Pets in RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpykmpr

My wife and I are leaving in a couple weeks for a trip to Nova Scotia with us will be our three cats. I am wondering what we can expect when crossing the Canadian border as far as the cats are concerned. Their rabies shot and paperwork are up to date as we found  from the Canadian dept of agriculture web page that they needed to be. Now we are told by a friend that they will ask for a medical history on each of the cats, does anyone know if this is true and has anyone really been asked for a complete medical history. All info will be appreciated. Thanks

hpykmpr said:
My wife and I are leaving in a couple weeks for a trip to Nova Scotia with us will be our three cats. I am wondering what we can expect when crossing the Canadian border as far as the cats are concerned. Their rabies shot and paperwork are up to date as we found  from the Canadian dept of agriculture web page that they needed to be. Now we are told by a friend that they will ask for a medical history on each of the cats, does anyone know if this is true and has anyone really been asked for a complete medical history. All info will be appreciated. Thanks

We've been to Canada several times with our two doggies. But only to British Columbia. They will ask for papers to prove rabies shots.  Last time, they took our word that we had them locked up in the safe we have in the RV (which was true). They never even looked at them. 

I never heard of them asking for a complete history. If they do now, it must be a very recent change.

BTW, we always get hassled more trying to come back into the USA than to get into Canada.

BTW, make sure you have your passports.

-Don- SSF, CA​

Thanks for the info and what if I may ask do they require coming back into the US any special paperwork  for the pets that we do not need going into Canada.

hpykmpr said:
Thanks for the info and what if I may ask do they require coming back into the US any special paperwork  for the pets that we do not need going into Canada.

I don't recall the pets being a problem coming back into the USA, but again, you will need your passports. We usually go across the border at a strange time such as 0300 hrs. I think that's why we always get searched for drugs and all that, with drug sniffing dogs (back to the USA only, not going into Canada). They have us (our doggies too) wait inside as they run our driver's license  on a computer. They have nothing better to do at such times as then they are not very busy. It's still quicker than a middle of the day wait in line in any of the boarder crossings that are externally busy during the day.

BTW, not all the Canadian / USA  borders are open 24/7. It depends on where you enter.

-Don- SSF, CA​

We are planning on crossing at either Houlton or Calais  Maine

We have crossed with our pooch several times and neither the American or Canadian officials have shown any interest in her. Well, except once. The American officer was reaching for our documents and the dog poked her head up from my wife's lap to see what was going on. The hand momentarily froze. ;D

We have travelled from Canada into the US, and back again, at least 20 times with our 16 year old cat. We have only once been asked, at US Customs, for proof of rabies shots. Some state parks have asked for proof of rabies shots and a general health certificate, issued by a veterinarian in the last year.

A couple of years ago, we had four cans of cat food confiscated by US Customs. Needless to say, Susie the Cat was a little disgruntled until we could stop and replenish her food supply.

huronwoods said:
We have travelled from Canada into the US, and back again, at least 20 times with our 16 year old cat. We have only once been asked, at US Customs, for proof of rabies shots. Some state parks have asked for proof of rabies shots and a general health certificate, issued by a veterinarian in the last year.

A couple of years ago, we had four cans of cat food confiscated by US Customs. Needless to say, Susie the Cat was a little disgruntled until we could stop and replenish her food supply.

Maybe they had a couple hungry cats at home <S>

huronwoods said:
A couple of years ago, we had four cans of cat food confiscated by US Customs.

Was that because it was Canadian cat food?

What a deal. I bet they really do fed their own cats this way. Dogs too.  ;D

-Don- SSF, CA​

I was told it was because the cat food was manufactured in Canada. It could contain Canadian meat, which up until a few months ago, was contraband which was strictly forbidden, due to paranoia about mad cow disease. I understand that the rules have since been relaxed.

It is a similar situation if you try to bring citrus fruits into Canada from the US (forbidden), even though most of the fruit available in Canadian grocery stores comes from Florida or California!

Someone mentioned taking Citrus fruit into Canada from the US

The reverse is often the case too, Any transport of fruit or meat (other than live meat, IE: YOU) across the border may cause you stress. 

In some cases the concerns are genuine.. In others.. not so much

NOTE: this also applies to some state line crossings here in the US

Just so you know (IE: Crossing from AZ to CA you may have produce confisicated.. The other way however is open)

Please do not ask me why.. I don't live in CA.. Ask the inspector.. POLITELY

(When I've crossed into CA.. it was to buy fruit)

John From Detroit said:
Someone mentioned taking Citrus fruit into Canada from the US

The reverse is often the case too, Any transport of fruit or meat (other than live meat, IE: YOU) across the border may cause you stress. 

In some cases the concerns are genuine.. In others.. not so much

NOTE: this also applies to some state line crossings here in the US

Just so you know (IE: Crossing from AZ to CA you may have produce confisicated.. The other way however is open)

Please do not ask me why.. I don't live in CA.. Ask the inspector.. POLITELY

(When I've crossed into CA.. it was to buy fruit)

Or any other major road intio CA.  We have to go through a fruit check to get back to our SSF home on I-80 (in Truckee, CA)  or even if we go a few miles north of here on highway 395 (five miles south of highway 70 in CA).

But when they ask us if "any fruits?" , we say "just us two!"  ;D

-Don- Reno, NV​

[quote author=DonTom]But when they ask us if "any fruits?" , we say "just us two!"[/quote]

You have a good sense of humor Don.

Tom said:
You have a good sense of humor Don.

The last time we entered Canada (Peace Arch, just below Vancouver), we got to the boarder at around 0200 hrs and were asked a lot of questions. It was kinda funny. This was in our old junky 1978 RV.

First, we were asked if we had passports (even though not required at that time) but I (who was driving) said "yes, but they are locked up in the safe, I forgot to get them out at the last stop". Then he noticed the two doggies and asked about the rabies papers. He got the same answer. But he never asked to look at either, just took our word for it.

But then he asked which of us the RV was registered to. My reply was "to both of us".  And these papers I had right there and with both our  names on the registration,  and he did look at that.  He then looked all confused like he didn't know what questions to ask next and was hesitating, trying to figure why two guys would be on the same registration, trying to enter Canada at 0200 hrs.

Tom, who was not questioned, finally yells out "we live together!".

And then the boarder guard only said "Oh, okay, welcome to Canada!" and let us go.

-Don- (in rather hot Cold Springs Valley, NV)

Cute pet story.

OK, many of us here have kids or g-keds.  How about when distant cousins see g-folks with nearby cousins in room.  'That is my grandpa etc.  I remember from being a kid, plus with our kids when CA cuz came to RI. 

Well, yesterday Jolenes sister came by with her dog Squiggy, and he and Kodagot along great.  Now her Dad shows up, and Koda remembers him and jumps on lap.  Squiggy does his 'that is my grandpa' and growls, snaps and Koda has this surprised look.  Totally cracked us all up.

They truly are our furry kids. 

hpykmpr said:
Now we are told by a friend that they will ask for a medical history on each of the cats
Your friend is wrong.  The only thing the Candian regulations call for is a valid rabies certificate.  The certificate must contain some specific information...the specific regulations regarding cats (same as dogs) can be found here: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/felin2e.shtml

I understand going from the US to Canada and back inspectors can confiscate certain banned items but state to state? How would they even KNOW? Will I have to stop at the "weigh stations" when I cross a states border like the semi's do and get inspected? I bought my coach in New Hampshire last December and drove it home to Florida. I never stopped at any weigh station or agricultural inspection stations I just drove on past.

Back
Top Bottom