driver side power window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stateler

I've got a problem with the drivers side power window motor.  It will power down but not up. Took the motor apart and discovered the inside cogs were worn off. tried some JB Weld t build up the worn area but it didn't hold.  Called both the Winnebago parts suppliers in Iowa an was quoted a Ive $600 for the motor and regulator. This was for about $60 in parts to make the whole thing. I have ordered a Ford window motor from ORielly for $50 and hopefully I can fix the problem.  Does anybody have the same problem?.  I have a 1993 Vectra 33RQ, runs great, looks great. I really couldn't believe the quoted price for the new repair.

Welcome to the RV Forum, you'll find lotsa' good info here. 
$600 smackers wow :eek:!
Ya, mine goes up pretty slow like I've read many times on the Winnie forums....and mine is 10 years newer than yours.
I usually help it up by grabbing the top edge and pulling up while holding the switch.  Maybe this assist will help extend the life of the gears.  Seems to be under-designed and not very robust. 

Good luck with the substitute motor.  Let us know how it turns out.

Bill

Thanks for the post!

Mine goes up slower than poured molassis.....Single pane glass....energy hog..This will be the LAST motorhome we own with a driver's door.

Now....back on subject..... ;)

There's no way I am going to take apart my drivers door to lubricate something that has something to do with my electric window.  It's slow going up but I certainly dont like that its SINGLE PANE glass, and has absolutely no good seal to the outside elements.  Matter of fact, I have installed a locking handle (like a emergency window handle) on my door to try to keep it tightly closed as there is sooooo much air noise and energy loss around the "seals".

Winnebago must have thought it was nice to have an electric window on our driver's doors, but the dual pane manual slider window on the Sightseer we used to own was a MUCH better window than this contraption.  ::)

:) Thanks for all the replies, I fixed it, at least for a while.  Took the motor apart and found a metal triangular shaped cam that had worn the plastic stops on the supporting cup.  I mixed op some Oatey "Fix-it-Stick" all purpose bonding putty (Home Depot $4.99) and firmly pressed it into the points of the triangle on the plastic cup, let it harden for 24 hours, and it did the trick.  The window does still move slowly bu it goes up and down!!

Good deal!  Maybe you could find a custom small-job machine shop and have them replicate the part the next time it goes south.  Thanks for letting everybody know what the resolution was.

When I owned my Adventurer with the power window, I found that if I lubed the window tracks with a good squirt of silicone spray, it helped the window move easier.

Best Regards!

Stateler said:
:) Thanks for all the replies, I fixed it, at least for a while.  Took the motor apart and found a metal triangular shaped cam that had worn the plastic stops on the supporting cup.  I mixed op some Oatey "Fix-it-Stick" all purpose bonding putty (Home Depot $4.99) and firmly pressed it into the points of the triangle on the plastic cup, let it harden for 24 hours, and it did the trick.  The window does still move slowly bu it goes up and down!!
Were there any tricks to getting door panel off or is it pretty simple?

I had my door panel off a couple of years back and it was no problem.  A few screws and you can open it up.  A few connectors to unplug and you can take it clear off.

I'm going to spray some silicone on the two slots and see if that doesn't help some.

Bill

thanks duner. I didnt know if it took special tools or had hidden clips. I think i have sand or something on the felt because its starting to scratch the window

Back
Top Bottom