Purchasing a TT Through RVDirect.com -- Too Good To Be True?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

519sledr

I am looking for feedback on purchasing a travel trailer from RV Direct.com.  What are the pro's and con's?
Has anyone from Ontario purchased from them?  I will have to pay sales tax when I register it in Ontario.
The price quotes they have given me blow away any local prices I have received even after the conversion to Canadian currency.
I would like to stick with a local dealer for the benefit have having a dealer close by but there is a $3000.00 difference in price on the Jayco Jay Flight models I am interested in.  I can always use the pricing information from RV Direct in negotiations with my local dealer I guess.

It appears that this is too good to be true. 
Thanks for the feedback.

The biggest problem buying from a distant source, IMO, is service after the sale.  And almost without fail, your RV will need some dealer attention after delivery to get the "bugs" out.  Sure, all Jayco dealers are required to provide warranty service to all Jayco owners, but if your local dealer were not given a fair chance to compete for the sale, they're not gonna be too thrilled about doing the work in an expedient manner.

I would use RVDirect's quote as a bargaining tool, and even be willing to pay the local dealer a bit more for the "after sale service".

Let us know how you come out!!

You could probably get the same price yourself if you shopped the US market for the lowest price and bargained hard. Local dealers seldom have the best price, but their advantage is, well, they are local.  If you travel a lot, you are going to be getting your service elsewhere anyway, but if you are mostly near home when you need service, the good will of the local guy may have some value (assuming he is the kind of dealer who treats his customers well after the sale, which is not a given).  The biggest value to having a local dealer on your side is if you get a lemon, and all RV manufacturers make them from time to time. Hard to put a price on that, though.

Make sure you understand ALL the import fees and taxes before you commit to buying in the USA.

I have already done my homework on importing a trailer.  The only additional cost to bring it into Canada is $206.00 fee to kick off the RIV process.  This fee and the 5% GST tax will be paid at the time the trailer is brought back across the border.  The next step is an inspection at a Canadian Tire.  Finally you go register it where you pay the remaining 8% PST portion of our new HST.  Comparing prices on similar Jayco Jay Flight trailers the savings using RVDirect amounts to approximately $5000.00 which is a nice chunk of change.

We shopped around and found that RVdirect was lowest by far.  There were some dealers in Michigan that also came close.  We took that quoted price to negotiate with a local Jayco dealer in here in California.  He sold the Jayflight G2 to us for the same lowest price we found on the net..... one catch.... we will go to Indiana to pick it up.  Road Trip!  Woohoo.  It works for us because we are saving $5000 over the lowest price in California, plus we get a trip out of it with some of that savings.  But the best part is that we still are buying through a "local" dealer and get all of the perks of servicing etc, locally. 

Hope this works for you being in Canada.  Good luck and have fun shopping.  That's part of the experience  ;)

The Canadian dollar is expected to be at par with the US dollar by the end of the year so the savings of RVDirect could exceed $6000.  Even the slight increase this week has dropped our total price by 550 bucks.  I have only found one negative comment about RVDirect.com.  The gentleman was new to RV'ing AND towing and was alittle too passive with his walk thru and didn't ask enough questions about his hitch setup.  Other than this I have only found positive comments.

I bought from RVDirect in June 09 I saved over $4300.00 ..the PDI was outsatnding Gary in IN, is really nice to work with if you find anything wrong he will fix it right on the spot.. I could not find anything wrong with my trailor when I picked it up.. Have been using the trailer since in leaving Texas in July I am in Boston MA right now. Local dealer warranty is not worth much when you are away from home. plan on going to Texas in Nov.for 4 months before I leave again. Still haven't found anything wrong with the trailer...2010 Rockwood Windjammer 3001...Good Luck buy from RVDirect.

Back
Top Bottom