Tires are rubbing leveling jacks when making extreme turns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jus42day4me

Hello there,
We are new to RVing. I have found this forum and love it!!!
;D We just got a 1995 Adventurer ( 34') last month and have had it out once. It has 40,000 miles on it and seems to be in great condition.Of course, there are a few things. My main question today is this: my husband told me that he realized that when he turns the front tires they rub on the leveling jacks. This can't be the design, :-\ can it? Please give us a little guidance and thank you!!

Hey there and welcome!  We're glad to have you aboard!

The first thing I would check is to be sure the tire size is correct.  I occasionally hear about owners going to a larger tire size, or different tire profile (i.e., fatter) and that kind of problem can happen during extreme turns.

Are you on a P-30 chassis?  That happened to be a narrow track chassis until Workhorse took it over and upgraded the chassis to a wide track. 

John might have hit the nail on the head....are your tires the right/correct size?

Thank you for your replies! I've told my husband and he is going to check that out. As soon as I know, I will let you all know.
Connie Jo

Well, we checked and the front tires are 10 inches wide instead of the recommended 8 inches. The back four and the spare are the correct width. So, we are no going to shop for tires for the front. Any suggestions?
Thanks again,
Connie Jo ;D

Hi again, I forgot to say that we are on a P-30 chassis. 
Please explain what the following meant:
"That happened to be a narrow track chassis until Workhorse took it over and upgraded the chassis to a wide track. "
We are still learning and hope this isn't a silly question.
Thanks again!
Connie Jo

Good to hear that the tires on your unit are going to be replaced to the correct width.  I am presuming these are 19" tires.  I am a big fan of the Michelin XRV tires especially made for motorhomes, and will do good with the UV protection.  :)

On the P-30 Chassis, the front axle was a fairly narrow width until Workhorse bought the chassis from Chevrolet, and then they widened the width at least 12" (can't remember the exact width).  This did stabilize the chassis a bit.

Connie - do an Internet search on "P30 chassis" - there are several aftermarket modifications available that improve the handling/ride.  My friend has a 2000 Trek on a P30 and he just added a rear sway bar which greatly improved the stability on the road.  I think he also has air bags.

I did the search and shared the info with my husband. The previous owner told us that he had ordered a sway bar or stabelizer for the back end when he first got the coach. It has air bags on the front. At this point it handles well. Do you think that when we switch down to 8 inch tires the handling will be impacted?
I appreciate your patience and help in learning about this RV. There is a pretty steep learning curve,  ???IMHO, and we can use all the support we can get. My husband and I continue to spend every spare minute learning about it.
Thank you,
Connie Jo

jus42day4me said:
I did the search and shared the info with my husband. The previous owner told us that he had ordered a sway bar or stabelizer for the back end when he first got the coach. It has air bags on the front. At this point it handles well. Do you think that when we switch down to 8 inch tires the handling will be impacted?

Sounds like the previous owner already upgraded the chassis.  There might be a little difference in handling with a different width tire, but I would stick with the specified tire.  Also, be sure you weigh the coach - at least front and rear axle.  Weighing all four corners is the best to have an idea of how to distribute your cargo.  Once you know the axle weights, air the tires up to the tire manufacturer's specified pressure for your weight (and add five pounds for a margin of safety.)

Hello there,
I juste  wanted to thank everyone for the help on this topic. We got six new tires and it is such a relief. When we got them put on, due to what I learned on this board, I made sure they put Equal in all of them, also. When we checked the date codes on our tires, they were old!!! I think two were from 1989, if I have learned how to read the date codes, which horrifies me, two were from 2000 and two were from the mid 90's.  We are still learning, ofcourse.
Thanks for having this board!!!
Connie Jo

Back
Top Bottom