemicals in the holding tanks, other than an occasional shot of soap.  The commonly used chemicals at best mask the odor somewhat with another obnoxious chemical odor, and at worst, retard or destroy the natural bacterial action of the holding tanks, increasing the odor problem.  To avoid odors, let the tank do it's job by not dumping until it's at least 2/3 full and see that the vent pipe is'nt obstructed and don't let the tank fill up above the vent inlet.

We stopped using chemicals years ago as have most RVers who use their RVs for extended periods.  NO SMELL !!!  What I can't speak to is weekend warriors.

sheltie said:
I can't for the life of me understand where you got your information.  In all the years I've been RVing, I've only met one other camper who used only water.  He had to dump daily (he had a big 5er) because of his water usage.  If I were to venture a guess, it would be that the majority of RVers WILL use chemicals.  

I follow a semi-Geo method.  Semi because in extremely hot weather I will ALWAYS use some chemicals.

I agree....I consider myself a "Long Time RVer" as I have over 25 years RV experience, and personally owning 13 RV's.....I would say I have NEVER met another RVer who didn't use chemicals.

It might be that only long time "framily" members here at RVForum don't use them.   ;D

FrontrangeRVer said:
It might be that only long time "framily" members here at RVForum don't use them.   ;D

And it might be those who are not in this forum don't know better and got hooked on MUST using the chemicals because of using them for so long.

-Don- SSF, CA​

FrontrangeRVer said:
I consider myself a "Long Time RVer" as I have over 25 years RV experience, and personally owning 13 RV's.....I

Mark, why 13 RV's in 25 years?  Did the black tanks all rot out from the chemicals.  ??? ::)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;) :D ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom